Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lincoln v Charlton | Sun 27 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Football League One - Week Three

Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic

Sunday 27th September 2020 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Marc Edwards

Introduction
Charlton return to the road and the North this weekend as Lee Bowyer and his boys looks to bounce back from their first setback of the season. Last Saturday would see Doncaster coming to town and despite a spirited effort from the Addicks, an early opposition goal would seriously knock the stuffing out of what was ultimately one of the worst performances we've seen under current Management!! - This Sunday will see Charlton playing the early pace setters who themselves will be looking to bounce back from what was an unsurprising result in the League Cup last night

The Opposition
Name: Lincoln City (2nd) | Manager: Michael Appleton
Ground: Sincil Bank
Previous Result: Milton Keynes Dons 1-2 Lincoln City

Its been a bit of a dream for Imps fans over the last few years... Relegation from the Football League in 2011 would result in a six year exile that wouldn't be a happy spell by any means, not once would they ever truly look like bouncing back and would end up in the bottom half of the table every season, which ultimately made their league title win all the more impressive. Of course it would be down to the PE Teacher: Danny Cowley and his brother, not just creating a team that could return to League Two, yet one that would reach the Quarter-Finals of the FA Cup.

The Cowley's departure was inevitable, they were bound to be picked up by a team higher up the Football League so it was no surprise when they left for Huddersfield last season, they would leave Lincoln where they are now (at the top end of League One) with the infamous: Michael Appleton the replacement... 2019/20 would slowly turn against the Imps yet would finish a respectable 16th place, their Manager though despite his "comedic" reputation is a man at this level who shouldnt be under-rated having previously done well at this level with Oxford United.

Whilst these two sides havent met in the League since 1961; Lincoln have a bit of a home record against the Addicks, they've only lost against us the once at Sincil Bank, yet they themselves have only beaten us the once - Despite that, this season, the Imps have four goals and just one conceded to their name... Like last week this could well prove to be another example of just how tough this season will be!!

Charlton Team News
Another week gone and another week unable to add reinforcements... Whilst the continued takeover appears to frustrate many its assuring to know that there might be light at the end of the tunnel, we've seen enough from this Charlton side to see that only a handful of players could push us towards a promotion battle provided that we dont get cut adrift, even then, previous seasons at this level have shown just how tight it remains until the very end.

On the player front, we were rocked by the news that Chuks Aneke had been struck down with Coronavirus so will now be absent from the squad for at least two weeks whilst he self-isolates... Alex Gilbey has joined him in the absent list, the midfielder has impressed in his two performances thus far has gone down with an achilles injury so will likely to be missing for a number of weeks!! - In defence and you have to wonder if now is the time to give Charlie Barker a break from the spotlight that is first-team football.

Amos
Lapslie | Oshilaja | Pratley | Purrington
Levitt | Forster-Caskey | Williams
Washington | Bonne | Doughty

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Barker | Vennings | Oztumer | Davison | Morgan | Henry

Prediction
Lincoln of course will be a challenge like any other team at this level, on a personal note I've always liked to judge Lee Bowyer (especially at this level) on how his teams bounce back from a poor performance - The main man was right though when he said last week that a lack of players means that his current side can be complacent seeing there are few options for Bowyer to change it up. On a normal showing you'd expect to see Charlton bounce back with aplomb, a draw might well be the best we can hope for

Comments

• Options
    Morgan really should be starting in my opinion. One of our best players on the ball and showed a lot of this ability against Doncaster before being moved to wing back. 
  • Options
    If we can curl shots in the top corner from the edge of the box like Liverpool, we will walk it.
  • Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    With the news that T Sandgaard has now officially taken control of the club I'm expecting a huge result tomorrow. 
    Lincoln 1 Charlton  9
  • Options
    why is this on a sunday?
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    why is this on a sunday?
    Because Lincoln played in the League Cup last night

Teams who play Thursday dont play on the Saturday as its unfair else
  • Options
    0-10 
  • Options
    Injury curse already begun with Gilbey receiving the customary introduction to the physioroom. 
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    That's the team I would go with apart from JFC. I would go with Morgan. 0-2 Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good preview FA , reckon the team might have a couple of new players at least. Going to go 2 - 1 Charlton , let the good times begin.
  • Options
    Lincoln have started the season really well, so this will be a tough match. 
  • Options
    Lincoln City have signed Nottingham Forest attacking midfielder Brennan Johnson on a season-long loan deal

They've strengthened as well!
  • Options
    Lincoln have thrown out their old guard defence and brought in a brand new, young back 4 .. they were doing well until the Scouse steamroller arrived last night .. Jorge Grant in midfield is their go-to man ..
     as I say, a much changed team not just in defence but all over and Appleton after replacing most of the Cowley Crew  has them well organised and playing good football ..
    I expect we'll be buoyed up by the takeover and the end to all the confusion and uncertainty (assuming there were no last minute hitches) .. this was one game I was especially looking forward to attending and instead will have to listen on the steam radio, goddamn the virus !!
    our team will be playing for their futures and I expect them to win

Lincoln City 1 v CAFC 3
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Amos
    Matthews Oshilaja Lynch Purrington
    Levitt Pratley Doughty
    Morgan
    Bonne Washington 

Subs: M.Brewer, Barker, F.Caskey, Lapslie, Williams, Carvalho, Davison

0-3
    Bonne, Washington, Doughty

Schwartz misses the deadline to play by 28 seconds... 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Amos
    Levitt Pratley Doughty
    Morgan
    Bonne Washington 

0-3

Where is Ben Watson?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Amos
    Levitt Pratley Doughty
    Morgan
    Bonne Washington 

0-3

Where is Ben Watson?
    Pub?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lincoln are a good side they’ll no doubt be top half this season maybe even pushing, Gilbey a big blow too.  Too early for us this weekend IMO (but probably the least we will care about losing for a while).

2-0 loss.
  • Options
    We’ve had our biggest result today! 
    Not bothered if we lose this game, our squad will look a lot different this time week. 
    A win on Sunday would be nice though! 
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    After today’s developments, I’d expect us to take the field as follows:

Allison 
             A-Arnold Lynch Gomez Chilwell
           De Bruyne Thiago Watson Sancho 
                  Washington Calvert-Lewin 
    Subs: Son, Bonne, Matthews, Messi, Pratley, Van Djik Amos.
    Manager, Dave Jones  ;)
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Allison 
                  Washington Calvert-Lewin 
    Manager, Dave Jones  ;)
    Nah Squad is a bit too old...
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Macronate said:

Allison 
                  Washington Calvert-Lewin 
    Brilliant!

Very hard one to predict. Lincoln have signed ten new players and have started the season very well, and we’re a bit all over the place. 
    I think we’ll be lucky to get a draw, unless someone really steps up to the plate. 

[Edit: Watson signing has increased my confidence levels, assuming he's fit etc.]
  • Options
    1-0 to them, proper charlton
  • Options
    Can't see past a 5-0 defeat.  But I don't care.
  • Options
    Yep 1-0 Imps
  • Options
    The problems with the squad are not going to solved overnight. We'll be lucky to get a result IMHO.
  • Options
    Tails up and Watson & Matthews settle in nicely. 2-1 win, The Imps tire in the last 20 after Thursday night’s cup game exploits. Washington and Bonne.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!