Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Manager 2021

Comments

• Options
    Been playing around on my charlton save and seem to have the most success playing 3-4-3 with wingbacks.  How are people doing with charlton?
  • Options
    Not played FM21 for ages after finding it far too easy, was playing European football within 6 seasons. Mental.
  • Options
    I’m still on season 2 on fm2020.

played it yesterday with our game on in the back ground. Beat palace 4-1 and millwall 3-0 and am top after 15 games, winning 13.

bowyer is Portsmouth manager and is calling me out in the press for being tactically inept. Look at the table lee, look at the table
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Just got promoted to the Prem, finished second to Spurs. (Yep, Harry Kane was playing in the Championship).

Had a great cup run and made the FA Cup Final but lost to Man Utd, a bit unlucky on the xG. 

First few Prem games have been draws, not showing a lot of attacking threat. Think it will be a bit of a scrappy season. 
  • Options
    In to 2028-29 season now, finished 2nd in the prem last season. Champions league group of bayern marseille and lazio. Seem to be struggling to pick up wins in the league this season, lots of draws including a 0-0 with bayern and managed to beat marseille 1-0.

Managed to sign 36 year old de bruyne on a free in his last season, still decent stats but not performing all that well 
  • Options
    Second season in, playing the same 4-3-1-2 formation that smashed league 1. Currently top of the Championship after 30 games, 10 Points clear of third place. 
  • Options
    I’m terrible at FM but bought 21 a few weeks ago and doing alright at the moment, 6th in L1 at start of December. 

Awaiting the usual drop of form and a sacking towards the end of the season though. 

I’m not sure what it is but it always seems like I’m the only one that generally finds the game really hard. 

The only thing I’ve ever won on it is promotion from the Scottish championship with Queen of the South in FM 15. Their finances were in such a bad state though that they had to turn semi pro.
  • Options
    I’m terrible at FM but bought 21 a few weeks ago and doing alright at the moment, 6th in L1 at start of December. 

Awaiting the usual drop of form and a sacking towards the end of the season though. 

I’m not sure what it is but it always seems like I’m the only one that generally finds the game really hard. 

The only thing I’ve ever won on it is promotion from the Scottish championship with Queen of the South in FM 15. Their finances were in such a bad state though that they had to turn semi pro.
    Tbh I struggle with it as well. The old FM’s were much easier but find FM20 really tricky. I always seem to have more possession and shots than other teams but get beat. The only success I’ve had on it is with Maidstone and that was through getting really good loans in.
  • Options
    find the transfer market very difficult, the search by stats (what i use to use back in the day) is basically useless - everyone needs to be scouted, and even then your scouts fuck about and don't scout some one properly, you have to continually ask them to scout in order to completely get the full stats off some one. It's a right old slog, by which time the window is over or close to being finished and all the best people are taken. Then the following season, god help you if you get promoted because you have to do the whole thing again. 
  • Options
    Took on Charlton for my first game in FM21 (post-December update) and it's safe to say that I've not been doing well.

At the exact same stage of the season as 'real' Charlton and I've got 1 more point (52) at 34 games in and sit 8th, need a win the next game to save my job.

4-4-2 diamond mainly and more than anything am struggling to get anyone to put a finishing touch on things. Stockley my top scorer on 10 in all competitions, but recently morale went through the floor and we're grinding out points here and there. With the grim run-in think I wont make it to season 2!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Add me to the list of players who isn't very good at Football Manager. Don't think I've ever won anything on it. 
  • Options
    3rd season I finished 4th with Charlton in them premiership. Current season I’m battling for 1st. 

It does feel somewhat easier this time around, but maybe I just hit gold with some of my signings. Ricky-Jade Jones for 1.7m in my 2nd season already has over 100 league goals for me. Folarin Balogun has been on loan from arsenal every year for me and bags a minimum 20 a year, usually around 30. 

I’ve had my duds too, but I usually buy lots of players on the cheap, low risk/high reward deals. 

I’d also recommend getting your scouts out there looking for U18s to sign. Generally I raid the lower divisions in UK & Ireland and Brazil and Argentina (never seem to have work permit issues). 

Back it up with a few experienced players and you’ll be flying. 
  • Options
    Been playing the CM0102 update that brings everything up to the modern day, really good, a lot simpler than FM21 so I can rattle through seasons and a season doesn't take weeks om end given I don't have that much time to play.

Can play the original 01/02 for a bit of nostalgia too, and I think there's even a 93/94 update to make it even more retro.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Smashed it with Charlton in league one, got over 100 points, took me 3 seasons to get out of the championship.

Upon promotion to the premier league, I got offered the Brighton job.

I’d actually signed a reduced contract extension with Charlton, as I wasn’t bothered about my wages, and wanted the money to go into signing players / a improved transfer budget.

My budget in the premier league was practically impossible to compete, I didn’t want the stress every game of losing and getting relegated / having to get us back up again, so I took the Brighton job.

Finished 7th in the premier league, 7th with Brighton!!!!

At the end of the season I got sacked, what did they expect a title challenge!!

Disillusioned with the game, may fade into obscurity, FM is a cruel mistress.
  • Options
    Won league one with Peterborough, now sitting second in the Championship.

Had previously done a save as Charlton but lost interest after most of my top players got sold in real life (Maddison and Williams). Was going to start a new one after January update but the players are rated so poorly. Famewo is a 2.5 star league one CB for example.
  • Options
    I give away lots of fouls and get lots of bookings, about 5-6 a game.

I tell my players to ease of tackles but it doesn’t stop the bookings. Anything else I can do?
  • Options
    Been playing the CM0102 update that brings everything up to the modern day, really good, a lot simpler than FM21 so I can rattle through seasons and a season doesn't take weeks om end given I don't have that much time to play.

Can play the original 01/02 for a bit of nostalgia too, and I think there's even a 93/94 update to make it even more retro.
    Where did you get the 01/02 from with this years update mate?
  • Options
    I give away lots of fouls and get lots of bookings, about 5-6 a game.

I tell my players to ease of tackles but it doesn’t stop the bookings. Anything else I can do?
    Don't play Pratley. 
  • Options

Where did you get the 01/02 from with this years update mate?
    https://champman0102.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=1381

https://www.champman0102.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=2450

It's the 'Starter kit' download I went for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Top man 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I can’t play the game without backgrounds. I know it sounds mad but without them it’s all a bit bland.

what pack is that @cafctom
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The one I use is about 3-4 years old, but I just copy it over each year. I think I downloaded it from sortitoutsi.net - Just tried to look at what it is called and I think it might be this one - sortitoutsi Backgrounds Megapack

I have to admit - those Charlton pictures above are ones that I imported into the pack as the ones that were in the download felt a bit stale after a while. 

You can add your own pictures into the background packs by looking up the ID number and saving JPEGS under that number into the graphics pack. For Charlton, this is 628 for the city and 2000123507 for the stadium.

I did it last Sunday, and was incredibly bored at the time as you can imagine.
  • Options
    Needed a point at home to Hull to guarantee playoffs, lost 2-0, finished 8th but they gave me something crazy like £6m the next season after pleading with Sandgaard for my job!

I do now think post-January update our team isn’t very good to start off with. Cut all the dead wood though and won 7 of the first 8 games with an absurd League 1 central midfield of Tom Davies(!), Tommy Doyle and Billy Gilmour (all on loan)... as well as raiding P’Boro for Clarke-Harris and Dembele and Ipswich for Woolfenden. If I don’t piss the league I’m awful.

Sold Forster-Caskey to Millwall which felt so wrong.
  • Options
    Does the latest update give you money under TS?
  • Options
    I do think they might have made it a tad too easy this year. After breaking the record league 1 points total with Charlton I got bored so decided to take on a bit more of a challenge and started at Wigan. Despite the fact they start with an embargo and needing to play youth players marked as 'good enough for the vanarama national', we again went up with well over 100 points. 

Snuck into 6th place in the champ second season with very little investment, besting premier league teams Fulham and Southampton on the way, though we came up short in the playoffs. In the third season, again only signing free agents and loans, we were promoted in second place, while also beating Chelsea on route to the FA cup semi final. 

I'm really enjoying the save, but I wish it was a bit more challenging. My tactics are very minimalist so I'm certainly not doing anything game breaking! One thing I will say is I really like this year's match engine and hope they don't change it too much next year. 
  • Options
    alicwkd said:
    I do think they might have made it a tad too easy this year. After breaking the record league 1 points total with Charlton I got bored so decided to take on a bit more of a challenge and started at Wigan. Despite the fact they start with an embargo and needing to play youth players marked as 'good enough for the vanarama national', we again went up with well over 100 points. 

Snuck into 6th place in the champ second season with very little investment, besting premier league teams Fulham and Southampton on the way, though we came up short in the playoffs. In the third season, again only signing free agents and loans, we were promoted in second place, while also beating Chelsea on route to the FA cup semi final. 

I'm really enjoying the save, but I wish it was a bit more challenging. My tactics are very minimalist so I'm certainly not doing anything game breaking! One thing I will say is I really like this year's match engine and hope they don't change it too much next year. 
    yeah this year's match engine has been the best on release for many years. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Does the latest update give you money under TS?
    Not in the first season - had about £200k, but loads in the 2nd. My guaranteed budget for 3rd season (assuming I don't get promoted) is £4.5m, at one point this season I think I had £9m to spend. We're properly minted in FM anyway.
  • Options
    I’m still on season 2 of fm 20. Southall is chairman and despite being 15 points clear of the championship at christmas, I have £0 budget and £159k a week wages. I can’t even afford an u-18 manager as the weekly allowance is £250.

ive bought an editor but have no clue how it works or how to download the game. Google says there should be a pencil editing icon but I can’t see this!

any ideas on how I change southalls name to sandgaard and increase my budget to a realistic figure?