Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We're going back to The Valley, hopefully.......Doncaster Rovers, 19th September 2020....

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know if you could exit the ground between 1-5 mins before the final whistle, rather than stick around waiting your turn?
    The answer is yes.
    I did just that. 
    So did I and I was watching on the stream.
    Proper Charlton would of left the game with 30 mins to go
  • Options

I didn't get asked for ID or a temperature check when I went in.  I queued for about 15 minutes and I got inside the ground about 2:15 where I was ushered straight to my seat by the stewards who were polite and efficient.

As Pembury said, sitting around before the game with no gathering on the concourse and none of the bars/eateries open was rather boring but they showed highlights of games on the screen and watching the players warm up wasn't as tedious as I thought it would be.

Wearing the face mask all game wasn't ideal, but you kind of get used to it.

I went for a jimmy at half time and the queue was quite long.  They were only letting 4 people in at a time despite the markings by the urinals clearly allowing more than that.  Hopefully this was just a trail for the stewards to manage the queues as I can't see this working with 6,000 people in the stadium (again I have to say the stewards did a good job).

After the game I had to wait in my seat for 15 minutes before I could leave.  It was fine yesterday as the weather was good and I was in no rush to get home but this will be a real ball-ache when it's freezing cold and wet and we've just been spanked 3-0 by Crewe.

It was also nice to see the stewards using some common sense.  In front of me in the queue to get in was a lady with her two kids who were eating some chips and each had a can of drink. One steward (in an orange coat) said they weren't allowed in with the drinks, but a more senior steward (with a blue and yellow coat) came over and said that they could take them in as long as they finished them before going to their seat.  

All in all in was a bit more of a hassle than usual and very different to the match-day we know, but I'm glad I went.  It's going to be even more of a hassle (and a longer day) when the crowds do go up to 5,000 or 6,000 but I'm sure most of us will just take it on the chin and get on with it. 

For me it's another step back to normality and watching Charlton no matter how crap we are is always enjoyable so I was glad to be back doing what I love on a Saturday afternoon.  

Waiting in your seat for 15mins at full time seems a bit long for so few people. What does that mean its likely to be for crowds of 6/7 thousand. Like you say just when its gonna start getting cold and wet. 
    Especially after an evening match when people have trains to catch and want to get home quickly
  • Options
    Imagine a game finishes at 9.35 and you are still seated till after 10.00.
    I miss going but sod that.
    For what its worth, after reading the corona thread i dont see fans being allowed to go matches for much longer anyway.
    Was this weekend just a one off trial or homes teams next week trialing it as well? Is there any talk of our next home game allowing  another 1000 in?
  • Options
    Imagine a game finishes at 9.35 and you are still seated till after 10.00.
    I miss going but sod that.
    For what its worth, after reading the corona thread i dont see fans being allowed to go matches for much longer anyway.
    Was this weekend just a one off trial or homes teams next week trialing it as well? Is there any talk of our next home game allowing  another 1000 in?

I'm sure they're planning for 5-6,000 for the Sunderland game (depending on what the Government decides).
  • Options
    Thanks for those excellent photos.
    As you say it looks safer/just as safe as walking down the high street and much safer than being indoors anywhere, be it pub, gym, shops.

Presumably the rows nearest the exit leaves first?
  • Options
    Thanks for the photos. Clearly it would be easy to up the attendance to say 5/6000 by having a similar density of spectators as in the lower West/Covered End all over the stadium, but the economics would be horrible, needing a vast number of stewards for what is still a tiny crowd
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for those excellent photos.
    As you say it looks safer/just as safe as walking down the high street and much safer than being indoors anywhere, be it pub, gym, shops.

Presumably the rows nearest the exit leaves first?
    Yes. So the JS end of Lower West exited first (Valley Grove Entrance was used for West Stand access). But the Covered End left before the LW. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t see it practical scaling up to 5-8000 if the level of detail applied on Sat had to be applied 
    Excluding the result, I think everything went in Charlton favour on Saturday for the test event. Weather was perfect, huge excitement to be back at The Valley and the correct audience who were willing to engage with all the measures in place. Would not take a lot for any of those to slightly change and none of the measures to not work as hoped.  
  • Options
    I'm desperate to get back to watching live football and having a beer with my mates, but having watched the club video of what's involved, it would be a definite no from me at the moment. I literally couldn't be arsed with all that!.
  • Options
    I'm desperate to get back to watching live football and having a beer with my mates, but having watched the club video of what's involved, it would be a definite no from me at the moment. I literally couldn't be arsed with all that!.
    This 
  • Options
    Would love to go on 3rd October, but unfortunately by then I dont see anyone doing anything let alone attending football. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54229045

BBC article on the German experience. Higher numbers allowed in, but done in a similar way
  • Options
    Looking at the pictures of other grounds on Saturday, it looks like only at The Valley were face masks worn for the whole match. Does anyone know if this was a Charlton thing or part of the wider test (some grounds it was enforced, others it wasn't?)
  • Options
    Looking at the pictures of other grounds on Saturday, it looks like only at The Valley were face masks worn for the whole match. Does anyone know if this was a Charlton thing or part of the wider test (some grounds it was enforced, others it wasn't?)

I may be wrong and this is just a hunch, but I reckon you can increase the number of people allowed in if everyone wears a facemask.   If a club chooses not to enforce this they may have a reduced allowance.
  • Options
    Why? It was a doddle.
  • Options
    I've bought our season tickets & looking forward to going when we are allowed as we bought just before the September deadline.

However, I couldn't wear a mask all through the game. I hate wearing one when I have to pop into a shop & the weekly shop does my head in. I get all hot & sweaty & cant wait to get back outside again. No way could I wear one from 2pm to 5pm. 

Might just have to make sure we aren't sitting too close to anyone else.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Why? It was a doddle.
    just not for me, I don't want to be sitting in my seat for ages before the game starts, sitting there with virtually no one about. I want 'normal' I appreciate I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather sit at home and watch it on the box if it can't be just a bit normal (and yes I realise we are some way off this happening)

I renewed my ST, but wouldn't go at the moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    Why? It was a doddle.
    just not for me, I don't want to be sitting in my seat for ages before the game starts, sitting there with virtually no one about. I want 'normal' I appreciate I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather sit at home and watch it on the box if it can't be just a bit normal (and yes I realise we are some way off this happening)

I renewed my ST, but wouldn't go at the moment
    You are definitely not in the minority. I showed the code of conduct to my mates who I go Charlton with and they all said it sounded rubbish. Do not see any of them coming to a match with these restrictions in place. All loyal Charlton fans but struggle to see the appeal of this season. Money is a concern for almost all of us at the moment. Why would you part with your hard earn when the match day experience is watered down.

I use to love going to the cinema, but have not gone since it reopened and probably will not go for a long time. I am happy to wait for normal, rather than have a light version of these activities.  

• Options
    id rather they just gave me my season ticket money back now. 

also how does cafc cash work? i have £17 of it, but my season ticket cost £385.00 23 x £17 is £391 so its actually costing the club money to keep us away. 
  • Options
    id rather they just gave me my season ticket money back now. 

also how does cafc cash work? i have £17 of it, but my season ticket cost £385.00 23 x £17 is £391 so its actually costing the club money to keep us away. 
    385 / 23 = £16.74, presumably the CAFC Cash system only allows awarding of whole numbers
  • Options
    I've bought our season tickets & looking forward to going when we are allowed as we bought just before the September deadline.

However, I couldn't wear a mask all through the game. I hate wearing one when I have to pop into a shop & the weekly shop does my head in. I get all hot & sweaty & cant wait to get back outside again. No way could I wear one from 2pm to 5pm. 

Well unfortunately they are the rules for attending.
  • Options

I find masks hot and uncomfortable too, I suppose the one consolation is that for evening games in winter that will be less of a problem...indeed they might help keep you warm!
  • Options
    Well that was worth the wait!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I can't wait to get back personally, even with the measures. Watching a shitty stream will never compare to being there to see it live. 
    I suspect that the added measures will heighten the feelings of joy/disappointment/anger after a result

Being there for a 4-0 win over Pompey on a sunny afternoon, magical

Being there for a 2-0 defeat to Rochdale on a cold and wet December evening, and being held back for 15 minutes, not so good...
  • Options
    I suppose you have to like it or lump it at the end of the day.
    It seems that a combination of the restrictions in place and losing the matchday experiece of seeing family and friends etc is hard to stomach.
    Perhaps people should make the most of attending as if the gates are severely restricted you won't get to so many games anyway.  For the next game I imagine the ones that went to Doncaster will be at the back of the queue.
  • Options
    Not sure what happened Saturday at other grounds but at Dartford's friendly against Dover tomorrow night you can remove your mask when you reach your seat or place on the terrace