Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

European Super League - clubs withdrawing p42 onwards.

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    Hundreds of thousands of people, up and down the country, spend, individually, thousands of pounds a year to go and watch football. None of them are going to watch the opposition, they’re there to watch their team. Newcastle, Leeds, Everton, West Ham, Sunderland, Wolves, Villa etc. will still draw large crowds to watch them. Football has existed for over a hundred years and did so just fine without massive TV deals for most of that time. It will need to adjust but it can definitely still thrive. It won’t be special to see Man Utd play Barcelona 4 times a season, those games are exciting because they only happen every few years, and even the current Champions League format has removed the shine form some of those types of fixtures. 
    So why are crowds at Charlton bigger when they play Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool? If they aren't there to watch the opposition? 
       26,749 attendance to watch Hartlepool United, 5/12/12 

17,402 average home attendance that season. 

Think we'd have been able to build a side unless we were able to sell Jenkinson thanks to Premier League money? 
  • Options
    UEFA should be happy. It actually makes the horrendous changes to the Champions League look palatable.  :#

Would love it if they cancelled the proposed changes they were planning as well.
  • Options
    Fine - let them go. Let them play in a meaningless tournament that no-one, apart from the clubs and TV, want. And it will be meaningless because with no relegation loads of the fixtures with nothing at stake will be basically friendlies.

At the same time, ban them from the Premier League. None of this playing your under 21s crap in the Premier League or cups. And tell them when they want to come back they will have to start in tier 4. 

Seriously, fight fire with fire. 

Tier 4? Fuck that. National League at the very most.
  • Options
    I'm swinging between, feck 'em let them get on with it, but then, when you watch someone as passionate about it as Gary Neville, starting to think about the wider, community impact.

How would the average Liverpool fan feel who's followed them around the country for decades, saving up £1000's to do so, ever afford to go to a 10 European away games? City have been knocking around the lower leagues themselves not that long ago. Lots of these fans are the 4th or 5th generation and will be priced out of following their club.

These clubs are treating everyone, but especially their own fans with contempt. 
    Not sure I can answer the question entirely but this will be the end of their local derby against Everton (assuming they are thrown out). I can't see the average Liverpool fan welcoming that for a chance to see them play Arsenal in an 11.00pm kick off in Bangkok. (These games will be taken abroad).
  • Options
    All this talk of new leagues, bans, rebels and putting money before your country reminds me of the early days Kerry Packer controversy.  
  • Options
    Pure greed. These are the same teams who wouldnt help out the lower league teams but then rush off to line there own pockets. 

Makes me laugh though...Arsenal are shit, Spurs are shit and Liverpool without 2 1st team CBs are distinctly average. And Arsenal & Spurs arent even in the champions league!! 

These teams will end up with a massive amount of money and in there time away will end up better off than the remaining teams so there should be penalties for any team that goes. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Fine - let them go. Let them play in a meaningless tournament that no-one, apart from the clubs and TV, want. And it will be meaningless because with no relegation loads of the fixtures with nothing at stake will be basically friendlies.

At the same time, ban them from the Premier League. None of this playing your under 21s crap in the Premier League or cups. And tell them when they want to come back they will have to start in tier 4. 

Seriously, fight fire with fire. 

Tier 4? Fuck that. National League at the very most.
    If it happened, I’d go for Tier 7. 
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    Chuck the six out. Knock on effect 9 promoted from League 1 or a minimum 6 
    And still Sunderland and/or Pompey would manage to miss out.
  • Options
    UEFA and FIFA need to make it clear that players that play for these teams will no longer be allowed to play international football.

I doubt the players will care, as it is the clubs that pay the wages
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If they are indeed announcing it at 9.30pm, there must be something to try and keep fans on side? At least in the short term. 

I'm going with something like 'All games in the tournament for the first year will be on free-to-air television channels in Europe'. 
  • Options
    Is it wrong of me to want it to happen just because I imagine it would soon become a borefest and the clubs will be asking if they can retake their place in the premier league.

The amount of shit i get even now in adult life from man united fans in the office just for supporting little old Charlton, I'd love to see their faces. I assume they will start supporting Leicester.
  • Options
    If they are indeed announcing it at 9.30pm, there must be something to try and keep fans on side? At least in the short term. 

I'm going with something like 'All games in the tournament for the first year will be on free-to-air television channels in Europe'. 
    Risky move...doing the announcement in the middle of Line Of Duty...
  • Options
    Feel sorry for the local fans of these clubs. 

Most modern football club owners come across as arseholes. 

These are century plus old institutions whether you're Manchester United or Bury or Liverpool or Acrrington Stanley. 

Shouldn't be allowed to be manoeuvred and manipulated and years of tradition and community be disregarded by scum who wouldn't know what football was if it hit them in their rancid, shrivelled scrotums.
  • Options
    It's a negotiation tactic to allow those clubs to get still  more from TV deals than the Burnleys, Wolves etc. The other Premier League clubs will figure out that they can do this and still end up with more than if those six clubs disappeared. 

I suspect most of us would like to say 'tata then' and call their bluff.

Wonder what the major sponsors are thinking, because they will get their way. More global exposure when China settles down for Arsenal v Milan or whatever. 
  • Options
    And it is China, India and Asia that this is aimed at. The US sports market is pretty saturated, MLS is trying for some of the Hispanic (is that word ok, genuinely sorry if not) market and parents who don't want their kids' brains rattled around by playing US football. 

1pm kick off in Milan, 8pm in Shanghai.

And yes some of these games will be designed to be played in Asia.

Except that it's never going to happen, the Prem will chick its cards in and pay the money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I think the clubs involved may have misjudged this move. UEFA and FIFA were clearly anticipating this could happen and their reaction is the threat to make these teams football pariahs. Not just the clubs, but potentially the players that play for them.

What will be interesting is whether the clubs will be allowed to back down. If I was FIFA/UEFA I would demand undertakings that there will be no repeat of this or the teams will be kicked out of their competitions as of now. There may be upfront riches but a 12 team league is going to get boring mighty quickly.   
  • Options
    And 9.30 passes without comment, maybe it was all just a ploy to get £££ from UEFA. 
  • Options
    Both Boris and Keir Starmer have also spoken out against this...
  • Options
    Hundreds of thousands of people, up and down the country, spend, individually, thousands of pounds a year to go and watch football. None of them are going to watch the opposition, they’re there to watch their team. Newcastle, Leeds, Everton, West Ham, Sunderland, Wolves, Villa etc. will still draw large crowds to watch them. Football has existed for over a hundred years and did so just fine without massive TV deals for most of that time. It will need to adjust but it can definitely still thrive. It won’t be special to see Man Utd play Barcelona 4 times a season, those games are exciting because they only happen every few years, and even the current Champions League format has removed the shine form some of those types of fixtures. 
    So why are crowds at Charlton bigger when they play Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool? If they aren't there to watch the opposition? 

Partially because they bring bigger away crowds that pack out the away end ?
  • Options
    As others have said, can't see this actually happening. These clubs are likely using this for leverage in other matters and can say they listened to the fans when they inevitably go back on this