Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    Do I have this correct. It's going to be a midweek competition with the clubs still playing in their respective leagues. So our 'big 6' carry on playing prem football aswell as the super league?
    Only if they're allowed to by the Premier League. 
    Gotcha. So ideally it would be nice if the premier league say you either play in the super league and dont come back or you dont even bother going ahead with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Do I have this correct. It's going to be a midweek competition with the clubs still playing in their respective leagues. So our 'big 6' carry on playing prem football aswell as the super league?
    That's what the statement said

The first stage is 2 ten team leagues, so 18 matches. If you're a poor permanent team (e.g. Arsenal) that will quickly become pretty painful to watch, without even the threat of relegation to give something to fight for
  • Options
    Saw it said somewhere else and summed up my view, football is just consumed by greed. It will eventually destroy itself. All of these owners care not one jot about fans, or teams lower down the pyramid. And why would they? They are all owned by people who will never meet real fans and who probably don't have a clue about any other team not in the Premier League. It's an absolute irrelevance to them whether fans like it or not, or whether it affects other clubs negatively, as long as there making money from it then that's all that matters. Joel Glazer as vice chairman telling us what a great opportunity this is for football? Give me a break.

I'd also point out that a lot of the criticism going round tonight is totally warranted, but let's not kid ourselves that many of those criticising are also driven by greed. I'd wager a bet that a lot of teams who will come out and criticise this will make a very quick U-turn if an offer gets extended to them to join.

Fans of top level clubs have never been more at risk of becoming totally detached from their clubs than they are now. Where does this end? The way things are going I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we saw top level teams re-locating from their home stadiums and playing in places like China, Qatar etc if it's more lucrative. You'll have teams in Manchester who maybe only play 25% of their home games in Manchester and play the rest elsewhere. 

Not sure if others feel the same but over the last few months I've found myself getting more and more detached from top level football, at first I put it down to VAR as I honestly just can't abide it. But I was only thinking today if there was some kind of package that Sky or BT offered which meant I could forego Premier League matches and just pay for football league I'd probably take it. I find myself getting much more excited about lower league fixtures than I do Premier League games and I generally find them much more entertaining as well. 
    I’ve got Sky but can’t remember the last time I watched a PL game live. I watch MOTD but have no real interest in watching a live game, like you a lot more likely to watch a EFL game live. VAR does have a lot to do with it, hate it with a passion, would much rather refs making honest mistakes. If Sky bid for this new league I’ll be ditching it straight away.
  • Options
    The European super League as predicted by Richard Murray 20 years ago when he said Man United would be the first English club to leave.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    PSG will be announced as winners of the Champions League this season as the other 3 teams will be banned.

Only Man City, United and Atletico Madrid out of the 12 founders haven't put on social media that they have joined the ESL. Expect them to do it in the morning.
    I can’t see that, UEFA will lose money for not fulfilling their TV contract. In such a scenario, the semi finals would probably take place as PSG, Bayern, Dortmund and Porto.
  • Options
    Utterly disgusted. 

• Options
    Exactly , it seems like a fuck off to UEFA and their two competitions to me .
    Basically they want a bigger portion of that pie rather than all the rest getting their hands on it .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just googled about how this has been handled previously and one of the top hits was this BBC article from 1998(!) where the premier league said it would expel clubs thinking about joining a breakaway league. Seems history is repeating itself. These clubs just want a guaranteed bigger slice of the pie and always have. 

These closed leagues can work in the US because they aren't as historically set up as our leagues and they have draft systems underpinning it. These clubs want to kill the game and I hope it ends up killing them. There will be plenty of big clubs with bigger history still left. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/160782.stm
  • Options
    To be fair, I have just had a gander at The Shed forum and to a man they are against the idea and are both angry and ashamed of the club’s involvement.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    There could be some really serious backlash here.

If those fans of the big clubs turn against the owners I don’t have a clue how bad it could get.

Football, for some people is their life. Messing with that is risky business.
    You seem to think the owners will care? Arsenal and United already hate their owners and that was before this announcement.

As Neville said these owners hide away and you never hear from them.

How often have you seen the Glazers, Mansour, Kroenke, Henry, Abramovich and Joe Lewis do an interview? Apart from Abramovich i don't think any of them even live in England and they rarely go to games. They wont give a shit about any fan backlash.
  • Options
    Utter disgrace. Backing PSG in the Champions League now
    Same, but I'm pretty sure there is some other reason PSG aren't doing it because of some love for fans will be some other reason, saw it floated that it's related to the World Cup in Qatar and the closeness with FIFA because of that.

Won't be long til Bayern join too, another scummy club. Hopefully Dortmund can at least be the one "big" team with a bit of backbone and genuine reasons for not joining, they seem the only hope.
    Yeah i doubt it'll be too long before PSG sign up for it.

The second that Neymar and Mbappe tell them they're off to join a Super league club for 1m a week wages they'll soon change their minds.
  • Options
    Got to laugh at this quote from Madrid president Perez:

"We will help football at every level and take it to its rightful place in the world"

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure that no level of football outside of the 12 founder members is helped by this.

• Options
    I feel like they should've stood their ground. A super league without Chelsea, City, Bayern, PSG plus other top European sides like Ajax, Dortmund, Porto etc would've been even more shit than it already will be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This is the advert I got whilst reading this thread.  With that numbering, it looks like Alexander-Arnold's a guard for a gridiron team.  And since when did someone who's won one trophy in his career become an icon?

• Options
    It's disgusting, this will finish football... 

It will make everything else some colloquial side show, all the funds will dry up and without relegation, it's done, it's over...

We need a player and manager boycott, but surely that changes when they offer them a million a week, ALL of them, all the players, and all the managers. 

It's so bad, so at least these clubs have got themselves into a position where they are founder members. 

But now after the backlash, they must find a way to communicate amongst themselves and all leave at the same time. 

The backed into a corner narrative makes total sense, and they will do the same to the German clubs and PSG. 

I think the only answer is either special forces going in and killing all the major players in a synchronized death squad. 

Or the players showing integrity, so in short, it's over. 

They have finally broken our game. 

• Options
    A bunch of rich institutions fighting each other about money while the fans get mugged off. 

None of them are the good guy even if they are on our side, it's not for the right reasons, it's about money, it's always about money.
  • Options
    • An August start with clubs participating in two groups of ten, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions. A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue.
    Tim Vickery speaking on the World service earlier made a couple of good points. 

Most of these 'super' teams will lose more games than they win which may well jeopardise their 'super' status.  We could end up with a couple of 'super super' teams and the rest. He also believes the Asian markets will be critical to the success (or otherwise) of this league.

His final point about the demise of custodian owners while greedy businessmen look purely for profit and a guaranteed income won't be lost on Charlton supporters (present owner excepted).  
  • Options
    Whilst being totally against this venture I do find the reaction of the Premier League and UEFA quite hypocritical.

Under the guise of ‘fair play’ these bodies, through the apportionment of considerable TV money, have created massive gaps between clubs over the last 20 to 30 years and have happily let it happen.

Every time we pay our monthly Sky Subsciption we are all also very culpable.
    And FIFA kicking off as well, hold on you gave a summer world cup to Qatar and forced it to be played in December!