Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    He said he tried to model his game on Ian Wright, who was his hero and after watching him, he become an Arsenal fan. As he was born in Tooting, I am pleased he started at Ipswich and not his nearest club  :)
    Fulham? Power to the people.
    Surely Wimbeldon, Plough Lane virtually runs into Tooting.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Will never forgive Sven Goran Erikssen for not picking him for the 2006 World Cup squad when he was the top English goal scorer in EPL.
    I am sure Sven is losing sleep on his bed of money...... :D
  • Options
    Bent said when Curbs bought him, he thought he would be back up to Bartlett and Johansson, but was told "You're going straight in" as part of a 4-5-1. He'd never played as a lone forward, but did as he was told. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Will never forgive Sven Goran Erikssen for not picking him for the 2006 World Cup squad when he was the top English goal scorer in EPL.
    Theo Walcott was a much better option 🙄
  • Options
    He was unstoppable for us in that lone striker role.  Lots of pressure on him and he always delivered.

Think he was far better than he ever got credit for after he left us.

Loved him as a player and comes across as a good bloke.
    Completely agree. In fact I would go as far as to say he is probably the best out and out striker we've had since ..... well, maybe ever. 

Now there's a bold statement. Not necessarily the biggest favourite ever, but I'm struggling to think of anyone we've had who was far and away better.
  • Options
    Surely Eddie Firmani was, going on his numbers 
    but I love Darren Bent Bent Bent 
  • Options
    Loved him 

Always had a goal in us when he played for us, worked his nuts off every game and was such an economical finisher 

Wish we played with Ambrose behind him or at least gave it a go 
  • Options
    You knew when he was 1v1 he was always going to score. His goal against Birmingham is one of my all time favourites, as is his against Chelsea in the league cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A great player for us and pleased to see him doing well as a pundit. Listened to his interview yesterday and he came across well.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I remember seeing DB play in a preseason friendly at the valley (can’t remember who against?) he scored 2 goals I think it was his first game?

He was so quick at the time he glided over the pitch like a thoroughbred,I think he got 19 goals for us that season, you could see he was going to be something special.

I know he does quite a bit of punditry these days, but would love to see him doing coaching on finishing and composure with our players.
  • Options
    Without looking it up, I think it was Feyenoord, for whom a young Dirk Kuyt did f-all. I was there! 
  • Options
    He was so good as the lone striker at getting between the centre backs. He had great control, super pace and was a great finisher. One of my faves ever too.
  • Options
    The nice thing about Darren Bent is that he will often say good things about us in his interviews. And he's tweeted lots of supportive messages recently. 

Compare that to the likes of Parker and Lee who always seem to airbrush out of history that they played for us. 
  • Options
    I don't think we've had a better one on one striker in all my years as a CAFC fan. And he made the space with his late runs to get plenty such opportunities.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Parker you can understand, he didn't leave on the best of terms. Lee is a bit more difficult because he did, and arguably helped us make that final push to the Valley, but they don't badmouth us really do they? I think the sad thing is, Curbs was the right manager for Bent and the club at the time was the right club. It is sad because Curbs left and everything fell off after that. 

Bent was always a more than decent striker, but when he was in a situation where he was 'the striker' he was something special. Sometimes when we are critical of players, we forget other factors like whether the team is playing to their strengths. With Bent, Curbs identified the strength and devised a strategy around it. That Curbs hasn't had a career beyond us is very sad too. He was a great manager.
  • Options
    Back him to be top goal scorer at 100/1 the season he was with us, £25e/w. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    He was so good as the lone striker at getting between the centre backs. He had great control, super pace and was a great finisher. One of my faves ever too.
    He mentioned how he would keep working away at breaking through. He said he'd have half a dozen attempts at getting through and be off-side but given enough chances he'd take one or more. He said with VAR he probably would have had half if his goals chalked off 

He was super confident that he would get a goal. If his team scored 5-0 he'd be happy, but if he wasn't on rhe score sheet himself, he'd walk off gutted. He wanted to be the complete striker, the best in every facet of his game. 

Surely someone with that level of commitment to the game should be in coaching.
  • Options
    Since supporting CAFC since 1986 my 2 best strikers are DB and Mendonca. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I go back to 93 and I have always thought that the only really good strikers in that time have been Clive, Hunt, DB and Yann.  That guy with pink hair maybe.  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    I go back to 93 and I have always thought that the only really good strikers in that time have been Clive, Hunt, DB and Yann.  That guy with pink hair maybe.  
    Same timeframe as me and I agree, although Bradley Wright-Phillips was great for 18 months. Not as good as the others though.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgNuF-e6e2E

One of my favourite goals by him - our last game in the top level.
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgNuF-e6e2E

One of my favourite goals by him - our last game in the top level.
    We played so well in that game... If we had done that well the game before at the Valley vs Spurs, we would have probably survived.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    ct_addick said:
    And chose f***ing Theo Walcott, who did nothing.  
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    In fact, I do not think he was ever picked to play
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    ct_addick said:
    In fact, I do not think he was ever picked to play
    No he wasnt
  • Options
    drewman said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Same timeframe as me and I agree, although Bradley Wright-Phillips was great for 18 months. Not as good as the others though.
    Nice finisher and a good league one player 
  • Options
    Not convinced he was better than Shaun.