Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Post-match thread | Sunday 27th September

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It isn't doom and gloom. We should be optimistic when we have several new signings of decent quality in. But a fair commentary on what we saw today can't be a jolly one.
    People saying we won't be promoted this season after 3 league games is laughable.

9 game blocks.
    We’re going to take two of those nine game blocks waiting for the half dozen new signings to gel. Playing catch up is the name of the game. Could we maybe sneak a play off place if it comes together quickly?

It’s very unlikely that we will get promoted this season and that’s ok. It’ll take more than a few signings to fix the years of negligence that this football club has suffered.
    It's very unlikely that anyone can read the tea leaves, and yet after 3 matches decide the outcome of our season based on what we see right now.

I mean, we don't even know what the team will look like at the end of next month, let alone the end of the season.
    Plus there's also another transfer window to come in January.

I know we're tripping over our bootlaces at the moment, but unless Bowyer loses the plot, we'll make up plenty of lost ground in time.
    After all, it was March before we really got going last time in this League, and then swept all before us.

Only 43 games left to play, folks. It's a marathon, not a sprint (or any other tired old cliche you can think of). :smile:

• Options
    Still think Bonne is pulling a Lyle Taylor if QPR still wants him unload him we can get a descent striker for that money.
  • Options
    Figure it might take 4/5 more games to get the side we want with new players etc then we can begin our march up to the Championship.
  • Options
    Still think Bonne is pulling a Lyle Taylor if QPR still wants him unload him we can get a descent striker for that money.
    He's not refusing to play, and he's hardly doing anything wrong other than being out of form..... 
  • Options
    He's not refusing to play, and he's hardly doing anything wrong other than being out of form.....
    Hope you are right it might be just me maybe needs a few more games under his belt I think a lot of the players are rusty because of this Covid, A good example of that is the tremendous amount of injuries since the start of the NFL season,players are just out of form Andover are only in week three.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    ct_addick said:
    Bite QPRs hand off for 750k for Bonnie and get some decent strikers in 
    QPR have supposedly offered double that
    Get somebody In and send Bonne on loan to QPR. See if he can cut it. Then we will decide if he should be sold. If Thomas has th money why sell? If he comes off, maybe bring him back as Brighton did with White at Leeds. If we want to start building a club similar to Brentford, we need to box clever and not act like Oliver Twist. 
  • Options
    Things can’t get much worse footballing wise 
    We currently have a team not good enough to challenge for promotion .

We are 18th in League One 
    scum 8th in the Championship
    palarse 5th in the Prem 

We’re about to play Brighton u-8’s in a first team fixture (please, I’m a football snob get me out of this EFL Trophy shit)

Good news,  there’s no doubting Thomas who will provide the security we need as a club to progress and I’m certain our starting 11 will be much improved once Gallen works his magic .
    Promotion will be a big ask this season and probably a bit too much to ask but next season , no excuses, we have to be right amongst the top 6 and pushing top two (not in a million years will we sniff SCP’s promotion winning teams points record) .

3%   Automatic promotion 
    35%   Play offs 
    60%   7th-12th 
    2%   13th-20th
    0%       Relegation 

Even though we lost it felt good to me 🥴that it hurt more than it has for a good few years because under all the recent clownerships we’ve had I’ve been a bit numb towards it .
    Thanks Mojo,  I’ve got my Charlton Thomas back !!!

• Options
    A couple of players out there been linked with a big move. Someone needs to grab them by the ears as they are not very good. Average bunch who we will have forgotten in a couple of years time. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Sunderland & Ipswich up next....gulp!
  • Options
    masicat said:
    A couple of players out there been linked with a big move. Someone needs to grab them by the ears as they are not very good. Average bunch who we will have forgotten in a couple of years time. 
    Agreed. Just picking out 3 of the players:

Despite getting into double figures with goals last season, Bonne is clearly not a good footballer. His first touch is appalling and have we ever yet seen him score on a number of occasions in previous matches when he is one vs one against the keeper. Sure he will score a few with the head and get a few with instinctive taps ins etc but he is not good in holding the ball and laying it off, neither is he particularly strong in holding off defenders. Everyone is looking for a good striker but if we could bring a couple in and offload Bonne for a decent profit, that sounds good to me.

Doughty is a bright prospect, but were he to leave now for somewhere like Celtic he will doubtless not last long there in the first team. Playing week in week out in League 1 and with some decent coaching in terms of how to actually deliver some end product and practicing with his right foot occasionally, and he could have developed into a really good player by next summer.

Williams is a real enigma. Seems to be used exclusively as an impact sub, but invariably makes little or no impact nowadays.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sunderland & Ipswich up next....gulp!
    Maybe... Maybe not if we get three International Call-Ups (Washington | Williams | Levitt)
  • Options
    masicat said:

Despite getting into double figures with goals last season, Bonne is clearly not a good footballer. His first touch is appalling and have we ever yet seen him score on a number of occasions in previous matches when he is one vs one against the keeper. Sure he will score a few with the head and get a few with instinctive taps ins etc but he is not good in holding the ball and laying it off, neither is he particularly strong in holding off defenders. Everyone is looking for a good striker but if we could bring a couple in and offload Bonne for a decent profit, that sounds good to me.

Doughty is a bright prospect, but were he to leave now for somewhere like Celtic he will doubtless not last long there in the first team. Playing week in week out in League 1 and with some decent coaching in terms of how to actually deliver some end product and practicing with his right foot occasionally, and he could have developed into a really good player by next summer.

Williams is a real enigma. Seems to be used exclusively as an impact sub, but invariably makes little or no impact nowadays.

He is not very good.
  • Options
    Did the whole of the ball cross the whole of the line from Deji’s pass back that led to the late corner they scored from 
  • Options
    Cue the abuse 
  • Options
    We're tired of the old shit
    Let the new shit begin.

E for Everett
    E for Exiled
    E for Eels
  • Options
    masicat said:

Williams hasn't been the same since he came back from the knee injury against Derby, feels like he's lost his edge a bit. Didn't help that he continually had set backs when trying to come back, and then stuggled to get match fit after the lockdown.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    masicat said:

Williams hasn't been the same since he came back from the knee injury against Derby, feels like he's lost his edge a bit. Didn't help that he continually had set backs when trying to come back, and then stuggled to get match fit after the lockdown.
    His career has been blighted with injuries, at least he transformed the game at Wembley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half should have had 2 goals, then the absolutely incompetent officials allow a goal that was at least 2 yards off-side!!! Second half we were awful....gifted them a corner in the 88th minute and put no-one of any height on their top-scorer! We need 8/9 new players as a matter of urgency and Pearce back very soon. I was one to give Bonne a chance but last two games he has been appalling, and without a out and out striker we are fucked!! 
    Positives were Levitt, Washington, Oztumer (sp), Purrington and Akin (Norwich youngster)......with a decent cameo from Watson...thats it!!
    Purrington was rank for most of the game and has been since QPR A.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Since the start of the season - 1 win in 3
    Since the resumption in June - 3 wins in 12
    Since the start of the year - 6 wins in 24.

Need I go on ?  

That's 1 win every 4 games. And from a pretty large sample for the boys saying "give it time" or "look at the table after 12 games"

Yes we had injuries in Jan & couldn't strengthen due to the embargo. Yes we couldnt strengthen after relegation. 

So, now we have Thomas the Saviour. We have 3 weeks until the transfer window closes. We have 7 matches in October (less if games are called off due to international call ups). How many points do you think we will have after the magical 12 games ??

The above stats say only 2 more wins. I'll push the boat out and say 3 from the next 9 games plus a couple of draws. Let's be generous and say 3 draws......so an even 3,3,&3. 

15 points from 12 games. Probably enough to be out of the bottom 4 but not enough for the top half.

Oh what joy.

• Options
    @golfaddick, very good stats there despite the factual portrayal making for miserable reading. 

We mastered the art of throwing points away in the 45-50min and 90+ min period, so let's see if we can improve this season.
  • Options

Need I go on ?  

That's 1 win every 4 games. And from a pretty large sample for the boys saying "give it time" or "look at the table after 12 games"

Yes we had injuries in Jan & couldn't strengthen due to the embargo. Yes we couldnt strengthen after relegation. 

So, now we have Thomas the Saviour. We have 3 weeks until the transfer window closes. We have 7 matches in October (less if games are called off due to international call ups). How many points do you think we will have after the magical 12 games ??

The above stats say only 2 more wins. I'll push the boat out and say 3 from the next 9 games plus a couple of draws. Let's be generous and say 3 draws......so an even 3,3,&3. 

15 points from 12 games. Probably enough to be out of the bottom 4 but not enough for the top half.

Oh what joy.

Attaboy Golfie. That's the spirit, up and at em!

"Yes we had injuries in Jan & couldn't strengthen due to the embargo. Yes we couldnt strengthen after relegation. "

None of that counts though ..... eh? 
  • Options
    First half should have had 2 goals, then the absolutely incompetent officials allow a goal that was at least 2 yards off-side!!! Second half we were awful....gifted them a corner in the 88th minute and put no-one of any height on their top-scorer! We need 8/9 new players as a matter of urgency and Pearce back very soon. I was one to give Bonne a chance but last two games he has been appalling, and without a out and out striker we are fucked!! 
    Positives were Levitt, Washington, Oztumer (sp), Purrington and Akin (Norwich youngster)......with a decent cameo from Watson...thats it!!
    Really? Arguably our best player, although before today i agree with you he's been poor for a while
    I focused on him today.
    He gave the ball to the opposition on every occasion in the first 30 mins, before he finally passed to one of his team mates.
    Second half he was ok.
  • Options
    Really? Arguably our best player, although before today i agree with you he's been poor for a while
    I focused on him today.
    He gave the ball to the opposition on every occasion in the first 30 mins, before he finally passed to one of his team mates.
    Second half he was ok.
    One of us must be losing the plot because he played well first half, linked up with Doughty well and for once his touch/passing was good. Second half less so imo, I’ll let the jury decide... 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Need I go on ?  

Oh what joy.

Attaboy Golfie. That's the spirit, up and at em!

"Yes we had injuries in Jan & couldn't strengthen due to the embargo. Yes we couldnt strengthen after relegation. "

None of that counts though ..... eh? 
    Might do, might not. Did Luton & Barnsley strengthen much in January ?  If they did then it didn't take effect until after the re-start as they were certs for relegation until the last knockings in July. 

Ok, so if we take your point then the next 3 months we can see a big upswing in our results as we now have the resources to strengthen. I expect to see us win from a losing position in 2 or 3 of those games & also not to squander a 1-0 lead with 10 mins to go.

RIght-o.