Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving House - BR7

Comments

• Options
    What's the anti social behaviour like? ;-)
  • Options
    You can change the house but not your location.

Round the back of Westmount road area of Eltham is within your price bracket. Lovely area. 
  • Options
    I used to live in BR1.  

Good schools.  3 stations Chislehurst ,  Bickley (different line) and Elmstead Woods.  Nice area overall.  I asume you have checked these area's though.  
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Round the back of Westmount road area of Eltham is within your price bracket. Lovely area. 
    Hey, yeah that area is definitely somewhere we are keen on too.

I have basically set up an alert on Zoopla for all properties that meet my criteria within 0.5 miles of the stations:

Sidcup
    Elmstead Woods
    Abbey Wood
    Falconwood
    Westcombe Park
    New Eltham
    Eltham
    Charlton
    Kidbrooke
    Mottingham
    Grove Park
    Hither Green

The idea being that they are all pretty decent commuter areas. The question then becomes what we get for the cash, and the kind of area it is in, which will no doubt remove a couple of those from the list.

Taking my mum and brother to the second viewing of the Chiselhurst (can I get away with saying I live in Chislehurst if I move there?) so will be interested to hear what they say.

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    ChiAddick said:

Hey, yeah that area is definitely somewhere we are keen on too.

I have basically set up an alert on Zoopla for all properties that meet my criteria within 0.5 miles of the stations:

Sidcup
    Elmstead Woods
    Abbey Wood
    Falconwood
    Westcombe Park
    New Eltham
    Eltham
    Charlton
    Kidbrooke
    Mottingham
    Grove Park
    Hither Green

The idea being that they are all pretty decent commuter areas. The question then becomes what we get for the cash, and the kind of area it is in, which will no doubt remove a couple of those from the list.

Taking my mum and brother to the second viewing of the Chiselhurst (can I get away with saying I live in Chislehurst if I move there?) so will be interested to hear what they say.

Yep its Chislehurst. 
  • Options
    Moved to Chislehurst 3 years ago from Bexley and don't regret it for a millisecond. Great area and so much to do. If you've come from Blackheath, it's the only comparable area in SE London. I've also lived in Blackheath. I'm more by the Bull and the Royal Parade but know a little around where you're looking.

That side of Chislehurst is a bit hit and miss - there's some lovely bits and some not as nice bits. To be honest, the bad bits aren't bad - just not as posh as some of the other parts of Chislehurst.

There is a big part of Mottingham that pretends it's Chislehurst, but the bit you're looking at certainly isn't Mottingham.

The Gordon Arms is a bit rough, but then I know some very wealthy people around here who love it. 

There can be a bit of trouble now and again, but it gets blown up as it's unusual for the area. More often than not, it's people travelling into the area too.

• Options
    Thanks a lot. Yeah the conclusion I am coming to is whereas I live in the kind of area where you hear a load of people screaming and shouting at each other, you don't even raise an eyebrow, round there (Beechwood Rise) some old Doris would ring in a loud fart to the police. 

Bloke I spoke to said that there's a group WhatsApp where people share any kind of goings on etc. 
  • Options
    Getting to a train station (chis or elmstead) from BR7 (Kemnal road side) is a pain in rush hour. 
    On the plus side the train is never as busy as the Sidcup line and a lot quicker!
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Getting to a train station (chis or elmstead) from BR7 (Kemnal road side) is a pain in rush hour. 
    On the plus side the train is never as busy as the Sidcup line and a lot quicker!
    Where Id be the nearest is New Eltham, a 30 min walk but also served by 161 and 162 (from memory) buses. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know the area well, and yes there was a murder there recently, but not really connected to the area - fella was chased from the Gordon Arms (Spanner pub) and run over. 
    He could have run to a posher road and had the same outcome. 
    There is a bit of a youth problem around there, but no more or less than elsewhere. Things flare up from time to time but nothing too serious. 
    If you drive, you can’t get into that estate directly from the A20 - you have to go up to five ways lights and enter from Green Lane. 
    Public transport is OK and it’s only a short walk to Chizz for busses to Eltham, Bromley and Orpington. Trains are a pain as you say. 
    I coached several footy lads that lived on that estate and never had a problem with them. 
    I think it is an OK area for that budget. 
    Hope this helps. 
  • Options
    Wasn’t gonna dabble but saw a few eyebrow raising comments:

Lived in Chislehurst until I was 25 and flew the nest.

Still drink in the Gordon arms regularly, it is not a rough pub in the slightest and you’ll never see fights there, it’s full of old characters with a mixture of lads my age (30s) but everyone gets along nicely it’s the sort of pub where you can pop in and chat to anyone.

On the murder recently, the victim was an old mate of mine who I grew up with, as someone mentioned nothing to do with the pub at all, not gonna go into details too much but it’s nothing to do with problem per say, of Chislehurst.

As for logistics, it’s so far from a station!  And parking is a nightmare unless you spend a few quid in Sainsbury’s.
  • Options
    I used to live just off Walden road ..quite close to elmstead woods station but there are a few roads going up the hill from the station that probably be in your range ...lovely area ,can't fault it for commuting..handy terrace of local shops too ...good luck 
  • Options
    Surely if you've got 700k to spend you wouldn't be buying a terrace.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    clb74 said:
    Surely if you've got 700k to spend you wouldn't be buying a terrace.
    Definitely not, but there are some lovely 4/5 bed semi detatched in his price range and 10 mins walk from the town centre & train stations.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I find it incredibly sad how expensive houses are in London. Young people really don't stand a chance.
    Not too get too off topic but Covid will hopefully change things once it's confirmed people will be mainly working from home. I've a mate who works at a small betting firm in Old Street who have shut their office already and he's looking to move further out of London because of it. I say this as someone who's just bought a 1 bed in Greenwich  :'(
  • Options
    You don’t say your situation or any other factors, which of course will influence.

Pure personal choice of course, but with that budget and it being me I’d be doing this if you are looking for what might prove a potential family home:

Sidcup
    Elmstead Woods
    Abbey Wood
    Falconwood
    Westcombe Park

New Eltham
    Eltham
    Charlton
    Kidbrooke
    Mottingham
    Grove Park
    Hither Green

Adding Bexley, Chislehurst, Petts Wood, maybe harsh on Falconwood. 

No future children consideration would change that probably. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You don’t say your situation or any other factors, which of course will influence.

Pure personal choice of course, but with that budget and it being me I’d be doing this if you are looking for what might prove a potential family home:

Sidcup
    Elmstead Woods
    Abbey Wood
    Falconwood
    Westcombe Park

New Eltham
    Eltham
    Charlton
    Kidbrooke
    Mottingham
    Grove Park
    Hither Green

Adding Bexley, Chislehurst, Petts Wood, maybe harsh on Falconwood. 

No future children consideration would change that probably. 
    Thanks I'll add those in to my list! 
  • Options
    If you were of retirement age or just comfortably off and didn't mind moving to a new area, or in this case country, and sold up in London it just shows what you can get for very little money in comparison.

That place looks fantastic.
  • Options
    If you were of retirement age or just comfortably off and didn't mind moving to a new area, or in this case country, and sold up in London it just shows what you can get for very little money in comparison.

If I was nearer retirement age, I would be very interested in it. Know the area very well, have family around the area.
  • Options

If I was nearer retirement age, I would be very interested in it. Know the area very well, have family around the area.
    Is it as remote as it looks?
  • Options
    Won’t be much help to you but I lost my virginity to my then girlfriend who lived in Edgebury. 

My first love, unfortunately didn’t last long (neither did the relationship)
    Was she posh? As posh as SE10 Addict? Or was she a Powis Street/ Spooks bird?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Off_it said:

Is it as remote as it looks?
    It’s about 3 miles outside Drumkeeran. Which is in Co. Leitrim, that’s the size of Greater London and 30k people live there and it’s got two sets of traffic lights 🚦. My brother is moving back soon, but not in to that house.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    What’s your budget Huskaris?
    £700-£725k 
    Not being funny but with that sort of budget I'd have thought you could do better. I know property prices are mental these days but almost 3/4 million should get you something better. 

How many beds do you want/need  ?  Does it have to be detached ?  Do you need to be near any particular school catchment area or train station ?
    3+ bedrooms (this one has 4)
    Doesn't have to be detached. 
    Not too bothered about school catchments for now, Edgehill is there and is labelled "good" by Ofsted and I'll be more worried about schools etc for secondary which would be a long time off. No kids at the moment just practicing. 

Train stations is the main drawback there. It's a mile to New Eltham, but there are buses by the school that would take us there. 

I can't get across how beautiful the house is. I haven't seen anything that comes close in terms of how nice it is etc for that price range, either in that area or the other places we were looking (Charlton etc).
    My mates parents lived for years in Beechwood (actually just off in Gossington), they were quite happy there had one of the larger 5 bed/double garage houses. But as you've noticed it's the schlep to the train station and thats what makes it cheaper. Thats probably what you want to consider, at a bit over 1.5 miles is that OK for you? Ignore the agent and rightmove saying 1 mile, thats as the crow flies!

For that budget you could get something within a mile of Chislehurst station, but will be smaller.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    What’s your budget Huskaris?
    £700-£725k 
    Not being funny but with that sort of budget I'd have thought you could do better. I know property prices are mental these days but almost 3/4 million should get you something better. 

How many beds do you want/need  ?  Does it have to be detached ?  Do you need to be near any particular school catchment area or train station ?
    3+ bedrooms (this one has 4)
    Doesn't have to be detached. 
    Not too bothered about school catchments for now, Edgehill is there and is labelled "good" by Ofsted and I'll be more worried about schools etc for secondary which would be a long time off. No kids at the moment just practicing. 

Train stations is the main drawback there. It's a mile to New Eltham, but there are buses by the school that would take us there. 

I can't get across how beautiful the house is. I haven't seen anything that comes close in terms of how nice it is etc for that price range, either in that area or the other places we were looking (Charlton etc).
    My mates parents lived for years in Beechwood (actually just off in Gossington), they were quite happy there had one of the larger 5 bed/double garage houses. But as you've noticed it's the schlep to the train station and thats what makes it cheaper. Thats probably what you want to consider, at a bit over 1.5 miles is that OK for you? Ignore the agent and rightmove saying 1 mile, thats as the crow flies!

For that budget you could get something within a mile of Chislehurst station, but will be smaller.

Oh my god you're absolutely right!!! Having looked though, we were told it was 30 minutes (which it is) so not too bothered. Thanks for your comment though, just reaffirms my view not to listen to anyone on earth who is on a commission!

Given the buses that are available etc if it rains, and the idea that my fiancee will be able to work from home 2-3 days a week, and I would be happy to cycle 15 miles each way as long as I have shower facilities etc, I am fine with that. 

I think we have taken the distance into account and can live with it. The extra exercise is actually a motivator to be honest, got to shift those COVID pounds... Getting a nicer place is a huge bonus. 

Like I have said, this is the nicest house I have seen for that price, by an absolute mile... I have not seen anything close to it. 
  • Options
    Think I've found it on rightmove. 
  • Options
    Grew up in chislehurst and had lots of friends who lived on edgbury estate. Very nice area. Nice walks nearby past the ponds and towards Cooper's. Moved to Norwich 30 years ago but my mum still lives off Green Lane. Still love returning. Changed a lot but nice suburb of SE London.