Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football Manager 2021

Comments

• I don’t know what I mean! The one where I can change Southall 
    You get the editor with the game, it’s quite tricky to navigate to begin with. The in game editor costs 2.99 through steam but is worth having for small details unless you really wanna cheat.
  • I dont want to cheat, I want to get rid of southall.  I keep getting this message when i try and buy the editor.

• I dont want to cheat, I want to get rid of southall.  I keep getting this message when i try and buy the editor.

Not too sure why this message is coming up. However if you haven't done much in your season yet and you don't mind starting it again I would use the out of game editor to get rid of Southall. You can download it by going to tools in your steam account. 
  • edited December 2020
    I dont want to cheat, I want to get rid of southall.  I keep getting this message when i try and buy the editor.

I had the same problem with last year's one. Sorted it, can't remember how.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: I looked it up and remember now, you have to install it via steam, so in your tools list it should be there (as well as the editor that isn't in game). Just install the in-game editor once it is purchased, then I think you have to activate it, and it should work. 
  • I’ve downloaded it via stream. If I use the built in one, do I need to start again? It’s taken me seven months to complete a season!
  • Many people are commenting that it's a bit easy this year and I have to agree. Top of the championship having just been promoted from league one with the team I have seems a bit unrealistic. 

I can understand them doing it because everyone's had a shit year so they don't want a double-hard game, but I hope they dial it back a bit in future patches. 
  • Finally got round to starting a Charlton season over the last few weeks and  I'm not too sure what to make of it so far.

I'm 8 games into the season, sitting 2nd on 18 points. Won 5, drawn 3 and lost 0. We're scored the second most in the league (13) and conceded the third least (4). 

Now that all sounds great however, I'm starting games with a 4-3-1-2 formation which is dominating possession but we just never really look like scoring. Every game I'm watching the full match and having to make multiple changes to the formation and tactics to finally get ahead in the game. Most of the time I'm going with a simple 4-4-2 in the second half and eventually we score. We've scored 5 last minute winners already this season. The last game I was drawing 1-1 against Northampton until the last minute when Joe Pigott scored a header in the last minute for me.

I really want to make the 4-3-1-2 formation work as it should suit the squad but other than the first two games where it worked really well I'm struggling with it. Has anyone played with a similar formation or even a narrow diamond and had success with it?

• edited January 2021
    Finally got round to starting a Charlton season over the last few weeks and  I'm not too sure what to make of it so far.

I'm 8 games into the season, sitting 2nd on 18 points. Won 5, drawn 3 and lost 0. We're scored the second most in the league (13) and conceded the third least (4). 

Now that all sounds great however, I'm starting games with a 4-3-1-2 formation which is dominating possession but we just never really look like scoring. Every game I'm watching the full match and having to make multiple changes to the formation and tactics to finally get ahead in the game. Most of the time I'm going with a simple 4-4-2 in the second half and eventually we score. We've scored 5 last minute winners already this season. The last game I was drawing 1-1 against Northampton until the last minute when Joe Pigott scored a header in the last minute for me.

I really want to make the 4-3-1-2 formation work as it should suit the squad but other than the first two games where it worked really well I'm struggling with it. Has anyone played with a similar formation or even a narrow diamond and had success with it?

I play a variation on a narrow diamond. Looks like this. 

Strikers on individual instructions to pull wide, wing-backs also go high and wide. Other instructions based on the player's attributes (dribble more, less, take more risks, etc.).  You do need good wing-backs as they see a lot of the ball and your midfielders need good passing and composure as they play in tight spaces. (You don't have to play one BPD and one CD that just suits my players). 

If the match isn't going so great it's usually a case of playing a bit wider or dropping the defensive line back a touch. But otherwise it works well for me.
  • Got promotion to prem within 2 years....8th after 15 games with a very average squad. 

Lost 4 games on the trot and got sacked!!

At Rangers now...
  • Won league first season bogle top goal scorer. 
    Playing 532 WB Second season no money what so ever all  I could afford to resign Levitt on loan and a 22 year old CB from West Ham  tuchin or something.only won about 3 game defence couldn’t keep a clean sheet nearly always losing buy the odd goal bogle top scorer again. Getting threatened with sack. Preston came in fir me offered 4 times me wages and now I’m bottom of premiership instead. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Got a new laptop at Christmas, promoted in 2nd first season and was running away top of the championship in January in second season.... Then the laptop cut out, now when I turn it on the keyboard lights up but no screen, the fans don't spin up and nothing happens. Had to send it back to get it replaced but probably means I've lost my save. Gutted is an understatement 
  • started at dulwich hamlet, got them promoted first season and 2nd after a few games, then got the job at leyton orient bottom of league two and taken them to the play off positions in early december. Gen gen press 4231 seems to work well for me.
  • edited January 2021
    Chunes said:
    Finally got round to starting a Charlton season over the last few weeks and  I'm not too sure what to make of it so far.

Strikers on individual instructions to pull wide, wing-backs also go high and wide. Other instructions based on the player's attributes (dribble more, less, take more risks, etc.).  You do need good wing-backs as they see a lot of the ball and your midfielders need good passing and composure as they play in tight spaces. (You don't have to play one BPD and one CD that just suits my players). 

If the match isn't going so great it's usually a case of playing a bit wider or dropping the defensive line back a touch. But otherwise it works well for me.
    This is the same formation I'm using, it's just very congested in the middle despite using wing backs. I've mad a few tweaks but I'm still having to go 4-4-2 in the second half. It's frustrating but at least we are winning the games once I have made changes.

I'll stick with it for a while and If I don't find something that works I'll just have to change the formation from the start.

Do you think playing with more width would help? My concern was playing this formation but with more width kind of defeats the idea of having a compact midfield. We're very hard to break down and hardly concede which is great, but it does come at the expense of struggling to break teams down ourselves despite having lots of the ball. It would also mean we probably have to play slightly more direct as the players would be further apart and so shorter passing would not really work too well. 

• edited January 2021
    Chunes said:

This is the same formation I'm using, it's just very congested in the middle despite using wing backs. I've mad a few tweaks but I'm still having to go 4-4-2 in the second half. It's frustrating but at least we are winning the games once I have made changes.

I'll stick with it for a while and If I don't find something that works I'll just have to change the formation from the start.

Do you think playing with more width would help? My concern was playing this formation but with more width kind of defeats the idea of having a compact midfield. We're very hard to break down and hardly concede which is great, but it does come at the expense of struggling to break teams down ourselves despite having lots of the ball. It would also mean we probably have to play slightly more direct as the players would be further apart and so shorter passing would not really work too well. 

Yeah try it. I find that setting the width as narrow in a formation that is naturally narrow just leads to your players standing next to each other. I play on middle width and they at least have some distance between them. In my experience, narrow only seems to work when you want to hold out at the end. 

I would say that on middle width setting they still end up reasonably close together since it's still a packed midfield, but the wing-backs are a frequent crossfield out-ball and they're in acres of space. The DLP is usually free as well. It might be tweaking your setting to make sure certain players are pulling wide, too.

What roles are your midfielder 3 on?
  • Cheers mate I'll give it a go :-)
  • Just to add, making a narrow formation work on FM is one of the most challenging things to do since the engine loves width and wingers!
  • Chunes said:
    Just to add, making a narrow formation work on FM is one of the most challenging things to do since the engine loves width and wingers!
    Yeah I know, I never do it usually to be honest I'm much more used to playing a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 but I wanted to try and get this to work because of the amount of good midfielders we have in the game.

I did sign a few decent wingers on loan so I had a plan B if I failed. Worst comes to worse I'll just end up playing a system I'm used to. 
  • I signed Niall Ennis 2nd season and he was immense. 28 goals in Championship. Signed Scott Fraser aswell for 400k and he was quality. 
  • Delap or Doyle on loan from City are just filthy. 

Can get both in the championship second or third season in.
  • I signed Niall Ennis 2nd season and he was immense. 28 goals in Championship. Signed Scott Fraser aswell for 400k and he was quality. 

Both being scouted for me throughout the season, hopefully I'll get both in Jan or next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Won League one first season with no prolific goal scorer, struggled to settle with a team or formation 

second season, signed Joe Gelhardt on loan from Leeds and he scored 32, finished 6th and lost in playoffs.

third season, brought Taylor back from Forest and he scored 31, played Gelhardt off the right wing and he got 20. finished 2nd behind Brighton

About to start Prem season and only made a few first team signings. Gelhardt permanent (Leeds went down), Marty Cash and Tom Davies. Now everyone in my squad wants 30k per week!

played the whole time with the built in Control Possession 4-2-3-1 positive with a few tweaks on roles. 
  • Ben18 said:
    Won League one first season with no prolific goal scorer, struggled to settle with a team or formation 

second season, signed Joe Gelhardt on loan from Leeds and he scored 32, finished 6th and lost in playoffs.

third season, brought Taylor back from Forest and he scored 31, played Gelhardt off the right wing and he got 20. finished 2nd behind Brighton

About to start Prem season and only made a few first team signings. Gelhardt permanent (Leeds went down), Marty Cash and Tom Davies. Now everyone in my squad wants 30k per week!

played the whole time with the built in Control Possession 4-2-3-1 positive with a few tweaks on roles. 
    Yeah I found that! Had a 33 year old Gunter asking for a pay rise of £20k! So many contract renewals.
  • Ben18 said:
    Won League one first season with no prolific goal scorer, struggled to settle with a team or formation 

Get off this website 🤣🤣
  • Ben18 said:

Get off this website 🤣🤣

I'll probably resign him too to be fair, despite his actions I can't help but like him haha. 
  • Running away with the league now, I managed to get the 4-3-1-2 to work but I still regularly change to 4-4-2 during games just to keep teams guessing and to rotate the players. 

Signed Scott Fraser in Jan along with Harry Cornick and Jason Cummings. Cornick has been very impressive in the 6 sub appearances he’s made with 2 goals and 3 assists.

Everyone’s been very good but Adam Idah on loan from Norwich is a must for anyone just starting a season.  Only paying 1k a week for him and he has 19 goals so far in 23 games. 
  •  

Signed Scott Fraser in Jan along with Harry Cornick and Jason Cummings. Cornick has been very impressive in the 6 sub appearances he’s made with 2 goals and 3 assists.

Got Cummings at the start and he ran away with the league for me in the first season with 33 goals 
  • LTKapal said:

Got Cummings at the start and he ran away with the league for me in the first season with 33 goals 
    He’s been good, I rotate my squad so much but as I type this he’s just scored 3 against Gillingham as we won 4-0
  • edited January 2021
    There’s some crazy stats in the first picture. 
  • Finished the season top with 110 points. I’m going to do a big re build in the summer though, ideally looking to bring in about 12 new players. 

• Finally got a new game going on FM21 against a couple of mates, never managed to snare the Prem or Champions League with Grimsby in FM20 thanks to Conte's Man Utd so time to move on.

Three of us in an online game playing as the three bottom rated Bundesliga II teams - Wurzburger Kickers, Eintracht Braunschweig (me) and Jahn Regensburg.

Quite satisfying exporting budget Champ/League 1 players to Germany - brought in Matt Smith (loan) for my 'hoof it to the big man' emergency tactic, Scott Malone on pricey wages for set pieces and Tyler Blackett for some defensive versatility (loan). Chris Solly chose Luton over a backup role for me, couldn't free up the funds for Jason Cummings and scouts put me off Aneke just as I was about to confirm the transfer.

I won't lie, we've lost the first 5 league games in a row - including 5-0 against rivals Hannover 96 and are creating approx 0.2xG a game so it's gonna be a slog. Have set up a main 4-4-2 diamond vertical tiki-taka (as my best players are DM/CM/AMC), counter-attacking 4-5-1 for better/pressing teams and an industrial, long ball 4-4-2 when things are getting desperate.

Keeping the textbook 4-2-3-1 gegenpress in the back pocket but would like to experiment a bit before getting it out. Wish me luck!