Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2020/21 Europa League

167891012»

Comments

• Lol.
    Say ooh aah Mortimer, say ooh aah Mortimer
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58080796
    Shame more Europa league football ruined by reports of racism. No surprise to see it involving a team from Prague 

Shame more Europa league football ruined by reports of racism. No surprise to see it involving a team from Prague 

Same old suspects…
  • Joe Hart in goal for Celtic this afternoon. 
    Winning 2-1 after 17 minutes. 
  • I’m watching TNS leading Viktoria Plzen 4-0. Amazing performance. 
  • Yeah I’m not sure how many teams wanna bother with that Conference. Extra games just to get into the Europa League, utterly pointless for plenty of teams. Vitesse drew at home to Dundalk. 

In Europa League, Galatasary drew at home to St Johnstone.
  • I think the Conference League could actually be a good idea. Similar to the Nations League for international teams it will give the smaller clubs more competitive group games and the chance to win some matches. 

They have essentially just split the Europa League in half.
    Previously each country would get 3 spots in the Europa League (ranging from qualifying round to group stage) now almost all the teams in countries ranked outside the top 15 will go straight to the Conference League instead. 
    Which in turn means the Europa League is smaller and has teams from the top 15 nations in. (with few exceptions if a countries league champion fail to qualify for the Champions League or get through 4 knockout rounds first).

Obviously not very attractive for a team like Spurs but they finished 7th. What do they want for finishing behind West Ham?
    Besides, winning the Conference League may well be Spurs best chance of Europa League qualification.

Don’t know if we can change the thread title to this year, but I see a team from Prague let in 10,000 school children and they booed every touch Kamara made. Who said it doesn’t come from home…
  • I think the Conference League could actually be a good idea. Similar to the Nations League for international teams it will give the smaller clubs more competitive group games and the chance to win some matches. 

They have essentially just split the Europa League in half.
    Previously each country would get 3 spots in the Europa League (ranging from qualifying round to group stage) now almost all the teams in countries ranked outside the top 15 will go straight to the Conference League instead. 
    Which in turn means the Europa League is smaller and has teams from the top 15 nations in. (with few exceptions if a countries league champion fail to qualify for the Champions League or get through 4 knockout rounds first).

Obviously not very attractive for a team like Spurs but they finished 7th. What do they want for finishing behind West Ham?
    Besides, winning the Conference League may well be Spurs best chance of Europa League qualification.
    Agree with this, it's giving teams from countries like Estonia and Gibraltar a chance to play group stage games they'd never normally get a chance at.

My only gripe with it though is that it should be left as is, with the 2 group winners going through to the knockouts. But instead teams who finish 3rd in the Europa league groups then get a chance to go into it (if they win a play off). You shouldn't be rewarded for finishing 3rd in a Europa league group!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    Looks like Leicester have found Vardy's replacement. Patson Daka. He's scored 4 goals tonight, including the Europa league's quickest ever hat trick (9 minutes) away at Spartak Moscow after they were 2-0 down
  • A contrasting night for Glasgow.

Europa league - Dortmund 2 Rangers 4
    Conference league - Celtic 1 Bodo/Glimt 3
  • Never heard of Celtic's opponents - they sound like a character from Lord of the Rings.
  • They beat Roma 6-1 back in October in a group game.