Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Darren Bent

On Talksport now. Some good stories from his playing days at Charlton. 

Comments

• I thought you were going to say he could do a job for us...
  • .....or Bent is the hush-hush loan striker that Bow has been chasing?

• I thought you were going to say he could do a job for us...
    Coaching the forwards would be a good job! His dedication is interesting to hear. 
  • ross1 said:
    He said Curbs was the best manager he played under
    To be fair he played under some right arseholes A.C. (After Charlton).
  • Would he ever come back here in a coaching role? I can think of one or two of our youngsters who could do worse than mould their game's on his.
  • We'd have stayed up that season if he didn't get injured. Class player for us
  • edited October 2020
    He said he tried to model his game on Ian Wright, who was his hero and after watching him, he become an Arsenal fan. As he was born in Tooting, I am pleased he started at Ipswich and not his nearest club  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• I recall Redknapp saying his wife could have scored a chance Bent missed. Proof what a crap manager he was IMO. I have never liked the bloke since then, even if the public seem to love him.

My son won a junior reds competition and met the players at the training ground and his favourite was Darren. He was chosen to be a mascot in the home game against Sheffield United when he was six (1-1) and he led the teams out with Darren. It was shown on the introduction on MOTD and we still have the tape, but not the recorder to play it on! He is a genuinely nice bloke and was a great player for us.
    Muttley, I may be able to help you out on that score, although I need to do some faffing about with cables and testing first.
  • I recall Redknapp saying his wife could have scored a chance Bent missed. Proof what a crap manager he was IMO. I have never liked the bloke since then, even if the public seem to love him.

My son won a junior reds competition and met the players at the training ground and his favourite was Darren. He was chosen to be a mascot in the home game against Sheffield United when he was six (1-1) and he led the teams out with Darren. It was shown on the introduction on MOTD and we still have the tape, but not the recorder to play it on! He is a genuinely nice bloke and was a great player for us.
    Maybe it's worth getting the tape converted professionally?
  • ross1 said:
    He said he tried to model his game on Ian Wright, who was his hero and after watching him, he become an Arsenal fan. As he was born in Tooting, I am pleased he started at Ipswich and not his nearest club  :)
    Fulham? Power to the people.
  • ross1 said:
    Fulham? Power to the people.
    I thought would say this  :)
  • edited October 2020
    Great player for us, like him as a pundit as well. 
  • His mum used to love watching him play for us didn't she?
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember when we signed him and moaning to my son "why are we signing Darren Bent he's crap". 
    Just shows how wrong you can be when judging a new player.
    Since then anyone we sign I try to give them a chance to show what they can do for Charlton.

Before slagging them off.  ;)
    I wanted to like and lol this post at the same time. :smile:
  • I remember when we signed him and moaning to my son "why are we signing Darren Bent he's crap". 
    Just shows how wrong you can be when judging a new player.
    Since then anyone we sign I try to give them a chance to show what they can do for Charlton.

Before slagging them off.  ;)

I am surprised you say that, I thought he was a great signing for us, always rated him at Ipswich and loved him at Charlton.
  • I remember seeing Bent on the box for Ipswich as a young player. 

He chased about a bit, but hardly saw the ball. Looked a bit lost really.

Then the Ipswich winger broke away down the left and crossed low across the box. And there was Darren Bent steaming in at the far post to bury the chance.

As I say, he chased about a bit, but hardly saw the ball. Except for that sprint to the far post.
    That's what you pay your money for.

• If he’s fit sign him up. I reckon he would like to prove himself one more time...... 
  • edited October 2020
    The interview on Talksport was really good. Comes across as a very humble guy that wanted to be the best he could be. Talked about breaking into the training ground at night with Darren Ambrose. The two would leave a ball in the bushes during the day session and collect it later to do some extra training. Also spoke very fondly of a landlady he had whilst playing for Charlton. Only with Charlton a year but very well thought of....and he knows it....and gets us. Us. Quality right through. 
  • Isn't the £16m we got for him still a Charlton record?  
  • edited October 2020
    Credit to Curbs but every Charlton player knew where to put the ball for Bent and the defender marking him was grateful if he was wearing dark shorts. Bent was the master of playing off the shoulder.

It would have been a massive factor for the national team if it was possible to see beyond what team he played for. Same with Rufus as a man to man marker.