Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moving House - BR7

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee is more of an expert than me, but I'm not certain you have to justify your offer as such.
    You can offer what you want, try knocking £50K off & see what they say.
    If they say no say that is your max, what is the lowest they can go to?
    Thanks I think that's more or less the strategy to be honest. They've moved out so are probably keen to sell, I think they might have basically found somewhere they loved and are comfortable off enough to move now as I think they found their dream place. 
    Or they could have bridging finance and need to shift ASAP.

I'd make an offer, make clear your good position (is a mortgage in principal in place? If not get one ASAP) and that you have some things that you want to do and some that need doing, you don't need to elaborate.

And whatever you do don't say how much you love it!

Going really low then upping it massively really pisses sellers off. I'd go 15k under the maximum you are prepared to pay. Often if you are within a ball park the sellers will come back with a counter offer rather than a flat no.

PS, replacing all the windows & Doors is £8-10k tops.

• Options
    PS, they bought it for 635k exactly 6 years ago.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee is more of an expert than me, but I'm not certain you have to justify your offer as such.
    If they say no say that is your max, what is the lowest they can go to?
    Thanks I think that's more or less the strategy to be honest. They've moved out so are probably keen to sell, I think they might have basically found somewhere they loved and are comfortable off enough to move now as I think they found their dream place. 
    Or they could have bridging finance and need to shift ASAP.

I'd make an offer, make clear your good position (is a mortgage in principal in place? If not get one ASAP) and that you have some things that you want to do and some that need doing, you don't need to elaborate.

And whatever you do don't say how much you love it!

Going really low then upping it massively really pisses sellers off. I'd go 15k under the maximum you are prepared to pay. Often if you are within a ball park the sellers will come back with a counter offer rather than a flat no.

PS, replacing all the windows & Doors is £8-10k tops.

Mortgage in principle is in place. Will be completely chain free etc and would get a mortgage sorted asap for them. 

Thanks, will be doing that on Monday/Tuesday. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    PS, they bought it for 635k exactly 6 years ago.
    Yeah exactly, I saw that which is why what I was thinking of offering was exactly half way between their purchase and asking...
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    If it's the one i'm thinking it is, was reduced back in July, it's had 2,225 views since listing.

I personally think the are in the 675-690k range at the moment. Yes they are 4 bedrooms but Sq Ft not much different to a 30's 3 bed semi. From memory the garages are very thin and also not long enough for anything more than a medium car.

Why have they moved out already?
    I think they wanted to move out to be nearer to their job (recently got a new job) and are based out in Medway. 

Thanks for your advice, you do know which one it is... 

I just need to go back with a justification for why I am knocking so much off, stuff like windows etc. 

Garage is very thin but I'd be using it as a bar room anyway. 
    Do not justify your offer, just state what it is. By stating why you are making the offer you are, they simply get the opportunity to respond or counter. 

• Options
    Does the government £5000 grant for windows etc come in soon.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    If it's the one i'm thinking it is, was reduced back in July, it's had 2,225 views since listing.

I personally think the are in the 675-690k range at the moment. Yes they are 4 bedrooms but Sq Ft not much different to a 30's 3 bed semi. From memory the garages are very thin and also not long enough for anything more than a medium car.

Why have they moved out already?
    I think they wanted to move out to be nearer to their job (recently got a new job) and are based out in Medway. 

Thanks for your advice, you do know which one it is... 

I just need to go back with a justification for why I am knocking so much off, stuff like windows etc. 

Garage is very thin but I'd be using it as a bar room anyway. 
    Do not justify your offer, just state what it is. By stating why you are making the offer you are, they simply get the opportunity to respond or counter. 

Yeah thanks I think I will take that and RobLee's advice and say that there are things that looked like issues, and things I would need to do to make the house an "acceptable standard" and things I would need to do bring the house up to the standard of the rest of the house. 

The thing is this house really is at the limit of my budget so getting a bit below it will make a huge difference and enable me to have some cash to spend on the place/have for savings. 
  • Options
    If they say no, say that is your max and what is the lowest they can go to?
    Well, it won't be his "max" if they dont accept it & then asks "how low can you go". You max is really only your max if you can't borrow any more & you're using up all your savings. 

I really do hate all this faux "this is my max" when you know it's not. I always think, would I be gutted if I lost this house. If so, then don't p**s about with silly offers. If you're not bothered about losing it then its not the right house for you. If you like & want to buy it then go ahead & put in a sensible offer. If it's up for £700k & already been reduced then £675k-£685k seems a decent offer to make. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Second viewing was today, my mum likes it and so did my brother. 

We are going to make an offer on Monday (bank holiday I know) or Tuesday. I don't want to seem "too" keen, but we are.

Just need them to knock a "reasonable" amount off of the offer. 

Talking hypotheticals, how much can you offer to knock off without taking the piss.

The windows need to be redone, there is a crack in the fireplace, the shed door doesn't shut, the hob is electric (would prefer gas), the whole place needs a lick of paint because there are scuff marks etc, guttering looks to be leaking a tiny bit, and as perspective buyers, we are chain free.

Imagine the property is on the market for £700k, does anyone have a view on what would be a good % to knock off?

I am currently angling towards 6.8% off the asking price. 

Just ditched a gas hob for an electric induction. Superb it is,so wouldn't discount the electric hob unless it looks ancient and knackered. 

Good luck with the purchase. Always liked Chislehurst when I've been on the odd occasion. A few kids football teams round there too, should you have any in the future. 
  • Options
    If you get it, I’ll buy you a beer in the Bulls head. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to drink in th Bulls head about 35 years ago. I recall drinking a strong youngs  lager? Haven't been in the Bulls head for about 20 years. Also use to drink in the Tigers Head. Ahh good memories of living in Chislehurst. Loved growing there and will always have a place in my heart despite living in Norfolk for over 30 years now.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Used to drink in th Bulls head about 35 years ago. I recall drinking a strong youngs  lager? Haven't been in the Bulls head for about 20 years. Also use to drink in the Tigers Head. Ahh good memories of living in Chislehurst. Loved growing there and will always have a place in my heart despite living in Norfolk for over 30 years now.
    I drink in The Bulls Head regularly.
    The Tigers Head is basically now a restaurant, as in restaurant/pub.
    The buildings the same.
  • Options
    Go in the bulls head from time to time, pricey!
  • Options
    I'd be looking at previous sales in that street to determine the offer price.

I've always offered under the asking price to negotiate to a price both parties are happy with.  The one exception is my current house where the situation was unique (repossession) and price were well below market value.

At the moment you really like the house but have no real emotional attachment. Think with head not your heart. Offer what you are comfortable with and be prepared to walk away.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Made the offer, got it accepted, nice chunk below asking price, but also a fair chunk higher than my opening offer.

Chuffed to bits, thanks everyone for all your help here, it means a lot!
    Cheers, gazumping starts tomorrow........  :D
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Huskaris said:
    Made the offer, got it accepted, nice chunk below asking price, but also a fair chunk higher than my opening offer.

Care to say the amount.....or rough ball park. 

I'm going £675k-£680k.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Care to say the amount.....or brought ball park. 

I'm going £675k-£680k.
    Lets just keep ringing tomorrow with offers Golfie - we'll soon flush it out ..... (I reckon 700k)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

Cheers, gazumping starts tomorrow........  :D
    Haha yeah, I have "instructed" a well reviewed online conveyancer, taking the ID documents down tomorrow too to get them to take it off the market asap.

Applied for my mortgage.

Fingers crossed now!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    710 - Still a pretty decent discount in my opinion. Especially compared to some of the local properties that are more or less identical. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent, tbh I didn't think you would get an agreement below @£710K, but I thought it was worth a whirl.
    Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Congrats @Huskaris very nice drum. Always wanted an en suite 
  • Options
    just going through the moving process ourselves at the moment, the thought of packing up our house now feels me with dread

the housing market has gone absolutely crazy with the stamp duty change.

best of luck with your move.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, really looking forward to it.

just going through the moving process ourselves at the moment, the thought of packing up our house now feels me with dread

The stamp duty cut has saved us £15k, which is really good to be honest. That will completely furnish our home and be enough to start my bar!

There is a bit of a backlog for surveys etc because it is incredibly busy at the moment. Apparently mortgages are at the same level they were at in February!
  • Options
    Really pleased for you Huskaris, I didn’t like to ask in case it had gone pear shaped, great news, when’s the moving in Charlton life party? 😉 
  • Options
    Really pleased for you Huskaris, I didn’t like to ask in case it had gone pear shaped, great news, when’s the moving in Charlton life party? 😉 
    Party.
    Huskaris will have a lodger if me and the wife dont find a place.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Keep hearing this , house prices on the up and so on.
    Not for us though ,9 viewings in 6 weeks weve had.
  • Options
    we put ours on the market on a Friday, had 9 viewings on the Saturday and offer accepted by Sunday. Luckily we'd already found a house which allowed us to have our offer accepted on the Monday.

Definitely a backlog on Surveys at the moment, ours being done next week. 

We are only moving 10 mins down the road which ideally will mean no school change etc, but will give us alot more space and more importantly a home office!
  • Options
    we put ours on the market on a Friday, had 9 viewings on the Saturday and offer accepted by Sunday. Luckily we'd already found a house which allowed us to have our offer accepted on the Monday.

Definitely a backlog on Surveys at the moment, ours being done next week. 

We are only moving 10 mins down the road which ideally will mean no school change etc, but will give us alot more space and more importantly a home office!
    And your moaning about packing up.
    You can walk everthing down if its 10 minutes 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Keep hearing this , house prices on the up and so on.
    Not for us though ,9 viewings in 6 weeks weve had.
    Might want to take the Charlton stuff off the walls mate, what with it being a Millwall / Palace area