Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving House - BR7

Comments

• Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Grew up in chislehurst and had lots of friends who lived on edgbury estate. Very nice area. Nice walks nearby past the ponds and towards Cooper's. Moved to Norwich 30 years ago but my mum still lives off Green Lane. Still love returning. Changed a lot but nice suburb of SE London.
    That's great news as it's right where I'll be.

I really appreciate everyone's comments, they've gone a huge way to putting our minds at rest and if my mum/brother like the property on Sunday we will be making an offer, unless you are or know the seller, in which case it's between 3 other properties...
  • Options
    please tell me you didn’t try and stick a sliver of the menu in the end of one.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    What’s your budget Huskaris?
    £700-£725k 
    Not being funny but with that sort of budget I'd have thought you could do better. I know property prices are mental these days but almost 3/4 million should get you something better. 

How many beds do you want/need  ?  Does it have to be detached ?  Do you need to be near any particular school catchment area or train station ?
    3+ bedrooms (this one has 4)
    Doesn't have to be detached. 
    Not too bothered about school catchments for now, Edgehill is there and is labelled "good" by Ofsted and I'll be more worried about schools etc for secondary which would be a long time off. No kids at the moment just practicing. 

Train stations is the main drawback there. It's a mile to New Eltham, but there are buses by the school that would take us there. 

I can't get across how beautiful the house is. I haven't seen anything that comes close in terms of how nice it is etc for that price range, either in that area or the other places we were looking (Charlton etc).
    My mates parents lived for years in Beechwood (actually just off in Gossington), they were quite happy there had one of the larger 5 bed/double garage houses. But as you've noticed it's the schlep to the train station and thats what makes it cheaper. Thats probably what you want to consider, at a bit over 1.5 miles is that OK for you? Ignore the agent and rightmove saying 1 mile, thats as the crow flies!

For that budget you could get something within a mile of Chislehurst station, but will be smaller.

Agreed, it's definitely more than a mile, I'd say closer to 1.5 miles than 1 mile, but I didn't want to sound negative.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    What’s your budget Huskaris?
    £700-£725k 
    Not being funny but with that sort of budget I'd have thought you could do better. I know property prices are mental these days but almost 3/4 million should get you something better. 

How many beds do you want/need  ?  Does it have to be detached ?  Do you need to be near any particular school catchment area or train station ?
    3+ bedrooms (this one has 4)
    Doesn't have to be detached. 
    Not too bothered about school catchments for now, Edgehill is there and is labelled "good" by Ofsted and I'll be more worried about schools etc for secondary which would be a long time off. No kids at the moment just practicing. 

Train stations is the main drawback there. It's a mile to New Eltham, but there are buses by the school that would take us there. 

I can't get across how beautiful the house is. I haven't seen anything that comes close in terms of how nice it is etc for that price range, either in that area or the other places we were looking (Charlton etc).
    My mates parents lived for years in Beechwood (actually just off in Gossington), they were quite happy there had one of the larger 5 bed/double garage houses. But as you've noticed it's the schlep to the train station and thats what makes it cheaper. Thats probably what you want to consider, at a bit over 1.5 miles is that OK for you? Ignore the agent and rightmove saying 1 mile, thats as the crow flies!

For that budget you could get something within a mile of Chislehurst station, but will be smaller.

Oh my god you're absolutely right!!! Having looked though, we were told it was 30 minutes (which it is) so not too bothered. Thanks for your comment though, just reaffirms my view not to listen to anyone on earth who is on a commission!

Given the buses that are available etc if it rains, and the idea that my fiancee will be able to work from home 2-3 days a week, and I would be happy to cycle 15 miles each way as long as I have shower facilities etc, I am fine with that. 

I think we have taken the distance into account and can live with it. The extra exercise is actually a motivator to be honest, got to shift those COVID pounds... Getting a nicer place is a huge bonus. 

Like I have said, this is the nicest house I have seen for that price, by an absolute mile... I have not seen anything close to it. 
    All depends what you want. If you had kids you may feel differently about the commute.

If you like that style you'd get something similar in style and price on somewhere like the hollies in Sidcup which is a few minutes walk to Sidcup Station.

As always, the further you go out the more you get for your money, it's just finding the right balance.
  • Options
    Just move to Chatham it’s such a peaceful area and the citizens are well mannered. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    If you were of retirement age or just comfortably off and didn't mind moving to a new area, or in this case country, and sold up in London it just shows what you can get for very little money in comparison.

That place looks fantastic.
    If I was nearer retirement age, I would be very interested in it. Know the area very well, have family around the area.
    Is it as remote as it looks?
    It’s about 3 miles outside Drumkeeran. Which is in Co. Leitrim, that’s the size of Greater London and 30k people live there and it’s got two sets of traffic lights 🚦. My brother is moving back soon, but not in to that house.
    Sounds like my idea of hell, unfortunately. 

I understand why people like living in relatively remote locations. But to me it would be like a prison.
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    please tell me you didn’t try and stick a sliver of the menu in the end of one.
    I stuck more than that in.... oh, you meant the pancake.
  • Options
    To get a sense of perspective, it may be worthwhile looking at the crime statistics for some areas you do know, either near where you already live or near where friends live.  Areas where you would feel safe.

Also worthwhile visiting the area where you hope to buy in the evening -especially on a fine Fri/Sat night - especially if it is near a pub or a take-away which may be a magnet for people outside the immediate area.  And of course in the rush-hour if it might be a rat-run (although with covid, all these activities will be reduced).

Although I went to secondary school in Chislehurst, that was many decades ago, so my knowledge of good/bad areas is far too out of date to be useful.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey, might put a cheeky 10k bid in for the garage.  I reckon I could live there.
  • Options
    Blimey, might put a cheeky 10k bid in for the garage.  I reckon I could live there.
    Just get the RS2000 thrown in, worth a few £.
  • Options
    Blimey, just shows how royally bent over we are in the south when it comes to property. That place is amazing for the money.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Second viewing was today, my mum likes it and so did my brother. 

We are going to make an offer on Monday (bank holiday I know) or Tuesday. I don't want to seem "too" keen, but we are.

Just need them to knock a "reasonable" amount off of the offer. 

Talking hypotheticals, how much can you offer to knock off without taking the piss.

The windows need to be redone, there is a crack in the fireplace, the shed door doesn't shut, the hob is electric (would prefer gas), the whole place needs a lick of paint because there are scuff marks etc, guttering looks to be leaking a tiny bit, and as perspective buyers, we are chain free.

Imagine the property is on the market for £700k, does anyone have a view on what would be a good % to knock off?

I am currently angling towards 6.8% off the asking price. 

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Most of the things you've mentioned are cosmetic, only the windows would cost serious  £££ and that is only if the frames are rotting & you need to replace them all. If it's just that they are aluminium & you would like UPVC then that's your choice.

You can offer whatever you want. The vendors can accept or decline. If it's up for £700k then I doubt you'd get it for anything less than £675k. Does also depend on how long it's been on the market for & if the vendors have found something & want to move quickly. Conversely, do you need a mortgage as any mortgage valuation might dictate how much you eventually pay. 

I always think that if you like it & want to buy it then why dick around with silly offers. Estate Agents are generally that wrong regarding a housecvakyation, especially if there have been a few of that type sold over the past 12 months. Would you be gutted if you offered £650k & lost out to someone who offered £660k.....esp if you think about how much you will be saving in stamp duty.

• Options
    Most of the things you've mentioned are cosmetic, only the windows would cost serious  £££ and that is only if the frames are rotting & you need to replace them all. If it's just that they are aluminium & you would like UPVC then that's your choice.

You can offer whatever you want. The vendors can accept or decline. If it's up for £700k then I doubt you'd get it for anything less than £675k. Does also depend on how long it's been on the market for & if the vendors have found something & want to move quickly. Conversely, do you need a mortgage as any mortgage valuation might dictate how much you eventually pay. 

I always think that if you like it & want to buy it then why dick around with silly offers. Estate Agents are generally that wrong regarding a housecvakyation, especially if there have been a few of that type sold over the past 12 months. Would you be gutted if you offered £650k & lost out to someone who offered £660k.....esp if you think about how much you will be saving in stamp duty.

They have already moved out (in the past week).

I do need a mortgage. 

The frames in the windows are looking like they are rotting and genuinely need replacing. 

It has been on the market for a few months I believe. Since just before the start of lockdown I think. 

• Options
    Good luck @Huskaris

Remember all estate agents are bastards, always get a decent survey and never lose out on something you really want haggling over a couple of grand. Over 20-25yr repayment it will have largely unnoticeable impact. 
    Thanks, it is much appreciated, a really stressful but ultimately rewarding few days and few months ahead I think!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Second viewing was today, my mum likes it and so did my brother. 

We are going to make an offer on Monday (bank holiday I know) or Tuesday. I don't want to seem "too" keen, but we are.

Just need them to knock a "reasonable" amount off of the offer. 

Talking hypotheticals, how much can you offer to knock off without taking the piss.

The windows need to be redone, there is a crack in the fireplace, the shed door doesn't shut, the hob is electric (would prefer gas), the whole place needs a lick of paint because there are scuff marks etc, guttering looks to be leaking a tiny bit, and as perspective buyers, we are chain free.

Imagine the property is on the market for £700k, does anyone have a view on what would be a good % to knock off?

I am currently angling towards 6.8% off the asking price. 

If I was the family selling I would take the view the the house is priced to sell at that or near to that price, having hired an estate agent. 
    Dont be too optimistic about getting 50k off, be reasonable if you want the house.
     How much would the house cost if it was in pristine condition? You should be able from that work out a figure to offer. Don’t lose out over haggling over a relatively small amount. 
  • Options
    I don't think there is any chance of a bidding war because I don't think there are many other interested parties at all:

I also saw this:

"Research from Clear Score discovered that 22% of sellers would accept an offer that is 5% under the asking price only if the buyer wasn't part of a property chain with a mortgage in place. Another 52% of sellers would considering taking a lower offer, meaning you do have a good chance if you argue your case.  

If you’re looking for properties worth over £500,000, you may have even more to gain by being prepared. We found that 88% of those selling houses worth more than £500,000 would either definitely, or at least consider, taking a 5% price cut if the buyer is chain free with an agreed mortgage."3

I am tempted to maybe go 5% under based on the advice in here, but ideally I would like to end up at a position 5% less than the asking price rather than starting there...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I found that when making offers you could never tell what response you would get.
    I made a low offer convinced that they would drop and they refused to drop anything to my surprise.
    There may be a reason why they simply cannot drop their price.

It is presumably in the estate agents interest to get a sale, so you may consider having a full and frank discussion with them.
    Perhaps saying that you are genuinely keen and am willing to offer £650K.
    Although I think that is a low offer if it's realistically priced.
    I'd be more inclined to offer £675K (if asking price is £700K).
    Ask them for their response and their reason why.

As others say, if you really want that house it's not worth losing it for £20K.
  • Options
    Yeah thanks. 

I've been told my the estate agent they are most definitely willing to listen to offers and they avoided dropping the price further (they already dropped it a bit) because they decided this is where they want offers to be made, rather than people making reduced offers on an even lower price. 
  • Options
    You don’t say your situation or any other factors, which of course will influence.

Pure personal choice of course, but with that budget and it being me I’d be doing this if you are looking for what might prove a potential family home:

Sidcup
    Elmstead Woods
    Abbey Wood
    Falconwood
    Westcombe Park

New Eltham
    Eltham
    Charlton
    Kidbrooke
    Mottingham
    Grove Park
    Hither Green

Adding Bexley, Chislehurst, Petts Wood, maybe harsh on Falconwood. 

No future children consideration would change that probably. 
    Falconwood is very underrated I'd say, the Parade has had a makeover and now has its own micropub as well as one of the finest curry houses around (S3), walking distance to two stations, Bexley Grammar and other schools, 3 parks and woods, coulda had my 5 bed place too for a bargain, just (finally) sold.
  • Options
    If it's the one i'm thinking it is, was reduced back in July, it's had 2,225 views since listing.

I personally think the are in the 675-690k range at the moment. Yes they are 4 bedrooms but Sq Ft not much different to a 30's 3 bed semi. From memory the garages are very thin and also not long enough for anything more than a medium car.

Why have they moved out already?
  • Options
    razil said:
    You don’t say your situation or any other factors, which of course will influence.

Pure personal choice of course, but with that budget and it being me I’d be doing this if you are looking for what might prove a potential family home:

Sidcup
    Elmstead Woods
    Abbey Wood
    Falconwood
    Westcombe Park

New Eltham
    Eltham
    Charlton
    Kidbrooke
    Mottingham
    Grove Park
    Hither Green

Adding Bexley, Chislehurst, Petts Wood, maybe harsh on Falconwood. 

No future children consideration would change that probably. 
    Falconwood is very underrated I'd say, the Parade has had a makeover and now has its own micropub as well as one of the finest curry houses around (S3), walking distance to two stations, Bexley Grammar and other schools, 3 parks and woods, coulda had my 5 bed place too for a bargain, just (finally) sold.
    Glad to hear it sold Barnie  :)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    If it's the one i'm thinking it is, was reduced back in July, it's had 2,225 views since listing.

I personally think the are in the 675-690k range at the moment. Yes they are 4 bedrooms but Sq Ft not much different to a 30's 3 bed semi. From memory the garages are very thin and also not long enough for anything more than a medium car.

I think they wanted to move out to be nearer to their job (recently got a new job) and are based out in Medway. 

Thanks for your advice, you do know which one it is... 

I just need to go back with a justification for why I am knocking so much off, stuff like windows etc. 

Garage is very thin but I'd be using it as a bar room anyway. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Know the absolute top you’d pay / and at what price you’re prepared to walk away.

Could you put in a bid for 670k (stating the cost of putting new windows in is putting you off) , unless it was a complete wreck you might be insulting them with a bid of 650k or below.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Rob7Lee is more of an expert than me, but I'm not certain you have to justify your offer as such.
    You can offer what you want, try knocking £50K off & see what they say.
    If they say no, say that is your max and what is the lowest they can go to?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Oh and just to be clear, are you saying 675-690 based on the "hypothetical" valuation of £700k or based on what you know?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee is more of an expert than me, but I'm not certain you have to justify your offer as such.
    You can offer what you want, try knocking £50K off & see what they say.
    If they say no say that is your max, what is the lowest they can go to?
    Thanks I think that's more or less the strategy to be honest. They've moved out so are probably keen to sell, I think they might have basically found somewhere they loved and are comfortable off enough to move now as I think they found their dream place.