Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Nepotism or not. Football is a harsh business. If you’re not up to scratch you’ll soon be found out.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    thenewbie said:
    J BLOCK said:
    What did happen with that sponsorship deal he was working on. I know businesses at the Charlton golf day who were shocked at what happened with the current deal. 
    The deal (by Mumford not Roddy) was overhyped but it is not a sponsorship deal and it has been done. It will be announced in due course. It was never going to have any impact on the transfer budget.
    Airman. Are you hearing any rumblings about Roddys role and influence in the club?

Noise around a bit of a turf war in January, which I think Bowyer-Gallen won. I've never really seen the case for both Roddy and Gallen in L1 tbh.
    I think this is the nub of it. Sandgaard is trying to run the club like a "normal" business by having directors of X, y and z but this isn't really necessary. 

I don't think this is necessarily something that Roddy can be blamed for personally, he got given the job and is doing it. But I don't think it's been implemented particularly well.
    This isnt a dig in anyway mate but you say he has been given a job and he is doing it, how do you know that ? I think it is all a bit vague what his job is let alone that he is doing it ?
    Well either he IS doing his job and has part of the responsibility for how things are going (i.e. badly) or he's not doing anything and therefore it's nothing to do with him.

But all the quotes about what his job role actually is and how he fits in suggest he is doing SOMETHING. So while o can't comment on whether he's good at his job he does appear to be involved in some capacity.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Interesting tweet from Readings ex Technical Director 

Bitter ex employee…
    As far as i can make out online his issue at Reading was with their chief executive Ron Gourlay. Reading were actually doing well, made the play off final then got this new guy in that summer who wanted to take over recruitment and things went to shit. Tevreden resigned and blamed Gourlay, even went on a Reading fan podcast and was pretty vocal about it.

I can't see any reason why he'd have an issue with Roddy, never mind tweet about him 3 years after he left there.
  • Options
    I’m pissed off. Let’s be honest and say that every single one of us thought that we would be signing a squad of players to compete at the top of this league. That was what was promised if not in those exact words. Forget the nonsense about Premier League in five years or whatever was said. Every journey starts somewhere and we’ve started ours by not delivering anything like a top six league one team. Nowhere near. Now either Sandgaard is a fool or he thinks we might be. Much preferred him to be up front from day one but we got sold a load of old flannel. I suppose we desperately wanted to believe it. I’m beginning to think that there might still be legal wranglings going on over ownership that have not been resolved and TS can’t commit because of that ? In any case something doesn’t feel right to me. 
    But Sandgaard has spent money, probably a decent amount (for a L1 club) on DJ, Stockley and Kirk and new signings are being given multi-year deals. 
  • Options
    So are we worrying about Gallen being undermined unnecessarily?

It appears Avory is the one being taken for a bit of a ride.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I trust 'The Trust 'will get to the bottom of the Roddy son appointment and ask the right questions?

I'm amazed it's gone this long without creating a din.
  • Options
    The fact that kids, some of which have been with us since they were 6 years old have been bumped off in the summer and replaced by the new sporting directors son, who appears to have signed a pro contract! is starting to whiff quite a bit 
    Adkins is always banging on about ensuring the club have a path way to the first team for the kids. That’s all well and good, but if they are shit it doesn’t really help the us. Besides, looking at the woeful performances we are churning out at the moment, you really wouldn’t want a kid to be part of it - his confidence will be shot from the off. 
  • Options
    Ged Roddy, by 2 unlimited 

No, no,
    no, no, no, no, no,
    no, no, no, no, no
    No no, no Ged Roddy

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    The fact that kids, some of which have been with us since they were 6 years old have been bumped off in the summer and replaced by the new sporting directors son,  is starting to whiff quite a bit 
    Agreed. Its nepotism......but then on the other hand whatt about Miles Leaburn ? Is that the same case ? 
    That's quite different for a number of reasons

Firstly, @Tracey isn't a director so doesn't have that level of influence, if any, on recruitment decisions.

Secondly, Miles Leaburn was at Chelsea, one of the most successful academies in the country, until he was released aged 16.  He then had something like 24 clubs after him including the likes of Fulham, Leeds, Watford and Rangers.   He also joined as a scholar (he's in his second year now) not on a pro contract.

There are good reasons why Charlton would want to pick up any player released by Chelsea whoever his parents were.

Jacob Roddy is in a different situation so I don't think the comparison stands.

I don't think it reflects well on Ged Roddy but I don't blame the son for that.

I'm more concerned about the tweet from Cawley that says

"I think Adkins has said previously how it works. Roddy and recruitment team identify the players and then Gallen is involved in negotiating with clubs/players."

I hadn't heard that before and that wasn't how TS described the recruitment process a few months back.

Concerning if accurate (not that I doubt Cawley)

Roddy is the "new boy" & an unknown to fans so an obvious target for blame but this doesn't feel right to me at all.  Gallen is a proven recruiter and much more than just a negotiator.  Adkins also has a wealth of contacts.

The question that "Roddy and recruitment team" begs is who are the other people in Roddy's recruitment team and where did they work before?

Who are they, who appointed them and what makes them better qualified then Gallen and Adkins?
     Yes it's a little different and because Carl and Tracy Leaburn are club legends we will probably let it slide and rightly so.  TS has looked at Brentford with a Danish owner and coach and their 'moneyball' approach. Is that how we are operating ? Maybe the stats for Dobson and Clare stood out ? Do we have an analytics expert now at the club ? Not sure but not been impressed TBH. Early doors but not heading in right direction. 
  • Options
    Didn’t Leaburn come from Arsenal? Not even a comparison to roddy who has shoe horned his son in, zero doubt about that. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Didn’t Leaburn come from Arsenal? Not even a comparison to roddy who has shoe horned his son in, zero doubt about that. 
    Chelsea but yes, no comparison
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

Yes it's a little different and because Carl and Tracy Leaburn are club legends we will probably let it slide and rightly so.  TS has looked at Brentford with a Danish owner and coach and their 'moneyball' approach. Is that how we are operating ? Maybe the stats for Dobson and Clare stood out ? Do we have an analytics expert now at the club ? Not sure but not been impressed TBH. Early doors but not heading in right direction. 

Jumping in, remembered some mention of data analysis in an old interview from Adkins, tracked it down and:

Asked about the process of bringing in players, Adkins told the South London Press: “I like to be hands on but we have got a recruitment team here. Steve Gallen heads that up, Ged Roddy is in there – there is all the data analysis that goes on.

“There are attributes I’m looking for in the team. The guys are spending a lot of time researching the players who are out there. At the appropriate time we will sit down together and say ‘these are the players we can bring in, how do we go and do it?’ And I’ll be involved at that stage a bit more.”

Back in May here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-nigel-adkins-asked-about-transfer-window-recruitment-process/

• Options
    edited August 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    He came from Chelsea as mentioned by @Henry Irving
    Edited…… oops sorry late to this. 😉
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Bring back Phil Chapple. Seriously … he was the architect the last time we were successful under Chris Powell. Knows his onions 
    Pretty sure he’s at Fulham. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    The fact that kids, some of which have been with us since they were 6 years old have been bumped off in the summer and replaced by the new sporting directors son,  is starting to whiff quite a bit 
    Agreed. Its nepotism......but then on the other hand whatt about Miles Leaburn ? Is that the same case ? 
    That's quite different for a number of reasons

Firstly, @Tracey isn't a director so doesn't have that level of influence, if any, on recruitment decisions.

Secondly, Miles Leaburn was at Chelsea, one of the most successful academies in the country, until he was released aged 16.  He then had something like 24 clubs after him including the likes of Fulham, Leeds, Watford and Rangers.   He also joined as a scholar (he's in his second year now) not on a pro contract.

There are good reasons why Charlton would want to pick up any player released by Chelsea whoever his parents were.

Jacob Roddy is in a different situation so I don't think the comparison stands.

I don't think it reflects well on Ged Roddy but I don't blame the son for that.

I'm more concerned about the tweet from Cawley that says

"I think Adkins has said previously how it works. Roddy and recruitment team identify the players and then Gallen is involved in negotiating with clubs/players."

I hadn't heard that before and that wasn't how TS described the recruitment process a few months back.

Concerning if accurate (not that I doubt Cawley)

Roddy is the "new boy" & an unknown to fans so an obvious target for blame but this doesn't feel right to me at all.  Gallen is a proven recruiter and much more than just a negotiator.  Adkins also has a wealth of contacts.

The question that "Roddy and recruitment team" begs is who are the other people in Roddy's recruitment team and where did they work before?

Who are they, who appointed them and what makes them better qualified then Gallen and Adkins?
    I don't think its about letting it slide, it isn't an issue because of where Miles came from and how he joined.

We don't know about Jacob Roddy, who was I seem to remember reading was in Southampton's academy, but it's not surprising that people are speculating and seeing it as a negative.
  • Options
    Jacob Roddy hasn't been a total disaster on the field of play. Certainly no worse than plenty of other youth left-backs we've had. He clearly has ability, regardless of how much his move was smoothed by his dad's presence
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    After spending years at Chelseas’s academy he was released following g a bad injury.  He had around 20 clubs vying for his signature.  He chose Charlton because of personal reasons.

Trust me - he is there on merit
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    ct_addick said:
    After spending years at Chelseas’s academy he was released following g a bad injury.  He had around 20 clubs vying for his signature.  He chose Charlton because of personal reasons.

Trust me - he is there on merit
    And I’d expect Jacob to be there on merit too. I’m sure he is.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

Jumping in, remembered some mention of data analysis in an old interview from Adkins, tracked it down and:

Asked about the process of bringing in players, Adkins told the South London Press: “I like to be hands on but we have got a recruitment team here. Steve Gallen heads that up, Ged Roddy is in there – there is all the data analysis that goes on.

“There are attributes I’m looking for in the team. The guys are spending a lot of time researching the players who are out there. At the appropriate time we will sit down together and say ‘these are the players we can bring in, how do we go and do it?’ And I’ll be involved at that stage a bit more.”

Back in May here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-nigel-adkins-asked-about-transfer-window-recruitment-process/

From Gallen's interview on the OS after signing Clare

"We talk through all these things - myself, the manager, Ged Roddy [Technical Director] and the chairman. We’re all talking and giving our opinions, and we all decide whether to move for a player. We all agreed pretty quickly on Sean Clare, we were well aware of him."

Looks like the committee tried to build a horse and ended up with a camel.  As it stands.  There is still time to flatten the hump, just. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I do wonder if we are going a bit over the top with criticism at the moment?

I know we’re not great at the moment and I’m not defending whether we are or not.

But didn’t Peter Varney have his son at the club for a time, different times, same thing?

And yet in general terms PV is highly thought of by the fanbase.

Time will tell whether all this is right or not, Thomas isn’t daft, if he can see things are not working, I’m sure he’ll make changes in time.
  • Options
    I do wonder if we are going a bit over the top with criticism at the moment?

I know we’re not great at the moment and I’m not defending whether we are or not.

But didn’t Peter Varney have his son at the club for a time, different times, same thing?

And yet in general terms PV is highly thought of by the fanbase.

Time will tell whether all this is right or not, Thomas isn’t daft, if he can see things are not working, I’m sure he’ll make changes in time.
    I think Alex Varney was in the academy before Peter joined the club but those accusations will always be made.
  • Options
    edited August 2021