Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Northampton v Charlton |24th October 2020

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Sage said:
    I haven’t seen a single minute today and won’t either, but I’ve got to say I genuinely don’t understand why Bowyer has completely changed the midfield from Tuesday...? There is no ball winner in the three he has picked. Baffles me why you’d have both Watson and Pratley on the bench, especially in not great weather conditions.
    Ball wining hasn’t been a problem to be honest. Northampton’s midfield aren’t there to play as the ball sails over their head every time a Northampton defender gets it anyway. 

We’ve had lots of possession, but Northampton are set up for a draw and it’s never easy breaking down teams that work hard and are organized. We’ve lacked a bit of a spark but again players are still getting to know each other and that understanding is particularly important when you’re trying to unlock a massed defence with quick one a two touch passing. We’ve come close to unlocking them a couple of times but not found the key final touch or pass.

Conditions are dreadful as well and not at all helping. 

It’s not been as bad as some are saying, in my opinion. Another 1-0 is still very possible and would be a great result.

The attacking fluency we're desperate to see may have to wait for another day. 
    If you change half the team every game, it's really hard to create that understanding. Not even City, United or Chelsea at their peak could entirely swap out the midfield every game
    Yes but this is the third game in a week and we have a number of players who are either ancient or lacking a preseason/match fitness. 
  • Options
    Terry Smith there "scruffy football, hopefully will improve with the introduction of Darren Pratley" I AM CLAWING AT THE SCREEN

maybe he's going to play in a back 3? :/
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    What do people hope Pratley does this half? Out of interest
  • Options
    At least Pratley gives us an attacking edge.
    Stop. Please. I can't take it
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    For Levitt! Fucksake. Yuck. Bowyer you kill me
    Feel for the lad just not in the game though mind you neither were the other midfielders so they can count themselves lucky to still be on.
  • Options
    Don't it always seem to go
    You don't know what you got
    Till Pratley's gone.

Pratters, Marcus and Connor on to win it
    Probably more entertaining , putting up a Parking Lot .
  • Options
    Pratley for Levitt. 
    Louth ain't gonna be happy 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Levitt is 19. What's JFC & Williams' excuse
    They're shit?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Really don't like this scapegoating of Levitt. The other two have been much worse and have given it away for fun
    Seems some have made their minds up about players already - Inniss, Famewo and Maatsen all class and the best defenders in League 1, Levitt not good enough.
    On the evidence so far - not just this game but including the others he has played - Levitt has done nothing to justify him being in the team.

Seems like LB agrees he didn't have a good first half.
    Difference is Bowyer won’t be completely writing him off, he did the same with Bielik early on in that season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    46' A Charlton change at the break as Darren Pratley replaces Dylan Levitt. We're back underway! #NTFC 0-0 #CAFC
  • Options
    2 shots, 1 on target and you swap defensive midfielders. Go go go....
  • Options
    Well, we've started off this half worse.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Levitt is 19. What's JFC & Williams' excuse

Have to feel for the both of them a bit, both starting to get into some sort of form then find themselves back out the team. Hard to build up form when your'e in and out of the team.

Equally we put in 2 solid but not spectacular performances with Watson and Pratley in a row, then both are benched.

Some unnecessary changes (unless there are fitness reasons behind it).

• Options
    edited October 2020
    No idea about Northampton's pre season, but ours has been a torrid time. Half of our playing squad is new. Of those I question how fit they are and whether they understand their playing partners yet. It's very early days.

When Powell did a full squad refurb of 12+ players, he had longer to get them gelling. This is a tough league. As competitive as the Championship. Our squad has cost no more than anyone else's, so what right have we got to think they would be better by far as some expect. 
  • Options
    45 minutes of quality football from the visitors is about to ensue 
  • Options
    1. 48'

Post update

Jonathan Williams (Charlton Athletic) wins a free kick in the defensive half.

2. 48'

Post update

Foul by Jack Sowerby (Northampton Town).

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Don't it always seem to go
    You don't know what you got
    Till Pratley's gone.

Pratters, Marcus and Connor on to win it
    When Pratley 'went' in the last game we got about 3 times better. Sozzles pal
    Think that Maatsen coming on was the crucial factor in that substitution.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    49'

Post update

Offside, Northampton Town. Michael Harriman tries a through ball, but Danny Rose is caught offside.

• Options
    Like watching Sunday football
  • Options
    That was better. A little more urgency. 
  • Options
    Doughty wins a corner on our right.
  • Options
    50'

Post update

Corner, Charlton Athletic. Conceded by Fraser Horsfall.

• Options
    Williams and JFC really don't offer much at all
  • Options
    51' Charlton have a couple of corners on the right with Williams but the Cobblers stand firm and clear the danger. #NTFC 0-0 #CAFC
  • Options
    Williams had to delay taking it as the ball kept blowing off the quadrant. Eventually cleared and now back to Amos
  • Options
    If Williams spent less time on the floor, and more time getting into position then maybe he would have more impact on the game. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!