Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Bring back Phil Chapple. Seriously … he was the architect the last time we were successful under Chris Powell. Knows his onions 
    Pretty sure he’s at Fulham. 
    I think Garry Nelson said, when talking about the old boys reunion for the Curbs stand unveil, before the Oxford game, that Chapple (Chaps) was scouting for Luton, and was there on business as well as to honour curbs!
  • Options
    I do wonder if we are going a bit over the top with criticism at the moment?

I know we’re not great at the moment and I’m not defending whether we are or not.

But didn’t Peter Varney have his son at the club for a time, different times, same thing?

And yet in general terms PV is highly thought of by the fanbase.

Time will tell whether all this is right or not, Thomas isn’t daft, if he can see things are not working, I’m sure he’ll make changes in time.
    I think Alex Varney was in the academy before Peter joined the club but those accusations will always be made.
    It’s not a problem when a senior club employee has a relative at the club. Why not. I’ve said before that as long as the coaching staff are happy with the footballing progress being made all’s well. Anybody not cutting it will soon be found out. I really hope Jacob goes on and forges a successful professional career. If he’s good enough I’m sure he will.
  • Options
    It's either just an "awkward coincidence" or "somewhat suspicious" that the one position where we seem to be most short in, just happens to be the one where Ged Roddy's son plays....
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Would rather see Curbs as DOF....a real football man....no analytics just knows a good player when he sees one
    Think is, the covered end is going to be unveiled as the “Ged Roddy MBE stand” on Saturday, so would be bad PR to sack him and replace him with Curbs.
  • Options
    Looking on the positive side, Adkins and Gallen must be quite happy that all the flak flying around seems to be aimed at Roddy...
  • Options
    It's either just an "awkward coincidence" or "somewhat suspicious" that the one position where we seem to be most short in, just happens to be the one where Ged Roddy's son plays....
    Not really. They've been playing a thirty something right back out of position instead of junior, if it was an actual conspiracy of any kind Jr would've been shoe horned into every game.

We do need a left back and we should have signed one by now but I think this is a bit of a stretch honestly.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Jacob Roddy hasn't been a total disaster on the field of play. Certainly no worse than plenty of other youth left-backs we've had. He clearly has ability, regardless of how much his move was smoothed by his dad's presence
    Does he?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Leuth said:
    Jacob Roddy hasn't been a total disaster on the field of play. Certainly no worse than plenty of other youth left-backs we've had. He clearly has ability, regardless of how much his move was smoothed by his dad's presence
    Does he?
    I don’t think so but it’s all about opinions he’s got some ability but he’d be like a lamb to the slaughter in L1 football at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Released by Southampton at 16 is no disgrace. Two years at Bradford College then a Professional contract at a league one club. You can understand why questions are being asked and eyebrows raised.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    se9addick said:
    Leuth said:
    Does he?
    I don’t think so but it’s all about opinions he’s got some ability but he’d be like a lamb to the slaughter in L1 football at the moment.
    Most opinions are incorrect
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    RedChaser said:
    se9addick said:
    Leuth said:
    Does he?
    Most opinions are incorrect
    What even yours and mine? 😉
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Released by Southampton at 16 is no disgrace. Two years at Bradford College then a Professional contract at a league one club. You can understand why questions are being asked and eyebrows raised.
    I was released by Arsenal at 16. Would love to throw my hat in the mix for this token left back spot, but unfortunately I’m currently ruled out by a ruptured waistline injury. 
    Respect 👏, out of interest was that doing the limbo mate 😉.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ct_addick said:

Yes it's a little different and because Carl and Tracy Leaburn are club legends we will probably let it slide and rightly so.  TS has looked at Brentford with a Danish owner and coach and their 'moneyball' approach. Is that how we are operating ? Maybe the stats for Dobson and Clare stood out ? Do we have an analytics expert now at the club ? Not sure but not been impressed TBH. Early doors but not heading in right direction. 

Jumping in, remembered some mention of data analysis in an old interview from Adkins, tracked it down and:

Asked about the process of bringing in players, Adkins told the South London Press: “I like to be hands on but we have got a recruitment team here. Steve Gallen heads that up, Ged Roddy is in there – there is all the data analysis that goes on.

“There are attributes I’m looking for in the team. The guys are spending a lot of time researching the players who are out there. At the appropriate time we will sit down together and say ‘these are the players we can bring in, how do we go and do it?’ And I’ll be involved at that stage a bit more.”

Back in May here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-nigel-adkins-asked-about-transfer-window-recruitment-process/

From Gallen's interview on the OS after signing Clare

"We talk through all these things - myself, the manager, Ged Roddy [Technical Director] and the chairman. We’re all talking and giving our opinions, and we all decide whether to move for a player. We all agreed pretty quickly on Sean Clare, we were well aware of him."

Looks like the committee tried to build a horse and ended up with a camel.  As it stands.  There is still time to flatten the hump, just. 

It's the "data analysis" and "research", no issue with using data to back up real world scouting, but brings up images of our much loved ex laptop scout , just hope it's not used as a first identifier on a player, it honestly sounds like searching for a player on FM, pick your attributes and hit search.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Would rather see Curbs as DOF....a real football man....no analytics just knows a good player when he sees one
    THIS.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I think there is far too much use of stats , a midfielder that just passes sideways and backwards must have great stats compared with a creative midfielder that tries to make things happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Coalition Against Roddy - Drive him away!
  • Options
    head down and miserable....Ged certainly looked that when leaving the Welling ground amongst all the fans. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Not really. They've been playing a thirty something right back out of position instead of junior, if it was an actual conspiracy of any kind Jr would've been shoe horned into every game.

We do need a left back and we should have signed one by now but I think this is a bit of a stretch honestly.
    Not entirely. From nowhere he got to play in the EFL Cup and was on the bench for the Oxford game. It wouldn't surprise me if he was taken to MK Dons as part of the wider squad (they usually take more than 18). That's one hell of a jump from where he was a couple of months ago.

I'm not saying it's suspicious, but it's hardly surprising that a few eyebrows have been raised. After all if the academy just wanted to recruit an 18 year old left back, surely there would have been other options e.g. from the London Premier League clubs who regularly release loads of players
  • Options
    The posse are looking to string someone up. Roddy fits the bill but I don't think any of us can be sure that the recruitment decisions and lack of them so far are down to him alone or even largely him. The man who will know where responsibility lies is Thomas Sandgaard and it's he who will be feeling the he most pressure because he has th he most yo lose. Let's see how he responds before we hang anyone. His son's appointment isn't helping him but if that was an inappropriate decision, let's judge that once we are clearer who Sangaard holds primarily responsible for the mess we appear to be in.
    Unfortunately, I think the detectives have already put two and two together and decided that Roddy is an enemy. Hard to really turn the tide on that once the assumption has set in.
  • Options
    I have no idea if the lad will turn out to be decent or not but I just cant see Adkins standing for a player being put in the squad because of who his dad is. But alongside that it does seem very weird looking at his record before arriving here. But I just cant see it happening as there is too much money involved from TS perspective and Adkins had a reputation to consider. 
  • Options
    Adkins can't be happy with the budget he has unless we are paying big bucks, but the recruits we are bringing in wouldn't demand that money. He must be tolerating this and hoping for the best.