Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Bent

Comments

• Options
    Particularly in his first season for us, Bent was our Ian Wright of Arsenal.  
    The ball played over the defence for Bent to run on to, what a player.
    He's put on some timber now so don't think he'll be so fast.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    He said he tried to model his game on Ian Wright, who was his hero and after watching him, he become an Arsenal fan. As he was born in Tooting, I am pleased he started at Ipswich and not his nearest club  :)
    And what is wrong with playing for Tooting and Mitcham?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I remember when we signed him and moaning to my son "why are we signing Darren Bent he's crap". 
    Just shows how wrong you can be when judging a new player.
    Since then anyone we sign I try to give them a chance to show what they can do for Charlton.

Before slagging them off.  ;)

I am surprised you say that, I thought he was a great signing for us, always rated him at Ipswich and loved him at Charlton.
    I wondered why Curbishley was making such a fuss about getting him, then he buried the first chance he got against Feyernoord and it was obvious.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Bent was our best ever striker imo. The level of football we were playing at and how effective he was were at the highest in our history, he was devastating and in today's football a player like him would have been worth £50/60m
    Or half-a-crown if sold by Roland.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Leuth said:
    Without looking it up, I think it was Feyenoord, for whom a young Dirk Kuyt did f-all. I was there! 
    Yes, it was.  There was all the talk at the time about Liverpool for being in for Kuyt and I on the basis of that performance I thought it would be waste of money.
  • Options
    Is there any decent complications of his goals for us? Surprised the OS has never done one?
  • Options
    Is there any decent complications of his goals for us? Surprised the OS has never done one?
    yes, there weren't enough to keep us up.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Yep Darren Bent's fault we were relegated as he failed to score Vs Spurs.

And cut his hand chopping onions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Particularly in his first season for us, Bent was our Ian Wright of Arsenal.  
    The ball played over the defence for Bent to run on to, what a player.
    He's put on some timber now so don't think he'll be so fast.
    Remember his goal against Birmingham? Melchiot (I think) has about a 10 yard head start but Bent left for dead and then leathered the ball past the keeper. Great goal.

first goal on here (shit video quality)
    https://youtu.be/JktGvreSsiI
  • Options
    Maybe they didn’t do one because it’s a bit complicated.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yep Darren Bent's fault we were relegated as he failed to score Vs Spurs.

And cut his hand chopping onions.
    Do we not have a 'stupid injury' thread? That one goes on there along with Mark Fish's glass table incident
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    https://youtu.be/JktGvreSsiI

The quality of the goals is better than the quality of video.
  • Options
    The interview on Talksport was really good. Comes across as a very humble guy that wanted to be the best he could be. Talked about breaking into the training ground at night with Darren Ambrose. The two would leave a ball in the bushes during the day session and collect it later to do some extra training. Also spoke very fondly of a landlady he had whilst playing for Charlton. Only with Charlton a year but very well thought of....and he knows it....and gets us. Us. Quality right through. 
    The interview was repeated on Talksport earlier this morning, for those that missed or want to hear it again
    part 1

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1604880000/1604894400/

part 2

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1604880000/1604896200/
  • Options
    He was unstoppable for us in that lone striker role.  Lots of pressure on him and he always delivered.

Think he was far better than he ever got credit for after he left us.

Loved him as a player and comes across as a good bloke.
    Never let us down. That penalty vs Wigan in the last minute at 0-0 in a relegation 6 pointer always sticks in my mind as a testament to his ability under pressure. Shameful that we got relegated with a weapon like him in the side. 

His “route one” goal vs Birmingham is still on of my favourite Charlton goals. He made it look like Melchiot was running backwards the way he gave him a head start but still just steamed past him, and then wallop - top corner.

As others have said, there was more to him than just goals, and he was a striker who could play the lone striker role well. Was definitely a bit underrated by some of his other clubs. He’d be worth a fortune these days (was then to be fair too) being able to lead the line like he did. 
    One of the rare home games I missed back then as it was my wedding day.
    Oldest excuse in the book!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    He was unstoppable for us in that lone striker role.  Lots of pressure on him and he always delivered.

Think he was far better than he ever got credit for after he left us.

Loved him as a player and comes across as a good bloke.
    His “route one” goal vs Birmingham is still on of my favourite Charlton goals. He made it look like Melchiot was running backwards the way he gave him a head start but still just steamed past him, and then wallop - top corner.
    My favourite goal too. Still amazed to this day... In his second season at Spurs he was their top scorer and was still attacked for not being league top scorer!
  • Options
    Not that i love darren or anything but he genuinly is top 4 presenters on talksport. Really good 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great striker for us, one of the very best, BUT looking at the above video, I reckon nowadays VAR would disallow half of those goals for offside
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Stefco said:
    ross1 said:
    ct_addick said:
    Will never forgive Sven Goran Erikssen for not picking him for the 2006 World Cup squad when he was the top English goal scorer in EPL.
    And chose f***ing Theo Walcott, who did nothing.  
    In fact, I do not think he was ever picked to play
    No he wasnt
    I read an article recently that said when Walcott had his first training sessions at the world cup, Sven & the coaches realised that they fecked up, because he was so out of his depth. 

It was Wenger who got in Svens ear about taking him, so I blame him for part of it. That, & taking a clearly unfit Owen, who immediately got injured.

A damn shame Benty never got the chance to go! Grrrr!
    It should have been Bent, Defoe or given Rooney was only half fit and Owen carrying a slight knock, both.

Going in with Rooney half fit and Walcott as an untried 17 year old was so daft, basically left Crouch and a not completely fit Owen.

• Options
    Great striker for us, one of the very best, BUT looking at the above video, I reckon nowadays VAR would disallow half of those goals for offside

F*** VAR
  • Options
    Met the man after the Spurs game... Where he missed his hatrick chance and then we crumbled from 2 up... 

Brilliant striker loved him, and he loves us.
  • Options
    clive said:
    The interview on Talksport was really good. Comes across as a very humble guy that wanted to be the best he could be. Talked about breaking into the training ground at night with Darren Ambrose. The two would leave a ball in the bushes during the day session and collect it later to do some extra training. Also spoke very fondly of a landlady he had whilst playing for Charlton. Only with Charlton a year but very well thought of....and he knows it....and gets us. Us. Quality right through. 
    The interview was repeated on Talksport earlier this morning, for those that missed or want to hear it again
    part 1

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1604880000/1604894400/

part 2

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1604880000/1604896200/
    Great to listen to , his sheer enthusiasm is uplifting ... good lad 

• Options
    To celebrate 16 years since Darren Bent became an Addick, supporters can watch all of his goals for free on CharltonTV!
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60b5ec8390b0d/watch-free-all-of-darren-bents-charlton-goals
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Made Mario Melchiot look as though he had the 2 Bobs and was clenching to hold a turtle head in as he breezed past him to put us 2-0 up.
  • Options
    Made Mario Melchiot look as though he has the 2 Bobs and was clenching to hold a turtle head in as he breezed past him to put us 2-0 up.
    Seen a lot of incredible goals live over the years, but that remains one of my favourites. 
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    Met the man after the Spurs game... Where he missed his hatrick chance and then we crumbled from 2 up... 

Brilliant striker loved him, and he loves us.
    Didn't they stick Gary Doherty up front in that game in desperation? It worked cos I seem too remember us making him look like Pele.