Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Oxford United Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    This side looks as if the strategy is to keep it to 0-0 at 60 minutes then bring on Maddison, Williams, Aneke to win it at the end, because none of those 3 will be able to manage more than 30 minutes
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Another 1-0 win with Maddison coming on to set it up in last 15 mins
  • Options
    Most of Oxford’s threat will come from the three players in behind the striker - as tends to be the case in Robinson’s sides. 

I think this is the kind of game where Watson and Pratley will do a good job of nullifying the threat of those players.
    Well, neither of them are very fast. So we'll see. 

Shouldn't we be more concerned with giving Oxford something to worry about? Our defence has been on fire recently and doesn't need that much help, surely?
  • Options
    No comment from me
    Yeah I was always told if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all ;) 
  • Options
    Assuming Sky have Smyth and Bogle the wrong way round.

• Options
    That line-up makes sense. I think Bowyer will have been a little bit rattled by how vulnerable we looked without either Watson or Pratley and retreated back to having both. Robinson teams play nice football so spoiling that will be high on the agenda. I'm looking forward to us hopefully bringing Maddison on as the game goes on. If he's able to create from wide areas then you can get away with a workman-like midfield. We've got Chuks and Williams to come on if needed as well, so we're looking pretty good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Most of Oxford’s threat will come from the three players in behind the striker - as tends to be the case in Robinson’s sides. 

I think this is the kind of game where Watson and Pratley will do a good job of nullifying the threat of those players.

Shouldn't we be more concerned with giving Oxford something to worry about? Our defence has been on fire recently and doesn't need that much help, surely?
    Maybe it’s been doing so well because of the help it’s been getting?

Honestly give me Pratley, Watson, Shinnie over Levitt, Williams, JFC every time.
    Against the latter, Northampton mustered one chance, from a set-piece
  • Options
    Having Watson and Pratley in together works better than not having them in on past form.

I know we'd all like to see this fast expansive football, but Bowyer obviously doesn't think they're ready for it yet.

In him we trust
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Dont need to be fast if you can get the ball to where it needs to go, or if you can anticipate early enough where the ball is going
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Honestly give me Pratley, Watson, Shinnie over Levitt, Williams, JFC every time.
    But it was obviously a dross combination for a fight in a gale, yeah
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Talking of “against the latter”, how many chances did the three of them create?
  • Options
    Update

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Zero, sure. Williams for one had an absolute stinker. 
  • Options
    I'm just a little surprised that Aneke is back so quickly. It does seem a high risk to bring him on as sub tonight.

You'd think he'd need the extra few days just to sure he has healed fully. After all we are going to need him to be regularly involved.

• Options
    Quite like that formation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I'm just a little surprised that Aneke is back so quickly. It does seem a high risk to bring him on as sub tonight.

You'd think he'd need the extra few days just to sure he has healed fully. After all we are going to need him to be regularly involved.
    Be lovely if we dont need him... Bit like Maddison on Saturday
  • Options
    Anyway, it's not like we need to choose between those three distinct units. We can mix and match! Shinnie, yes. Watson OR Pratley, yes. And...someone who can control and carry the ball, yes. JFC, Williams, maybe even Levitt, maybe even Maddison. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Zero, sure. Williams for one had an absolute stinker. 
    This isn’t my first choice midfield (missing Gilbey and Maddison) and I think people who are saying that we’ll grow through the season to only need one of the two is probably right. I can appreciate why Bowyer thinks we need to steady the ship with both.

Eventually I’d like to see Pratley/Watson behind Gilbey, Shinnie and Maddison.
  • Options
    If it's good enough for LB, it's good enough for me. Reading some of the moans on here, you would think Watson and Pratley don't venture over the halfway line. But, to my mind, they are both very good players who can add something to our attacking play as well as nullifying the Oxford midfield. Age is but a number.
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    If it's good enough for LB, it's good enough for me. Reading some of the moans on here, you would think Watson and Pratley don't venture over the halfway line. But, to my mind, they are both very good players who can add something to our attacking play as well as nullifying the Oxford midfield. Age is but a number.
    Watson's your man for hitting Row X. Pratley's your man for if you need a loose ball Brexited in from a corner. In open play? Come off it
  • Options
    Watson and Pratley in each others position, other than that, looks likely.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Update

I expect Pratley will play on the left side of midfield and Watson will be the one in the middle who plays really deep. 

• Options
    If Maddison is fit I would really like to see him get at least 30 minutes. That's a lot of talent and goal threat to have sitting on the bench too long.
  • Options
    The less glamorous players provide the balance that allow us to play better both ways. They shield the defence and they provide a platform for more creative players to build on. A midfield of Levitt, Williams and JFC failed spectacularly because they weren't smart enough on the pitch to know how to support each other, not just because it was windy. It's no surprise that we took control of the game once Pratley came on, because he freed up the players around him. I'd like to see us get to the point where we play only one of them, mostly because surely one of them has to run out of puff before the season ends, they're hundreds of years old each, but I'm ok with us starting with both while the team gels
  • Options
    I like that side.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!