Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ESI 1 v ESI 2 - Initial Hearing 01-02/09/2020, Court of Appeal 17/09/2020 (p127)

Comments

• Can't see what it's got to do with a court of law anyway, reckon Nimer should be free to sell to whoever he wishes and, if he is found to be in breech of any contracts, the appropriate action can then be taken.

Just seems like snakes using the court system to sort out their petty squabbles and wasting everyones time.

One of the main things pissing me off about this is that, in the eyes of the court, this ain't any longer about Charlton Athletic, it's about a bunch of Mancs vrs a bunch of foreigners and what they can milk an American Dane for. The future of the institution in the middle, don't seem to much matter 
    Agree with your general point, but the reason to refuse the initial injunction was only about the future of the club in the widest interpretation of that word. 
  • Can anyone explain how PE has been able to be in a position of control at CAFC and be in a position to attempt this injunction?. He is not an officer or person of significant control of CAFC according to companies house, it has been stated in court that panorama have beneficial and controlling interest of the shares in question and there is an unsigned and undated SPA which has not been executed (no consideration has changed hands and stock transfer not completed). What have I missed ......? 
  • edited September 2020
    red10 said:
    Can anyone explain how PE has been able to be in a position of control at CAFC and be in a position to attempt this injunction?. He is not an officer or person of significant control of CAFC according to companies house, it has been stated in court that panorama have beneficial and controlling interest of the shares in question and there is an unsigned and undated SPA which has not been executed (no consideration has changed hands and stock transfer not completed). What have I missed ......? 
    That there is a letter, on CAFC headed paper, that says the shares in ESI have been transfered from Panarama to LD and Southall has been dragged along.  As well as MM saying that this has been done?

Also, in the public demain, that Farnell and Elliott have both said its done pending EFL approval, which they both now say is not the case?
  • Might be worthwhile keeping an eye on this, I’m assuming it’s a civil case

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/court-lists/list-appeal-civil
  • Chizz said:
    Some others have already made this point, but I want to re-iterate that no Charlton fan should ever send threatening communication to Chaisty, Pearce, Elliot or anyone else involved in the current (and future) actions.  To do so would be illegal and harmful.  

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a claim that such communications have been received.  If such a claim were made, I would be very interested to know how it could be proven that they came from Charlton fans and not from, for example, email accounts set up by some of the participants in the case, in order to further their cause.  

I am not suggesting that someone like Elliot would ever do anything like that.  But, equally, I would be interested to see how well he performed under cross-questioning, if allegations were put to him, such as facilitating, encouraging or rewarding others to send messages out across electronic media in bad faith.  I wonder if he would be able to defend against such suggestions, effectively. 

The point remains, however, that no Charlton fan should attempt to obstruct justice or send malicious communications to any of the participants, at any time. 
    What about shitting in his letterbox? 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm slightly concerned that LD's QC & legal team will be working on this vigorously and could have a fair sized amount of people assisting.

I've attended cases where residents & the council have been up against property developers and their QC.
    The QC's whilst usually outstanding also have so many people to assist them.

I am concerned as to who is providing our evidence.
    Is it solely down to Lauren & MM?
    Does Lauren have the time or is she working on other business (as you may well expect with this unexpected development).

I know some people have said that the level/quality of your legal team makes no difference, but this is clearly nonsense as otherwise everyone would appoint the cheapest representation.

Lauren has done an excellent job and I'm not suggesting otherwise, but I am concerned as to the resources that LD are throwing at this and I've seen for myself that some QCs can almost prove that black is actually white.
    I think this concerns about 90pc of our fan base at present.
  • ozaddick said:
    Chizz said:
    Some others have already made this point, but I want to re-iterate that no Charlton fan should ever send threatening communication to Chaisty, Pearce, Elliot or anyone else involved in the current (and future) actions.  To do so would be illegal and harmful.  

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a claim that such communications have been received.  If such a claim were made, I would be very interested to know how it could be proven that they came from Charlton fans and not from, for example, email accounts set up by some of the participants in the case, in order to further their cause.  

I am not suggesting that someone like Elliot would ever do anything like that.  But, equally, I would be interested to see how well he performed under cross-questioning, if allegations were put to him, such as facilitating, encouraging or rewarding others to send messages out across electronic media in bad faith.  I wonder if he would be able to defend against such suggestions, effectively. 

The point remains, however, that no Charlton fan should attempt to obstruct justice or send malicious communications to any of the participants, at any time. 
    What about shitting in his letterbox? 😉

This is just wrong ?

Best to use a bucket first  :)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:
    Can anyone explain how PE has been able to be in a position of control at CAFC and be in a position to attempt this injunction?. He is not an officer or person of significant control of CAFC according to companies house, it has been stated in court that panorama have beneficial and controlling interest of the shares in question and there is an unsigned and undated SPA which has not been executed (no consideration has changed hands and stock transfer not completed). What have I missed ......? 
    That there is a letter, on CAFC headed paper, that says the shares in ESI have been transfered from Panarama to LD and Southall has been dragged along.  As well as MM saying that this has been done?

Also, in the public demain, that Farnell and Elliott have both said its done pending EFL approval, which they both now say is not the case?
    Thanks, I had forgitten about that. I think there is a possibility that MM jumped the gun with the release and comments and that the sale has not yet taken place. I struggle with the concept that the contract is in the state that it is to be binding, plus companies house not being updated within 14 days, failure to do so is an offence. Pity we cant get elliotttt on the hook for that since he seems so sure ....

• Might be worthwhile keeping an eye on this, I’m assuming it’s a civil case

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/court-lists/list-appeal-civil
    Does Sir Stephen Richards carry a Singapore cain?  Or does he have the right to sensor? 
  • Did Mihail or Farnell actually speak in the hearing on the 1st?
  • Did Mihail or Farnell actually speak in the hearing on the 1st?
    No.
  • Cheers mate
  • I'm slightly concerned that LD's QC & legal team will be working on this vigorously and could have a fair sized amount of people assisting.

I've attended cases where residents & the council have been up against property developers and their QC.

Does Lauren have the time or is she working on other business (as you may well expect with this unexpected development).

I know some people have said that the level/quality of your legal team makes no difference, but this is clearly nonsense as otherwise everyone would appoint the cheapest representation.

Lauren has done an excellent job and I'm not suggesting otherwise, but I am concerned as to the resources that LD are throwing at this and I've seen for myself that some QCs can almost prove that black is actually white.

Lauren isn't independent.

https://radcliffechambers.com/profile/lauren-kreamer/
  • RD holds the power to resolve this whole issue. As it stands ESI1 can't be sold to anybody, there is no injunction on ESI1 selling any of it's assets (i.e. CAFC), however the common wisdom is that if CAFC is sold then the £50m becomes payable to RD immediately. Therefore if the purchaser of CAFC can get Roland to agree to rollover the current tenancy agreement then ESI1 is free to sell CAFC to whomever it so chooses and PE has an injunction preventing shares in an empty holding company from being sold.

RD, as always, is the key. If a deal can be struck with him then the whole farce with ESI1 and ESI2 is meaningless, it's 2 tramps arguing over and empty box.
    Surely ESI selling all its assets would be considered a breach of the injunction though?
    I'm not so sure,

The injunction was to stop Panorama Magic selling ESI. I didn't hear anything around ESI not be able to sell anything.....
  • edited September 2020
    Rob7Lee said:
    RD holds the power to resolve this whole issue. As it stands ESI1 can't be sold to anybody, there is no injunction on ESI1 selling any of it's assets (i.e. CAFC), however the common wisdom is that if CAFC is sold then the £50m becomes payable to RD immediately. Therefore if the purchaser of CAFC can get Roland to agree to rollover the current tenancy agreement then ESI1 is free to sell CAFC to whomever it so chooses and PE has an injunction preventing shares in an empty holding company from being sold.

RD, as always, is the key. If a deal can be struck with him then the whole farce with ESI1 and ESI2 is meaningless, it's 2 tramps arguing over and empty box.
    Surely ESI selling all its assets would be considered a breach of the injunction though?
    I'm not so sure,

The injunction was to stop Panorama Magic selling ESI. I didn't hear anything around ESI not be able to sell anything.....
    Would be great if they went all the way to the highest court and ended up owning an empty shell company lol

Bit like the DVD players with no gubbings in, the travellers used to sell
  • Sponsored links:

• red10 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:

Thanks, I had forgitten about that. I think there is a possibility that MM jumped the gun with the release and comments and that the sale has not yet taken place. I struggle with the concept that the contract is in the state that it is to be binding, plus companies house not being updated within 14 days, failure to do so is an offence. Pity we cant get elliotttt on the hook for that since he seems so sure ....

I think MM was just doing what Farnell told him to at that stage. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:

All part of Farnell's plan?

Agree with this up to a point. I once was on a Jury at the Old Bailey for a murder trial and the defendents Silk made me genuinely question the outcome although it was pretty open and shut. 

My point about legal representation was that it didn't alter the facts of the case and Lauren clearly understood them probably better than her opponent.

That evened the dynamic in my view. 
  • edited September 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:

All part of Farnell's plan?
    Yeah it was to drag along Southall for a quid and probably a drink in it for Nimer at a later date.

Was being the important word. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:

Makes sense, geting a statement and verbal confirmation "out there" to support elliotts claims as there seems nothing else to substantiate this otherwise imho.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    red10 said:

I think this could be significant to the case overall as if Farnell was instructing MM to do things as the clubs solicitor at the time and then changed sides, I think most judges would take a dim view of this to say the least. 

Of course with any luck this will be immaterial to CAFC if the temporary injunction expires next week with a rejected application for an appeal. Then with any luck by the time Elliot and Panorama slug this out in the full hearing CAFC could be owned by TS. Fingers still crossed for this outcome.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MattF said:
    MattF said:
    So in a theoretical scenario where the leave to appeal is granted and an injunction until the end of November is put in place, if we become extinct as a result how would that reflect on the courts? Do they worry about perceived publicity in such cases?
    That is what the balance of convenience was about. The judge took the view that a full injunction had a material risk of meaning the club would be kicked out the league.
    Would a statement from the EFL outlining the progression of sanctions then solidify the risk if a sale cannot be completed?
    As I understand it the injunction was refused on the grounds that granting it would cause more harm to Panarama than not granting it would cause to LD. 

In the final battle in court it will be does/did Elliott have an agreement that ment the sale to a third party would be a breach of contract.  His ability to run the company, pass EFL tests etc don't matter. In the law.

Does anyone know of any case law where a judge has ruled "I agree your legally allowed to own something but I won't let you because......".

There will be many, I'm sure, where a legally binding contract has not been fulfilled to avoid, on balance, a significantly worse outcome. Exactly the reasons why Judge Pearce found in PM's favour.

In those cases legal redress is damages for breach of contract rather than forcing the contract to be enacted. 
  • edited September 2020
    I'm slightly concerned that LD's QC & legal team will be working on this vigorously and could have a fair sized amount of people assisting.

I imagine you are thinking of planning inquiries and the like and agree with you that local authoity v property developer resources are often unbalanced. BUt this doesn't really apply in the Court of Appeal. In a planning inquiry, there will be lots of expert evidence (from planners, heritage experts, property valuers, environmental specialists etc). They often take a week or more to get through and require a lot if preparation from a lot of people. Court of Appeal hearings are limited to points of law and are usually for one or two days. There is no new factual evidence and no expert evidence. It is very much one barrister versus another, although solicitor support can be important.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!