Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aaron Henry - loaned to Crawley p8

Comments

• Options
    @bolloxbolder is very reasonable in his comment about Aaron being too slow.
    However it isn't about technique or vision or skill. Maybe he can be more alert and sharpen up his all round game.
  • Options
    I'm worried by this one, however talented he is, he lacks any sort of pace. I'm not talking about lightning pace, but pace to get away from opposition around him. I watched him quite closely during the games he played and he was caught in posession numerable times. He is a brave player, always looking for a forward pass , an attacking option, but many of those passes got cut out. I hope I'm wrong, would love for Henry to become a quality player for us, but on the evidence i've seen so far I'm not sure, you can't coach speed.
  • Options
    Got potential for sure but agree with others he showed he isnt ready to be in our team if we are to be challenging near the top this coming season

6-12 month league 2 loan would be ideal 
  • Options
    Rate him and takes a fantastic set piece but needs 6 months in League 2 to get quicker on the ball - he's got the technical side of the game. 
  • Options
    I'm not convinced by Aaron Henry. He is so clearly a player that is used to being one of the best on the pitch - this was evident when I first saw him a couple of years ago. I think as such there has been a confidence that has, at times, manifested as arrogance. 

But he's only 19 - I remember what I was like at that age. And how different I was even a couple of years later! Hopefully he can come good but he needs to go to a VNL side where he's mentored by someone with pedigree, and where he can emerge as the best player in the team, rather than expect to dominate.

He's got good technique and vision, but not always execution, and I think he thinks he should be running the show. So the next step is a big learning curve imo
  • Options
    We need some players to play in the EFL Trophy & League Cup  :)
  • Options
    Good player... might become great. Happy with this news 
  • Options
    Don’t mind this, he’s too young to be written off.

I hope he goes on loan to a L2 club but I expect he’ll be part of our first team squad at least until January.
  • Options
    Very happy with this. I really rate him. He now needs to play regularly, but it's obvious that the talent is there. We just need to make sure we don't Albie Morgan him by never having him play regular men's football in his formative years. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he can sort his tackling and work rate, for me that is all that is missing. His passing range is as good as any and his striking is right up there for a midfielder in this league.
  • Options
    There isn’t really anyone at the club who can take a decent free kick - so for that alone he is worth resigning particularly at his age. I think he is a ‘potential’ upgrade on Albie ( who couldn’t take a free kick) 
  • Options
    Still young and can improve but on the limited game time I saw him in this year he needs to improve alot
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    HandG said:
    Hal1x said:
    Glad he's staying as he's clearly got talent and might become a decent footballer.

But he really needs to work on his game awareness and fitness/mobility. You can't get away with strolling around, with the occasional nice touch or set piece.
    I couldnt see any evident talent.
    I thought the same as he laced it into the top corner from 25 yards against a Championship team. No talent whatsoever. 
    One goal doesn't make a summer.

Even that overweight, slow, couldn't be arsed, past it JFH got two.
  • Options
    Not convinced by Henry but hope to be proved wrong. Felt the same about Parker so what do I know?  Do agree with othets re the loan idea and then come back in Jan to help a promotion charge.
  • Options
    He had a substantial spell at Wealdstone as an 18 year old and did pretty well there.
  • Options
    At the moment, inconsistent like Albie but too early to be sure it will remain that way, unlike Albie.
  • Options
    Signing number one!

Grief.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Maybe one for the bench, but not one that should be starting regularly unless he improves.
    But a loan might be best for him.
  • Options
    If you have a 19 year old who has any sort of talent even if there is some uncertainty, you sign them to a 2-3 year low wage contract.  90% of them won’t be good enough in the long run but it gives you time to evaluate them, develop them and loan them out to. see if there is anything there.  The kids who are released at 19 are generally the ones who clearly aren’t going to be good enough for league football.  I would be more worried if we didn’t sign him even though I am pretty skeptical he will ever play a substantive role for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All these comments, he should be on loan, one for the bench blah blah, who are we kidding he’ll be in and around the first team for the season ahead. I have seen so little of him apart from that poor performance at the end of the season I can’t really comment but I honestly don’t see us signing loads of new players. We’ll add in places we have holes but what we have left will be part of the first team squad.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see whether we send him out on a developmental loan or whether he is in the squad as backup for McGrandles or whoever.
    I know what I think
  • Options
    Has not impressed me at all so far - will be delighted if he does well.
  • Options
    Leaburn, Ness and Campbell are the three younger players who have impressed this season and I would be delighted if they all signed contract extensions. 
    As for Henry I think he's a fair way behind these in his development. 
  • Options
    Why is a 19 year old with less than 5 league starts being written off?

he didn't hit the ground running and definitely needs minutes in l2 to help him develop but he definitely has potential.

he had a shocker against morecombe (I think) but at least he lost the ball trying to move it forward. Most of our other midfielders are good at loosing the ball knocking it sideways 
    We've had a decent amount of kids in recent years who have hit the ground running.

So they've sadly set the benchmark for anyone else coming through

You can also understand why Managers wont risk giving kids an opportunity at times (Anywhere), if the fans arent prepared to be patient with them either
  • Options

Aaron Henry on signing his new contract (June 2023)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YrKjUBZ4Qg
  • Options
    He had a poor game when he tried a bit too hard IMO. It is part of the learning process and trying hard is actually a quality if he can direct it better through experience.