Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Charlton v Doncaster | Saturday 19th September 2020.

Comments

• Just a very typical Charlton performance so far and sad to see issues from last season have not been addressed. 

It was only us for the first 20 minutes, but then a typical mistake from our backline trying to pass it out gave Doncaster a goal and changed the whole flow of the game. 

I'm not sure whether it's because of ability, confidence, movement, or not being brave enough to take a quick touch and knock it around the corner - but we just can't keep making simple mistakes and being put under pressure like that when we have the ball at the back.

Teams clearly find it so easy to press us and force us into a mistake as it happens time and time again. 
  • edited September 2020
    Midfield three are too nice. Need to get someone in there to put some challenges in. Shame we can’t move Pratley to midfield 
    This.

Half following the match on here, by the sounds of it we're lacking some serious midfield bite, need a CB in to move Pratley back ASAP and then an upgrade on him if we can!
  • cafc4life said:
    What a load of pony. Morgan and JFC offered nothing. Oshilaja is very poor
    Unfair. A few great passes and that cross which Bonne missed (and was offside for)
  • Dazzler21 said:
    That was painful. Midfield non existent. Doncaster having so much time on the ball and yards of space. All over the shop from us and Bonne once again struggling to hold the ball up and missed a sitter.
    You say a sitter, the cross had good pace on it, he possibly should have done better but I'm not going to criticise too much. 

Don't want any subs at HT.
    No thats far too much in terms of knee jerk reaction... Bowyer needs to get them to calm down and if that doesnt work, THEN make changes

They started off great so Lee just needs to get them back into that mindset
  • As I have previously said, JFC cannot play at the base of midfield. Get Williams ASAP. 
  • edited September 2020
    We look like what we are, the shell of a good team. We're a start of a team, that's it. And you can see it out there. Make shift back four. Lacking steel in midfield. Ball not sticking up front. We still have a lot of quality in this team and some on the bench, but with things the way they are we need more out of this lot. 
  • Our defence is what it is, which is a patched up one forced on us by the embargo and Pearce's injury. 

I think the goal dented our confidence a bit, and we stopped doing what we were doing well for the first 25 minutes
  • Dazzler21 said:
    That was painful. Midfield non existent. Doncaster having so much time on the ball and yards of space. All over the shop from us and Bonne once again struggling to hold the ball up and missed a sitter.
    You say a sitter, the cross had good pace on it, he possibly should have done better but I'm not going to criticise too much. 

Not so sure about that - need someone to put their foot on the ball in midfield and look up and play a good attacking pass - I want Williams on personally + he will win free kicks 
  • edited September 2020
    So lacklustre. Got Williams on for Forster-Caskey, drop Morgan back to holding midfielder and let him dictate the game. 

Move Oshilaja to RB and put Barket at CB. We’ll win 2-1 
    Is Morgan a holding midfielder? I thought you needed to be able to break the play up and offer plenty of defensive cover, no?
  • Sponsored links:

• Bring on Williams for JFC at half time. Tell Phillips to get an Uber and bring him on for Amos when he arrives.
  • Why will we never shoot from distance?
  • Played our way into the game. Doncaster score out of nowhere and the sun and from then Doncaster have more or less dominated totally. Getting better as we got decidedly worse. Glad to get to half time only one down.
    This is tough going. Their sub has been very difficult to deal with.
  • So lacklustre. Got Williams on for Forster-Caskey, drop Morgan back to holding midfielder and let him dictate the game. 

This, or Levitt instead of Morgan as holding midfielder. Need Williams on as he will drive forward with the ball. 

When was the last time we came from behind at half time to win...? 
  • edited September 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

Give over, Daz! The cross had good pace on it!? You'd hope so!!
  • So lacklustre. Got Williams on for Forster-Caskey, drop Morgan back to holding midfielder and let him dictate the game. 

When was the last time we came from behind at half time to win...? 
    Today. :wink:

• I hope this isn't 'Try before you buy' for Thomas. 
  • edited September 2020
    Midfield three are too nice. Need to get someone in there to put some challenges in. Shame we can’t move Pratley to midfield 
    This.

Why can't we go
    Lapslie, Oshilaja, Barker, Purrington

JFC goes off.
  • Bonne should have put the header in, but he was offside anyway so...

Agree Doughty looks ineffective today. Also pissed off that we concede from giving the ball away cheaply, and then not following up for the second ball(s) when they came back out.

All us up until then so even more galling that we've looked so pathetically weak since they scored!

Lee puts a rocket up em during HT, we concede by 47', and then claw back a 2-2 draw with goals in the 80th and 95th minute.

(The Charlton in me says they then score in 97th min when there should only have been 6 mins injury time)
  • Sponsored links:

We have done, Gilbey had the effort from outside the area that the 'keeper pushed away for a corner

Its our only shot on target
  • Dazzler21 said:
    This.

Why can't we go

What we are missing is Pearce - badly
  • cafc4life said:
    What a load of pony. Morgan and JFC offered nothing. Oshilaja is very poor
    Unfair. A few great passes and that cross which Bonne missed (and was offside for)
    Right now, and I say this as someone who sees much potential in Morgan, Albie just doesn’t do enough. Yes he shows flashes of real class, but he just does not impose himself on matches. He drifts through games and occasionally finds himself in a position to do something but he should be constantly working, finding space, demanding the ball. He neither offers anything defensively or consistently gets involved in attacks. He simply needs to do more, he’s played a lot of matches now and needs to start pushing on. 

We don’t have room for passengers in a 3 man midfield. 
  • Getting out muscled all over the pitch,Pratley looks knackered,defence getting no help from midfield Williams or Lecvitt need to come to try and keep the ball a bit.
    We have done, Gilbey had the effort from outside the area that the 'keeper pushed away for a corner

Its our only shot on target
    And that's part of the problem. We don't work their keeper enough. And don't get spills and rebounds to put away.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    This.

Why can't we go

Or Sarr
  • Osh, Barker, JFC, Bonne, Amos all look poor. Tbf Doughty out the game also
  • Put Lapslie on that sub maybe.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    This.

Why can't we go

Or Sarr
    Yep - he would tear up this division 😢
  • What happened to Gilbey? After a bright start and the shot, he went invisible..
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!