Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Won't Roddy have overall responsibility for it, if he is the defacto "football CEO" what ever his actual job title is. 
    Technical Director... It's there in the title of the thread. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Be surprised if Gallen is still here by the summer 

Did TS not say last week that he would be the sole director? Maybe I misunderstood and there's a load of fish that don't know where they're going.
    Something you know or just a feeling? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Won't Roddy have overall responsibility for it, if he is the defacto "football CEO" what ever his actual job title is. 
    Technical Director... It's there in the title of the thread. 
    What does that actually mean? 

Is he in charge of technology?  The technical aspects of playing?  The technical side of medical? recruitment? coaching? and he isn't a director! 

I would hazard a guess that he is actually Adkins, Gallen and Avery's boss.  What ever the organisation chart says. 
  • Options
    Recruitment is now a four person team.

SG, GR, NA and TS
  • Options

SG, GR, NA and TS
    Hmm....
  • Options

SG, GR, NA and TS
    straight from Thomas himself.
  • Options
    IndGreenWithEnvy said:

SG, GR, NA and TS
    straight from Thomas himself.
    Indeed
  • Options

SG, GR, NA and TS
    Hmm....
    In the "glory days" wasn't it Curbs, Peacock and Murray?    The Powell summer was him, Chappel and Varny.  The problem with Roland was he sub contracted the job to someone who thought they knew more than the professionals.

Of course a non football person has to sign off the expenses, or veto them.  Quite frankly it would be bonkers if it was any other way. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

SG, GR, NA and TS
    Hmm....
    In the "glory days" wasn't it Curbs, Peacock and Murray?    The Powell summer was him, Chappel and Varny.  The problem with Roland was he sub contracted the job to someone who thought they knew more than the professionals.

Of course a non football person has to sign off the expenses, or veto them.  Quite frankly it would be bonkers if it was any other way. 
    Agreed but that should be his only job. 

Signings like Schwartz shows that maybe he's having a little bit too much say in things. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs but I doubt Gallen is someone that had Schwartz on his radar before Thomas brought his name up. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

SG, GR, NA and TS
    Hmm....

Signings like Schwartz shows that maybe he's having a little bit too much say in things. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs but I doubt Gallen is someone that had Schwartz on his radar before Thomas brought his name up. 
    It's been said before that he was on Gallen's radar in the summer, before Sandgaard rocked up. That's good enough for me right now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Be surprised if Gallen is still here by the summer 
    Why?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

SG, GR, NA and TS
    Hmm....

It's been said before that he was on Gallen's radar in the summer, before Sandgaard rocked up. That's good enough for me right now. 
    Not the case.
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

SG, GR, NA and TS
    Hmm....

TS is friends with the Brentford owner and has said he wants to copy their model of operation. The Brentford owner also owns FC Midtjylland in Denmark, Ronnie's old team. They would've scouted Ronnie and done the research etc. on him before their purchase (to get them over the line and win the league). In discussion with TS of "what do you need mate? How can we help?", Bowyer at that point would've said "we need someone who can finish" and Brentford bloke probably said "I have just the player for you at my other club." Midtjylland had two new expensive strikers who were playing so that's why Ronnie was not playing.

The way TS has shown how he works, I don't think he just decided to chuck a load of money at a player because he happened to be Danish. It seems logical he would utilise his contacts and take the advice (and scouting data) of someone who has demonstrated previous success in this 'new arena' for him. Namely, the Brentford owner who has a team winning the league and playing in Europe and another moving closer to promotion to the top level in this country. 
    Taken advice from a man that was set to financially benefit from offloading Schwartz onto us? 

I think Sandgaard should have been smarter than that. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

SG, GR, NA and TS
    Hmm....

The thing is no one will ever tell 100% of the truth, in public, especially why everyone involved is still at the club.  I actually respected Bowyer for saying he signed Maddison, against advice, although I didn't believe him. 

It could come out that Gallen told Bowyer or Robinson not to sign x y or z and they did, or told them to sign A B or C and they said no.  There are very, very, few transfers that are ever down to just one person's call.

People suggesting a Powell style summer forget that almost all of the, successful, players he signed that summer he had either played with, or against, in recent seasons.   That was a massive advantage and certainly got us Morrison and Yann.

If you believe Schwartz was on Gallen's radar AND believe he had never heard of Ellis Simms your forgetting the audience and motivation. 
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

SG, GR, NA and TS
    Hmm....

TS is friends with the Brentford owner and has said he wants to copy their model of operation. The Brentford owner also owns FC Midtjylland in Denmark, Ronnie's old team. They would've scouted Ronnie and done the research etc. on him before their purchase (to get them over the line and win the league). In discussion with TS of "what do you need mate? How can we help?", Bowyer at that point would've said "we need someone who can finish" and Brentford bloke probably said "I have just the player for you at my other club." Midtjylland had two new expensive strikers who were playing so that's why Ronnie was not playing.

The way TS has shown how he works, I don't think he just decided to chuck a load of money at a player because he happened to be Danish. It seems logical he would utilise his contacts and take the advice (and scouting data) of someone who has demonstrated previous success in this 'new arena' for him. Namely, the Brentford owner who has a team winning the league and playing in Europe and another moving closer to promotion to the top level in this country. 
    Taken advice from a man that was set to financially benefit from offloading Schwartz onto us? 

I think Sandgaard should have been smarter than that. 
    Don't think squeezing him under the wage cap would financially benefit him that much!!

However, possibly utilising a much better and well funded scouting network would've been smart! 
  • Options
    Still don't get the many gripes about GR. We all want the club to progress and he was brought in to do that job. There will be some unpopular decisions made during this process 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I think looking up the job description of a technical director would be useful. Roddy's role seems to be getting blown all out of proportion.
  • Options
    Job descriptions mean nothing
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cafc999 said:
    It means more than people on forums making up what he does or doesn't do. We supposedly have the only technical director in English football who runs the whole show.

Does Nicky Butt run Man Utd... Does Petr Cech run Chelsea... Does Michael Edwards run Liverpool... Or any TD, at any club, anywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:
    It means more than people on forums making up what he does or doesn't do. We supposedly have the only technical director in English football who runs the whole show.

Does Nicky Butt run Man Utd... Does Petr Cech run Chelsea... Does Michael Edwards run Liverpool... Or any TD, at any club, anywhere.
    GR has been given a job remit by TS and will be carrying out that task the same way Nicky Butt, Petr Cech and all the TD's do. Each club is different and run different. That remit may be to look at the general running of the club from top to bottom, equally it may not. Not all TD roles ware the same and comparing a L1 club to a prem club is wide of the mark
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Chunes said:
    cafc999 said:

I wouldn't say that it goes as far as Roddy running the whole show, but he's certainly going to have a lot more influence overall at a smaller club in league one than the names you've mentioned will have at global footballing giants.
  • Options
    Yet Roddy isn't even on the board
  • Options
    Yet Roddy isn't even on the board
    We don't have a board, in the traditional sense, though do we?  We have multiple people, including Roddy, with the title "director" who are not directors.

There is also no one size fits all job discription for any role in football, with many roles interchangeable such as Chairman, CEO, owner some clubs have 1 person, some have 3, or more. 

I don't think anyone expects fully detailed job descriptions, reporting lines and organisation charts published but without them there will always be speculation, rumour and innuendo as who holds the power.  Even with them it's unlikely, however unconsciously, that all opinions/advice carry the same weight. 

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Chunes said:
    I think looking up the job description of a technical director would be useful. Roddy's role seems to be getting blown all out of proportion.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=job+description+of+football+technical+director&sxsrf=ALeKk027QzMZPclaYBItnVw0-YZllxpLdA:1618522415859&ei=L7F4YLGGNOHUxgOq9oqICA&oq=job+description+of+a+technical+director+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYBTIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB46BwguEEMQkwI6AggAOgQIABBDOgcILhAnEJMCOgUILhCxAzoCCC46CgguEOoCECcQkwI6BwgjEOoCECc6BwguEOoCECdQi-rjE1iR-uMTYKyt5BNoAXAAeAGAAeIBiAGQBpIBBTAuNC4xmAEAoAEBsAEPwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

That tells you everything you want to know.  The role can mean what ever you want it to mean.

The FA's take is

The role of a technical director is dynamic and multi-dimensional with the ultimate aim of continued success through the creation of a high performance culture supported by an aligned vision and strategy.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

SG, GR, NA and TS
    Hmm....

No I don't think he was on Gallen's radar. Thomas suggested him and I believe Gallen took a look and agreed to take the punt. Personally I'm fine with Sandgaard finding the odd player and suggesting them to Gallen/Adkins. As long as if either feel the player isn't the right fit then that is the end of it. I would have accepted if Roland had done that because no doubt we made some decent signings, but it was forcing them on the manager that was the issue, with the pressure to play on top. 
    Fair play I misunderstood. 
  • Options
    I think and may be wrong, that Roddy is being used to improve the club infrastructure in order to work towards CAT1 Academy. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think and may be wrong, that Roddy is being used to improve the club infrastructure in order to work towards CAT1 Academy. 
    That's certainly something I seem to remember being mentioned, as well as working on ways to improve the success rate of the academy graduates etc, such as trying to make sure the style/culture is consistent with all the ages and the first team too.