Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Options
    Pico said:
    This is what Steve Avory said last week about Ged Roddy at the CAST Q&A:

Could you explain the role of Ged Roddy, and how his work fits in with yours and Nigel Adkins’?

Steve: “We hear about this job title of Technical Director and a lot of people might have thought that Ged would be focusing exclusively on the academy but he’s been tasked by Thomas with taking the club forward under the ‘one club’ model. The dialogue I’ve had with him thus far, and his interest in the youth academy, has been really positive. Ged has a responsibility that covers the first team, the academy and the women’s team, and it’s taking all departments of the club forward in structure, strategy, organisation and resource – sports science and medicine, recruitment and education. If we can achieve a “seamless alignment” all the way through the club it would be a real positive, the first steps are taking shape ”

So we're becoming a Barcelona type club? 

Expect a hockey team ✅
    a futsal side 
    a hand ball side
    a basketball side
    a women's team ✅
    a B team
    and a successful academy ✅
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I think looking up the job description of a technical director would be useful. Roddy's role seems to be getting blown all out of proportion.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=job+description+of+football+technical+director&sxsrf=ALeKk027QzMZPclaYBItnVw0-YZllxpLdA:1618522415859&ei=L7F4YLGGNOHUxgOq9oqICA&oq=job+description+of+a+technical+director+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYBTIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB46BwguEEMQkwI6AggAOgQIABBDOgcILhAnEJMCOgUILhCxAzoCCC46CgguEOoCECcQkwI6BwgjEOoCECc6BwguEOoCECdQi-rjE1iR-uMTYKyt5BNoAXAAeAGAAeIBiAGQBpIBBTAuNC4xmAEAoAEBsAEPwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

That tells you everything you want to know.  The role can mean what ever you want it to mean.

The FA's take is

The role of a technical director is dynamic and multi-dimensional with the ultimate aim of continued success through the creation of a high performance culture supported by an aligned vision and strategy.

Ha! The FA invents its very own version of wank word bingo!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Pico said:

Could you explain the role of Ged Roddy, and how his work fits in with yours and Nigel Adkins’?

Steve: “We hear about this job title of Technical Director and a lot of people might have thought that Ged would be focusing exclusively on the academy but he’s been tasked by Thomas with taking the club forward under the ‘one club’ model. The dialogue I’ve had with him thus far, and his interest in the youth academy, has been really positive. Ged has a responsibility that covers the first team, the academy and the women’s team, and it’s taking all departments of the club forward in structure, strategy, organisation and resource – sports science and medicine, recruitment and education. If we can achieve a “seamless alignment” all the way through the club it would be a real positive, the first steps are taking shape ”

Expect a hockey team ✅
    a futsal side 
    a hand ball side
    a basketball side
    a women's team ✅
    a B team
    Spot on,  Charlton, the Barcelona of England.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Pico said:

Expect a hockey team ✅
    a futsal side 
    a hand ball side
    a basketball side
    a women's team ✅
    a B team
    Spot on,  Charlton, the Barcelona of England.
    Barcelona, the Charlton of Spain
  • Options
    So what exactly does this man offer? 
  • Options

Ged Roddy's role at our club is basically everything including the women's team #cafc pic.twitter.com/E6NrUjCI8J

— 19CAFC05 (@19CAFC05) August 18, 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Gallen also in the recruitment team?
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Interesting tweet from Readings ex Technical Director 

Looks like we've got a bad egg here. Let's hope TS isn't taken for a fool any longer. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    To come at this from the other perspective....."So what exactly is people's problem with Ged"

I see a lot of negativity aimed at him but I fail to see why there is  so much animosity aimed at him and why he is suddenly the target for the boo boys?   Admittedly the transfer window isn't going how we wanted it to but I am not sure the issue is Roddy
    I think he is part of it but not necessarily him as a person but his role. It's changed the dynamic for Gallen and not for the better, but I don't think this is specific to Roddy, whoever got the job it would have caused issues. I also very much doubt that he intended Roddy Jr. to be the answer at LB either. 

Pointing the finger at any one person is just finding a scapegoat. Yes he's probably part of it but probably so is Sandgaard and maybe Gallen's magic touch isn't working in a Covid world either. You could also argue Adkins' insistence on a pretty rigid formation isn't helping either.

I don't think it's a case of "Get riddy of Roddy" and things magically improve.

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    To come at this from the other perspective....."So what exactly is people's problem with Ged"

I see a lot of negativity aimed at him but I fail to see why there is  so much animosity aimed at him and why he is suddenly the target for the boo boys?   Admittedly the transfer window isn't going how we wanted it to but I am not sure the issue is Roddy
    Agreed.

I think it’s a case where people don’t understand his role, for whatever reason, and therefore just instantly see him as a negative influence.
  • Options
    Can anyone clarify if it's been mentioned who recommended Roddy to Thomas. Thomas has literally come into the world of English football from nowhere. What real due diligence has been done? 
  • Options
    Roddy's son was his main reference by the look of it.

As Marcellus said, "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" 
  • Options
    It's slightly unfair to target Roddy, as we don't know exactly what his role is, and he may be doing good work with say the women's team. However, it doesn't seem to have benefited recruitment on the men's side.

And anyway, we needed a Varney style CEO more, as shown by the number of niggling off the field issues still affecting the match day experience (ticketing, the misleading membership offers, inaudible PA speakers etc)
  • Options
    Roddy has been here a year almost and the recruitment has been awful 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Deleted his Twitter account
  • Options
    As I'm normally one of the positive types on here even for me this is all looking a bit fishy. His actual role at the club has never been clear and if true that he is selecting the players that Gallen needs to target I cant see that working. If it is true I cant see Gallen sticking around long
  • Options
    Bring back Phil Chapple. Seriously … he was the architect the last time we were successful under Chris Powell. Knows his onions 
  • Options
    Who has?
  • Options
    Seems this clown is nicking living, even got his kid a contract. Just sack him off. 
  • Options
    Prob not even him, i suspect a twitter troll...