Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 2020/21

Comments

• Options
    Roland's building caught fire?
  • Options
    We need more of this, fans have for too long, been excluded from decision making of their clubs. It works best in the Premiere league, because of its high profile, but its effect will reverberate down the leagues. I don't condone the injury to the police, but direct action by the fans is the way forward. We have experienced this at Charlton, and direct action has had an effect, culminating against Farnell and the Hale 12. Sandgaard specifically quoted the passion and action of Charlton fans was one of the reasons that he was attracted to Charlton. I've heard a lot of moaning on the radio from people saying that that it spoiled their afternoon, that's the purpose of protests, to create maximum disruption with lots of media coverage. 
    I'm disappointed with the BBC coverage, they are turning into a mouthpiece for the government, scared to support the fans who are fighting against the greed of rich owners, getting on phone calls that are criticising the action of fans.
  • Options
    The crew on TV here in America is saying over and over that United fans “went too far”. I have to disagree. I realize this is a minority view.

Does anyone think the potential SL owners have learned their lesson? No chance. They regret how they rolled it out, not the idea itself. Next time they will hire a PR firm to do this, but it will happen. Unless the owners get the shit scared out of them. Peaceful protests are not going to do that. Club ownership in most of Europe is not a democracy. It’s a totalitarian regime. Peaceful protests don’t remove such regimes. 

For me this is identical to when Roland’s building caught fire. It was only after that incident that he started to get serious about selling. This event today is not like Trump supporters storming the capital, which was an affront to democracy. Today was a protest against non-democracy. Very different.

If this happens at all the other SL clubs (one or two times) then maybe they will think twice. Otherwise I think a SL is still inevitable. The owners will just pay off a few more groups and people to make it happen.
    The owners won’t give a monkeys about this. It will be inconvenient to have to pay a little extra for another fixture but there are very few owners that care a toss about what the fans think; we’ve had at least of those in the last 15 years 
  • Options
    Good on the protestors who organised non-violent direct action. Too many pisstakers across society think they're above being held to account when their actions and greed affect people's lives. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Don't know why the English clubs even thought about the Super League, the Premier League IS the Super League. 

Everything people criticised the Super League about is already true in the Premier League. There's a lack of competition, the 3 sides that go up usually go down 1 or 2 years later. There is zero ability to break into the top 6 without billionaire investment. 
    The super league was to replace the champions league, not the Premier league.  They want to have the cake and eat it. 
    Yes but the public so upset about the Super League are happy with the Premier League. They're the same thing with the same issues. 
    They aren't at all, the premier league is far from perfect but they are the same. 
    se9addick said:
    Don't know why the English clubs even thought about the Super League, the Premier League IS the Super League. 

Everything people criticised the Super League about is already true in the Premier League. There's a lack of competition, the 3 sides that go up usually go down 1 or 2 years later. There is zero ability to break into the top 6 without billionaire investment. 
    I don't think Leicester spent billions, the idea of Leicester getting promoted then winning the league is nul and void in the Super League ideology. This is the crux of the issue. 
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leicester-city/alletransfers/verein/1003

Owner worth £5 billion. 

1 freak occurrence in 30 years is really good enough for you? 
    But Leicester's triumph showed that it is possible.

The Not-So Super League wouldn't allow a "little" club like the Foxes take part.
    A little club with a £5bn owner. 

Dreams do come true.

The Super League also had a number of 'invitations' open to clubs to fill the full league. So you can't say that for a fact. I hate the Super League but the Premier League is genuinely no better.
    Utter nonsense, the Premier League isn’t perfect but it isn’t anywhere near as bad as what was being proposed.
    You don't think the Premier League clubs would love to breakaway from the EFL if they knew they could get away with it? Of course they would. 
    Oh shit, you don’t actually know what you’re talking about! It all makes sense now. 
  • Options
    if if Sky were not showing the Spurs game I wonder if the Man U game would have not been postponed 
  • Options
    A legacy fan, lol

What next?
    'Dying breed fan?'
    'Old fashioned stadium spectating fan'

Protests are not a choice but an obligation when such vocabulary as 'legacy fan' even exists.

• Options
    Coming late to this but when I heard there were protests I thought ‘good on them’ and more so when they got the game abandoned. BUT when I heard of the violence, the criminal activity, the injuries to police officers then those involved lost all respect and turned what could have been a very positive protest into just thuggery for the sake of it. I’m glad we didn’t descend to those levels.
  • Options
    Sheffield United have gone from strength to strength since Wilder left...........
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Souness has got this completely wrong. 
    Not surprising really. Bloke is a complete cretin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if if Sky were not showing the Spurs game I wonder if the Man U game would have not been postponed 
    This - had their been no later game then I reckon this would’ve been played 
  • Options
    I'm very cynical about the protests yesterday and whether they were anything to do with the ESL.

Gary Neville said yesterday that the fans were protesting over the ownership, debt and lack of investment in to the stadium. He later went on to say that Manchester United needed to buy a world-class striker, right winger and centre back - plus a central midfielder if they sell Pogba.

Man City potentially on for a treble too.

Is the debt and ownership really an issue? Smells a little bit like the spoiled kid crying on their friends birthday because they haven't got any presents.
  • Options
    I'm very cynical about the protests yesterday and whether they were anything to do with the ESL.

Gary Neville said yesterday that the fans were protesting over the ownership, debt and lack of investment in to the stadium. He later went on to say that Manchester United needed to buy a world-class striker, right winger and centre back - plus a central midfielder if they sell Pogba.

Is the debt and ownership really an issue? Smells a little bit like the spoiled kid crying on their friends birthday because they haven't got any presents.
    Man Utd fans have been protesting against the Glazers almost from Day One.

I would say the club's involvement in the Not-So Super League merely opened up another avenue of attack against the owners and one likely to attract more media coverage at the moment as it's football's cause de jour.
  • Options

The "debt" has taken over a billion pounds out of the club.   At the same time the owner of their local rivals have put over a billion in.

It's criminal, in the true sense, what has been allowed to happen. When the same thing happens to Burnley and they fall into league 1, or worse, there will be outrage. 

Just because United are "only" in the top 4 defelcts a lot of the issue for those who aren't emotionally invested in it. 
  • Options

Man Utd fans have been protesting against the Glazers almost from Day One.

I would say the club's involvement in the Not-So Super League merely opened up another avenue of attack against the owners and one likely to attract more media coverage at the moment as it's football's cause de jour.
    A super league that would've just meant the Glazers taking even more money out of the club.

United make enough money to spend 200m on players every year and not have to worry about FFP. But they don't because of the Glazers loan repayments and the dividends they pay themselves. 

People knock City and PSG and Chelsea for being oil clubs but their owners spend a lot simply because they want to win things and improve their squads (every fans dream owners). The Glazers only interest is how much money they can take out of the club, which is now somewhere between 1.5 and 2 billion since they took over.
  • Options
    I think it's unfair to compare clubs with the likes of City, PSG or Chelsea which are playthings for oil states or Russian oligarchs, both prepared to waste money on football. It's unhealthy the expectation that owners should be sugar daddies, pumping in more and more of their money to buy more players on inflated wages and fees

The Glazers are at the other extreme though, talking money out of the club, either through dividends or interest on the debt they imposed on the club. Yes the club is still top 4, but the stadium is starting to show its age now for example
  • Options
    I think it's unfair to compare clubs with the likes of City, PSG or Chelsea which are playthings for oil states or Russian oligarchs, both prepared to waste money on football. It's unhealthy the expectation that owners should be sugar daddies, pumping in more and more of their money to buy more players on inflated wages and fees

The Glazers are at the other extreme though, talking money out of the club, either through dividends or interest on the debt they imposed on the club. Yes the club is still top 4, but the stadium is starting to show its age now for example
    Haven't been up there since our Premier league days so would be interested to know in what way the stadium is aging. (Looks OK on the TV).

Serious question as interested, not saying you're wrong. 
  • Options
    Don't agree with the violence but it annoys me how large sections of the media are focussed on that rather than the issues.

A lot of protests get ignored unless they are more extreme. 
    Absolutely. They didn't spend the first fifteen minutes of MOTD talking about the protests outside Stamford Bridge or The Library. If the Arsenal and Chelsea fans had broken into the stadium and got the match postponed then they would have got more airtime. I hope they now go and copy the Man Utd fans (without injury to others). 

If they want change then hit the league and TV companies in the pocket. Society over the last 5-10 years shows that protest with disruption and inconvenience as a consequence achieves nothing, sadly.
  • Options

Haven't been up there since our Premier league days so would be interested to know in what way the stadium is aging. (Looks OK on the TV).

I've heard stories of a leaky roof in the Bobby Charlton stand a couple of years ago, the legroom in much of the ground isn't great and there are no plans to complete the ground expansion on the final side, especially as having to expand the disabled areas means capacity has been falling

Of course it's still a fine stadium but it was all built before the Glazers took over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I went about 3 years ago, only out side, it's not quite falling down, but it's shocking to be honest.  Especially the bits you don't see on TV, paint falling off, rust, dirty. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021

I've heard stories of a leaky roof in the Bobby Charlton stand a couple of years ago, the legroom in much of the ground isn't great and there are no plans to complete the ground expansion on the final side, especially as having to expand the disabled areas means capacity has been falling

Of course it's still a fine stadium but it was all built before the Glazers took over.
    There was a game (can't remember against who) a year or so ago where the water was literally pouring down through a hole in the roof of the stand.

Pretty poor really when you think how much money the club make but the owners won't pay to fix a roof.
  • Options

Manchester United's postponed home Premier League match with Liverpool has been rearranged for Thursday, 13 May (20:15 BST).

• Options
    clive said:

Manchester United's postponed home Premier League match with Liverpool has been rearranged for Thursday, 13 May (20:15 BST).

Only 2 days after they play Leicester, potentially good news for Leicester if United prioritise the Liverpool match
  • Options
    The most shocking thing about the Glazers is Avram's hair. Makes Gerry Francis look cool
  • Options
    The most shocking thing about the Glazers is Avram's hair. Makes Gerry Francis look cool
    Bill Bailey but worse.
  • Options
    Spurs have announced they'll have 10,000 fans for their last game of the season against Aston Villa

Adult ticket prices will be £60, Young Adult: £45, Over 65 / U18: £30

Are those prices normal for them???
  • Options
    Probably.
  • Options
    Spurs have announced they'll have 10,000 fans for their last game of the season against Aston Villa

Adult ticket prices will be £60, Young Adult: £45, Over 65 / U18: £30

Are those prices normal for them???
    Good job these clubs value their fans so highly. If for example I wanted to take my 4 year olds twins that would cost me £120 just to get through the turnstile. Absolutely disgusting but nothing new for Spurs