Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Northampton v Charlton |24th October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Nice tunes at half time, "I Get the Sweetest Feeling", then Uptight

Nah, get some Motorhead on.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I haven’t seen a single minute today and won’t either, but I’ve got to say I genuinely don’t understand why Bowyer has completely changed the midfield from Tuesday...? There is no ball winner in the three he has picked. Baffles me why you’d have both Watson and Pratley on the bench, especially in not great weather conditions.
    Shhh. Don't you know you aren't allowed to question the almighty. 
    I think we are coming to the point where it is fair to question Bowyer. He’s now free of the nonsense ownership shenanigans, he’s been able to add players to the squad. He gets some leeway because he was picking from the leftovers and had the salary cap restricting him. 

He’s obviously massively in credit and I don’t think anyone seriously wants a change of manager or anything like that, but maybe the blind “in Bowyer we trust” stuff needs to be replaced with a bit more critical analysis. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Really don't like this scapegoating of Levitt. The other two have been much worse and have given it away for fun
    Not scapegoating Levitt. Just haven’t started on other two yet. All three have been awful. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Really don't like this scapegoating of Levitt. The other two have been much worse and have given it away for fun
    Seems some have made their minds up about players already - Inniss, Famewo and Maatsen all class and the best defenders in League 1, Levitt not good enough.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Agreed but at least you notice the muffed passes and falling over of the other two. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Tough conditions not conducive to decent football being played. Having said that midfield has been poor up to last 10 mins. Amos great save to keep it at 0-0. This will be a war of attrition and we need to take the odd chance we get second half whilst keeping them out especially from set pieces at the back. Score first and they have to try and play some football. COYRs 3 points please!
  • Options
    Shinnie and Watson for Williams and JFC if we're bold about our changes. Bowyer is definitely going to make at least 1 change. Maddison can wait
  • Options
    Things will get better in the second half,just a gut feeling.

Keep it tight at the back,then hit them on the break.

Charlton win on the road again.

Have faith.
  • Options
    Things can only get better in the 2nd half ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is at least some perverse entertainment  value from Casket and Williams 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Levitt is 19. What's JFC & Williams' excuse
    Williams never seems to be picked enough to know how
    we play, always seems to be the fall guy
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Seems some have made their minds up about players already - Inniss, Famewo and Maatsen all class and the best defenders in League 1, Levitt not good enough.
    Same story every year. Some can’t drop their first impressions even when players improve later. 

Never understood how people think it is anyway helpful or supportive. And we are supposed to be supporters free all. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Me and Leuth want Watson on ... but Leuth isn't brave enough to say it.
    Ahem :D
  • Options
    Need to get Marcus the beast on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Wouldnt bring either Watson or Pratley on, the midfield / defence hasnt been over-ran so we dont need someone sitting in front of the defence to protect it

Someone needs to drop deep to collect the ball from Inniss and Famewo though, Northampton are happy to close them down so the ball goes long to Bogle, they've then got two players on him so one of them either beats him to the ball OR if Bogle does win the ball then there isnt a Charlton player within close proximity

Certainly wouldnt change it straight away, would give the second half at least 5-10 mins first, see if we can do better facing the wind

Edit: and Darren Pratley coming on completely devalues my whole post lol!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I haven’t seen a single minute today and won’t either, but I’ve got to say I genuinely don’t understand why Bowyer has completely changed the midfield from Tuesday...? There is no ball winner in the three he has picked. Baffles me why you’d have both Watson and Pratley on the bench, especially in not great weather conditions.
    Ball wining hasn’t been a problem to be honest. Northampton’s midfield aren’t there to play as the ball sails over their head every time a Northampton defender gets it anyway. 

We’ve had lots of possession, but Northampton are set up for a draw and it’s never easy breaking down teams that work hard and are organized. We’ve lacked a bit of a spark but again players are still getting to know each other and that understanding is particularly important when you’re trying to unlock a massed defence with quick one a two touch passing. We’ve come close to unlocking them a couple of times but not found the key final touch or pass.

Conditions are dreadful as well and not at all helping. 

It’s not been as bad as some are saying, in my opinion. Another 1-0 is still very possible and would be a great result.

The attacking fluency we're desperate to see may have to wait for another day. 
    If you change half the team every game, it's really hard to create that understanding. Not even City, United or Chelsea at their peak could entirely swap out the midfield every game
  • Options
    Urrrrrrgh it's Pratley
  • Options
    Pratley for Levitt. 
  • Options
    Not sure why the kid Levitt is being singled out so much, he’s played no worse than anyone else in that disjointed midfield.  Maybe swap him for Watson but that’s not because he’s no good. 

Get Maddison and Watson on and keep the ball down, long balls just play into their game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice tunes at half time, "I Get the Sweetest Feeling", then Uptight
    Yeah before the game the fatback band and “I found lovin” FairPlay the DJ best performer today by a long way 
  • Options
    Pratley on for Levitt. Let's see if we get better then. 
  • Options
    For Levitt! Fucksake. Yuck. Bowyer you kill me
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Leuth said:
    Levitt played a stormer in his first game for us, but now he's crap apparently

Can't remember the last time Williams had a stormer for us, just for comparison
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    On the evidence so far - not just this game but including the others he has played - Levitt has done nothing to justify him being in the team.

Seems like LB agrees he didn't have a good first half.
  • Options
    According to Valley Pass, Prattters now coming on, probabky be for Levitt
  • Options
    I must stop watching the Saturday lucnchtime Premier League games before watching League One as they are like two different sports!
  • Options
    Pratley on for Levitt.
  • Options
    Honestly dont see the point of this change, I know we need someone collecting the ball from deep (maybe thats what Pratley offers) but would argue him and Watson are better when the team are under the kosh and need protection
  • Options
    Take off Levitt and bring on Pratley. This is not the game for him
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!