Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Northampton v Charlton |24th October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else think that this is set up nicely for another 1-0 win to us?
  • Options
    Really not keen though on this 4-3-3 we seem to insist on playing
  • Options
    Didn't realise Levitt was playing 
  • Options
    If I log off and give the second half a miss, can I get a £5 refund? :-)
    There's probably an early release clause, have you read the small print ;)
  • Options
    Why is Williams playing in a 3?

If he plays it has to be as a 10, but then you struggle to get Doughty in the team. 

Bowyer's teams always look better with 2 up front. 
  • Options
    Well that’s 45 minutes of my life I’m not getting back and. Fiver down the shute. Desperately bad. About the same standard as the game I watched in the park while walking the dog earlier.  Blame the wind all you like but that was rubbish. Another beginning to question the tactics and selection policies. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Every team sets up to press us and we don't really have an answer. 

When we did manage to get it in their half, we were really sloppy. JFC, Doughty and Williams putting it out of play, sending passes nowhere, terrible.

Nobody in the middle to bring the ball down and put their foot on it. The only way we're getting into their half is through a long ball that ends up with a throw-in to us. 

Still, we're in at 0-0 thanks to Amos and a better second half will do.

Have to credit Northampton who have done their homework. We've been pulled right into the game they want to play.

If Watson should come on, it's only because he can put his foot on the ball and show some leadership. I don't think this is a game that needs Watson & Pratley. Northampton aren't even trying to play through the middle, and bringing Pratley on is not going to help us move up the pitch
  • Options
    I said in the preview the weather/wind could play a part and it certainly has, however that was bloody awful even allowing for the wind!! Get the ball down and play on the floor, although I'm sure I heard Terry on commentary say the pitch wasn't up to much either!! I like Williams but this game is not his type......not overly impressed with Levitt either. Oh well 45 mins to go, lets hope it improves....greatly!!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Levitt hasn't been as bad as JFC. Williams has also had an off-day so far. Better signs in the last ten minutes though. Maybe a change of shape to 3-5-2? Shinnie ought to come on as well imo
    Your starting 11 has been shocking. 

Leuth out.
    I'd have started Watson, despite my misgivings! Levitt shouldn't be our deepest midfielder and I'd have played him and Williams alongside Watson. JFC having a decent game against Wigan was a problem as I really don't think he fits in very well in general. I'd have him straight off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd like to see what the stats of our midfield are. I expect Levitt has been the one who has touched the ball the most, carried it the most, and passed it the most - yet apparently he is the issue today.

Looking at the conditions I'd say relying on pinging diagonals to our wide attackers when the wind is all over the shop is probably part of the issue. 
  • Options
    Don't it always seem to go
    You don't know what you got
    Till Pratley's gone.

Pratters, Marcus and Connor on to win it
  • Options
    Only one team looks remotely like scoring so far and it aint us.

Let's hope Bowyer conjures something up at half time to galvanise us a bit (or should that be a lot?)
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I haven’t seen a single minute today and won’t either, but I’ve got to say I genuinely don’t understand why Bowyer has completely changed the midfield from Tuesday...? There is no ball winner in the three he has picked. Baffles me why you’d have both Watson and Pratley on the bench, especially in not great weather conditions.
     Yeah. It's really odd and I'd like to know the thinking behind it?

• Options
    Dreadful stuff, just as baffled by the midfield selection today as I was with the selection on Tuesday

Not because the players are individually bad, but due to the combination being wrong.

So far the wind has negated their long ball tactics, but Northampton will have the wind behind them in the second half, we will be bombarded in the second half.
  • Options
    HT stats just came up on screen ...

Aerial duels won: Northampton 61% Charlton 39%

There's a hint there:

Keep the bloody ball on the grass!
  • Options
    Don't it always seem to go
    You don't know what you got
    Till Pratley's gone.

Pratters, Marcus and Connor on to win it
    When Pratley 'went' in the last game we got about 3 times better. Sozzles pal
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I haven’t seen a single minute today and won’t either, but I’ve got to say I genuinely don’t understand why Bowyer has completely changed the midfield from Tuesday...? There is no ball winner in the three he has picked. Baffles me why you’d have both Watson and Pratley on the bench, especially in not great weather conditions.
    Shhh. Don't you know you aren't allowed to question the almighty. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor first half, can we send Levitt back?
    Not yet. Unfortunately.
    Early days to pass definitive judgement maybe but I can't see that Levitt offers anything that Albie Morgan doesn't and I reckon Albie is quicker too.
  • Options
    Nice tunes at half time, "I Get the Sweetest Feeling", then Uptight
  • Options
    If anyone's coming off for sure it's Williams btw
  • Options
    Last week is was because the team don't know each other & need time to gel.

Today it's because of the weather.

Will tuesday be that Oxford were fresher than us because they didnt play today.
  • Options
    Levitt, Williams and Bogle have been horse shit. We have got the sting of a butterfly. I don't understand the team selection. I know we have got a game on Tuesday but do you have to overhaul the whole team every game? There is no continuity.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Ball wining hasn’t been a problem to be honest. Northampton’s midfield aren’t there to play as the ball sails over their head every time a Northampton defender gets it anyway. 

We’ve had lots of possession, but Northampton are set up for a draw and it’s never easy breaking down teams that work hard and are organized. We’ve lacked a bit of a spark but again players are still getting to know each other and that understanding is particularly important when you’re trying to unlock a massed defence with quick one a two touch passing. We’ve come close to unlocking them a couple of times but not found the key final touch or pass.

Conditions are dreadful as well and not at all helping. 

It’s not been as bad as some are saying, in my opinion. Another 1-0 is still very possible and would be a great result.

The attacking fluency we're desperate to see may have to wait for another day. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!