Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    The "Big" 6 - we play to many games and it's burning out players

The "Big" 6 - I know, lets form a new 20 team mid week league and still play in all the other competitions 
    With no relegation and fans not giving a shit about the super league, will clubs even care?

Can just play your reserves or kids as they'll ultimately just be glorified friendlies. 
  • Options
    Support Spurs or Arsenal and never win anything again. What a prospect.
    I cant see us winning a single game let alone a bloody trophy!
  • Options
    Aren’t the balance sheets and P&Ls of a couple of those clubs used to underpin investments in the US ? It would be interesting to see if being kicked out of the PL and the European competitions and losing that cash flow will cause a bit of a wobble on the other side of the Atlantic 
  • Options
    Wonder what Thomas is making of all this, be interested to hear his views and how it affects things going forward.

Like others I think the mighty 6 should be expelled from all competitions, banned from all contact with other clubs, officials etc, would like there past glories deleted from the history books (yes fanciful and won’t happen). With that much money sloshing about then a crowd boycott won’t work as they will just give the tickets away to any twit passing just before kick off. 

We need all the leagues and governing bodies to grow some and stand together to defeat and crush this greedy people, if they decide not to continue, then accept them back on the basis that money is spread more evenly throughout the football structure and.......... oh yes, it’s the FA, EPL, UEFA etc that won’t happen will it?

• Options
    Wonder what Thomas is making of all this, be interested to hear his views and how it affects things going forward.

Like others I think the mighty 6 should be expelled from all competitions, banned from all contact with other clubs, officials etc, would like there past glories deleted from the history books (yes fanciful and won’t happen). With that much money sloshing about then a crowd boycott won’t work as they will just give the tickets away to any twit passing just before kick off. 

We need all the leagues and governing bodies to grow some and stand together to defeat and crush this greedy people, if they decide not to continue, then accept them back on the basis that money is spread more evenly throughout the football structure and.......... oh yes, it’s the FA, EPL, UEFA etc that won’t happen will it?

I suspect if you are the owner of a ‘not super 6’ club you are potentially about to see the start of a financially more rosey time, one way or another.
  • Options
    Aren’t the balance sheets and P&Ls of a couple of those clubs used to underpin investments in the US ? It would be interesting to see if being kicked out of the PL and the European competitions and losing that cash flow will cause a bit of a wobble on the other side of the Atlantic 
    They won't be losing anything.

They'll be guaranteed (at least initially) around 300m a season just for playing in this super league. More than 3 times what you'd get for actually winning the Champions league.............a competition of course that some of these clubs aren't even in.
  • Options
    Aren’t these clubs remaining in their domestic leagues and just playing in a different midweek continental tournament?

I think it’s a bit of a dick move, and the “no relegation” thing is a bit rubbish, but I don’t have quite the same levels of outrage that others seem to have. It’s just swapping one money making construct for another.  
  • Options

I suspect if you are the owner of a ‘not super 6’ club you are potentially about to see the start of a financially more rosey time, one way or another.
    That was my concern.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    se9addick said:
    This seems to happen every few years and normally the clubs in question will be given a bigger share of the existing pie and talk of a Super League is quietly dropped until the next time. 
    That was my immediate thought.

I think the leak and the very negative reaction may see a few of the clubs denying their involvement very soon.

As for American owners, thankfully Charlton don't have one😂

And for all the " let them sod off and leave the rest of the clubs go back to a more level playing field" it will be a poorer, financially, league and many new owners of lower EPL and of EFL clubs who bought them to eventually play with the big boys in the premier league may rethink their business plans and decide they don't want to own an English club anymore.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Support Spurs or Arsenal and never win anything again. What a prospect.
    I cant see us winning a single game let alone a bloody trophy!
    Look at the positives. It's just another step in your journey to becoming a fully transformed and signed up Charlton Athletic fan, JohnBoy.  ;)
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    A bunch of rich institutions fighting each other about money while the fans get mugged off. 

None of them are the good guy even if they are on our side, it's not for the right reasons, it's about money, it's always about money.
    Sort of like having Stalin on our side after 1940
  • Options
    Not sure this is comparable to the formation of the Premiership. 

Sky invested a lot (for that time) to show the clubs were underpaid for their product, and most importantly they maintained the integrity of promotion/relegation - anyone can get there or lose their place.  

As it stands these clubs are basically just resigning from the champions league/ europa cup to play in their own money making cash cow. 
    However this is practically a closed shop and there is no way UEFA can have their own champions league running alongside this. 
    TV companies won’t pay the riches for a second tier champions league. 

The only option I see is to ban players of these clubs from international football 
    this is not a restraint of trade, these are private competitions and they can set their own qualifying criteria. One of which can easily be players must only play in UEFA sanctioned competitions to be selected by their FA. 

• Options

They'll be guaranteed (at least initially) around 300m a season just for playing in this super league. More than 3 times what you'd get for actually winning the Champions league.............a competition of course that some of these clubs aren't even in.
    Day one. The PL and European cash cows are cut off so who is going to put up the £300 million for each of those clubs and where are they going to get it from ? I suspect those clubs may well be going to be looking for fans to pay per view. Well, they won’t have a bigger pool of away fans buying the games because the super league has less teams; selling it to fans in Africa and Asia ? I can’t see the subscription price being that high to generate the revenue numbers needed. I suspect they could also piss off a lot of their grass roots fans so they could lose those as potential subscribers.  They may have already found a group of investment banks to package up the future income and issue a bond for them though it’ll be interesting to see the market reaction to that.
  • Options
    How long is the current TV deal with Sky and BT for the Premier League rights? 

Will be interesting to see what happens then

And if the money does dry up, guaranteed that the season after will be the season we finally return to the top tier

• Options
    Slightly different slant.
    How long have Man City been one of “ Big 6”?
    what about Newcastle, Villa, Leeds , Huddersfield, Portsmouth, Wolves. They were big clubs.
    oh sorry big club is owned by mega money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I participating players are banned from international football will they be able to sue for restraint of trade when they only get an appearance fee and not wages for representing their national teams?
  • Options

Day one. The PL and European cash cows are cut off so who is going to put up the £300 million for each of those clubs and where are they going to get it from ? I suspect those clubs may well be going to be looking for fans to pay per view. Well, they won’t have a bigger pool of away fans buying the games because the super league has less teams; selling it to fans in Africa and Asia ? I can’t see the subscription price being that high to generate the revenue numbers needed. I suspect they could also piss off a lot of their grass roots fans so they could lose those as potential subscribers.  They may have already found a group of investment banks to package up the future income and issue a bond for them though it’ll be interesting to see the market reaction to that.
    I'd guess that everything you've mentioned has already been discussed and the investment is already there. 

Perez is allegedly pushing clubs to get this started as soon as August. They haven't come this far without financial backing already in place.
  • Options
    JP Morgan are funding it
  • Options

Why would the PL cut anyone off? Surely if you are the Premier League you don’t want to rock the boat too much, as things stand your competition isn’t directly impacted (aside from who is selected for European qualification). 
  • Options
    I expect DAZN to make a move for the Super League TV rights
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I thought this season has been hard to watch.  Levy and Mourinho have sucked the life and soul out of Spurs.  The flair has gone, the enjoyment of watching Spurs has disappeared and would need massive investment to be challenging for a top 6 spot, let alone winning anything again.

Then this on top?

The bald-headed weasel has got this wrong, badly wrong on so many levels.

'The game is about glory', said our esteemed skipper Danny Blanchflower.  Danny and Bill Nicholson would be turning in their graves now.  There's only one thing Levy and ENIC are interested in and thats profit and the bottom line.  Its been said for years but this is the proof that those that regularly defended the board needed to finally change their minds.

Have slept on it and I feel worse this morning than I did yesterday.

If this goes ahead, Spurs will be dead to me.

I cant see how Levy gets away with this.  I'm expecting a massive backlash from our supporters today, let alone everyone else who wants to pile in too!

En masse. You have to let fuc*tards like Levy know exactly what this means.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Why would the PL cut anyone off? Surely if you are the Premier League you don’t want to rock the boat too much, as things stand your competition isn’t directly impacted (aside from who is selected for European qualification). 
    Apart from completely f******g up your midweek fixtures..

The CL has a direct link to the PL. This won't.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    se9addick said:

Of course it directly impacts the PL.

The breakaway clubs all get guaranteed annual income to the tunes of billions that give them an even greater advantage in the domestic league.
    The fact that the majority of the teams outside the Premier League run at a loss as they bankrupt themselves to get to the promised land means the “money undermining the integrity of the game” ship has already sailed.

If the Premier League are concerned about income streams impacting the integrity of the sport that would be hypocrisy of the highest order.