Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Government urged to allow return of fans (ed. Limited crowds to return in Tiers 1&2)

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
    As from today it is obligatory to wear a mask outdoors in the town in which I live. I give it until December before I have to wear it in my own garden.

Sorry, slightly wrong thread.
  • Options
    And so it continues. No football fans for Clubs who are desperately struggling for income, yet.......

• Options

Dear Clive 

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels”.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

The debate is scheduled for 9 November 2020.

Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Thanks,
    The Petitions team
    UK Government and Parliament

• Options
    Answer will obviously be no, but hoping they can actually get government to agree to some metric as to when supporters are allowed back in. 

Imagine we will get the random month of March for them to review and decide whether to allowing supporters for 10 matches left of the seasons.
  • Options
    My local MP, Greg Clark, is still supportive of a return for fans and has promised to write to the Minister. Obviously that might change depending on the lockdown situation, although my personal view is that a limited attendance can still be as safe as any other activity that’s allowed (such as going to the shops).
  • Options
    I think a lot of the issues are around thousands cramming on public transport and possibly into pubs as well.
    It's not just about safety in the stadiums.
    So how are those attending the cinemas and events such as at the Albert Hall getting there and home after a couple of beers (before and after the event?) 
  • Options
    Also, had an email informing me that the matter will be debated in Parliament.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick19 said:
    I think a lot of the issues are around thousands cramming on public transport and possibly into pubs as well.
    So how are those attending the cinemas and events such as at the Albert Hall getting there and home after a couple of beers (before and after the event?) 
    I take your point but the RHA capacity is 5272 & Palladium is 2286.
    If football was allowed 1/3 capacity, Man U would have nearly 25,000 attending.
    Good luck to an authority saying others can have 30% but Man U would have to have less (for example).
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    I take your point but the RHA capacity is 5272 & Palladium is 2286.
    If football was allowed 1/3 capacity, Man U would have nearly 25,000 attending.
    Good luck to an authority saying others can have 30% but Man U would have to have less (for example).
    People at the Palladium are likely to disperse in all different directions, whereas with many football clubs, there is only one way there

On the other hand, more people will be driving to football grounds than to West End theatres
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    addick19 said:
    "Good morning everyone, can you all hear me? does anyone want to argue that fans should be able to attend football matches with half the country locked down? no? ok meeting adjourned, reschedule for Jan, mines a Gin and Slim!."
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    addick19 said:
    "Good morning everyone, can you all hear me? does anyone want to argue that fans should be able to attend football matches with half the country locked down? no? ok meeting adjourned, reschedule for Jan, mines a Gin and Slim!."
    This, except rescheduled for March at earliest.
  • Options

• Dear Clive,

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels”.

Government responded:

We will take the earliest opportunity to look again at getting spectators safely back into stadia but this must clearly be done carefully against the prevailing health conditions.

Football clubs form the bedrock of our communities and play a vital role in the local economy. Their importance has been clearly demonstrated throughout the pandemic with clubs at all levels providing incredible support to their area.

That is why the Government is committed to supporting sports clubs up and down the country, with many football clubs benefitting from the Government’s unprecedented financial support to businesses.

The Government is fully aware of the importance of getting spectators back into stadia for many sports, and the financial consequences of the decision not to allow this from 1 October. The evidence received from the Chief Medical Officer was very clear that at a time of rapidly rising infections, and when the Government was considering restrictions elsewhere, it was not the right time to undertake any further easements.

We will continue to work closely with a whole range of sports to understand the latest thinking that might allow spectators to return. This includes the creation of a new Sports Technology Innovation Working Group of sporting bodies and health experts to analyse new technologies which might support this. This will supplement the draft government guidance, and the SGSA supplementary guidance to their Green Guide, which has been internationally welcomed.

We are committed to getting spectators back into stadia as soon as it is safe to do so.

Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036?reveal_response=yes

This petition has over 100,000 signatures. The Petitions Committee will consider it for a debate. They can also gather further evidence and press the government for action.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,
      The Petitions team

• Options

Dear Clive 

You recently signed the petition “Review the need for a statutory owners and Directors Test in Football”:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/331589

The Petitions Committee would like to hear your views on why football clubs are important, and who you think should be responsible for ensuring they survive the Covid-19 pandemic.

Share your views by completing this anonymous survey: https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/CYLH7W/.

The survey will close at 9am on Monday 2 November.

Thanks,
    The Petitions team

• Options
    Don't forget to tune in to the debate on this petition at 4.30pm this Monday 9 November, which you can watch live here: https://youtu.be/sYU-qzMgWog.
    or these tv channels
    Frreview 232
    SKY        504
    Virgin     605
    http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Commons

• Options
    clive said:
    Don't forget to tune in to the debate on this petition at 4.30pm this Monday 9 November, which you can watch live here: https://youtu.be/sYU-qzMgWog.
    or these tv channels
    Frreview 232
    SKY        504
    Virgin     605

Enlighten us Clive, how was it?
  • Options
    If you've got an hour and twenty minutes to spare, you can watch it yourself on the youtube link. It's not in the main chamber though - looks like Westminster Hall maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    If we're not allowed out the door without good reason then I can't see why people think going to watch a football match is ok. That's just the way it is and we have to live with it.
    I think the arguments being made for being able to watch live “elite level” football at the start of this petition, which were ridiculous then, are completely dead now.

Hopefully the vaccine will prepare the way for us to get back to watching our team in person, maybe even before the end of the season.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    clive said:
    or these tv channels
    Frreview 232
    SKY        504
    Virgin     605

I watched the debate this morning, it was good to hear MP's speaking up for their local clubs, the clubs they supported & their constituents rather than their political party.
    Most of the speakers seemed to realise the importance of fans attending matches & what a difference it makes to the finances of lower league clubs & the surrounding businesses. None of the speakers were asking for an immediate return of fans to stadia but most were asking for a plan to get a reduced amount of fans back in grounds as soon as possible with a possible target date.
    Some of the speakers seemed to think that football fans are treated differently to other sports fans & other customers of the leisure industry.
  • Options
    clive said:
    PopIcon said:
    clive said:
    or these tv channels
    Frreview 232
    SKY        504
    Virgin     605

I watched the debate this morning, it was good to hear MP's speaking up for their local clubs, the clubs they supported & their constituents rather than their political party.
    Most of the speakers seemed to realise the importance of fans attending matches & what a difference it makes to the finances of lower league clubs & the surrounding businesses. None of the speakers were asking for an immediate return of fans to stadia but most were asking for a plan to get a reduced amount of fans back in grounds as soon as possible with a possible target date.
    Some of the speakers seemed to think that football fans are treated differently to other sports fans & other customers of the leisure industry.
    Just a bit of an understatement. I wonder whether that comments applies to pre covid or just post covid.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    If we're not allowed out the door without good reason then I can't see why people think going to watch a football match is ok. That's just the way it is and we have to live with it.
    Yep, not allowing 50 people in a pub tells me that thousands will not be allowed in a football ground.  Rightly or wrongly.
  • Options
    8 months in and we have zero idea when we are allowed back into stadium. No metric to follow, no targets. Just no supporters are not allowed back in. I would be absolutely shocked if anyone is allowed crowds into the stadium before next season at the very earliest. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Yep, not allowing 50 people in a pub tells me that thousands will not be allowed in a football ground.  Rightly or wrongly.
    Rightly in my eyes, mass gatherings should be banned and made illegal until we get this virus under control.
  • Options
    Obviously now with lockdown isn't the right time to allow fans in BUT there was a big inconsistency before this lockdown between where people could gather and where they couldn't, and this will return in December if we go back to the October arrangements

The split between elite and no-elite football was clearly flawed as well
  • Options
    8 months in and we have zero idea when we are allowed back into stadium. No metric to follow, no targets. Just no supporters are not allowed back in. I would be absolutely shocked if anyone is allowed crowds into the stadium before next season at the very earliest. 
    That is what some of the speakers wanted to know, a clear strategy & target date to get some fans back in stadiums as soon as possible, especially into lower/non-league grounds where people were allowed to attend until the present lockdown.
  • Options
    And by the end of the 21/22 season I'll be amazed if grounds are able to take 75% capacity.
  • Options
    clive said:
    That is what some of the speakers wanted to know, a clear strategy & target date to get some fans back in stadiums as soon as possible, especially into lower/non-league grounds where people were allowed to attend until the present lockdown.
    I saw Broadbridge Heath v Langney on the last weekend before lockdown.
    There were around 120 people there able to adhere to distancing etc.  It is crazy that clubs at this level are not able to stage games with spectators.