Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Oxford United Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Bows has gone all Karl Robinson! 

I don't think we've been in a situation whereby nobody on CL manages to predict our starting 11. Worth a new thread as a contest.
  • Options
    The less glamorous players provide the balance that allow us to play better both ways. They shield the defence and they provide a platform for more creative players to build on. A midfield of Levitt, Williams and JFC failed spectacularly because they weren't smart enough on the pitch to know how to support each other, not just because it was windy. It's no surprise that we took control of the game once Pratley came on, because he freed up the players around him. I'd like to see us get to the point where we play only one of them, mostly because surely one of them has to run out of puff before the season ends, they're hundreds of years old each, but I'm ok with us starting with both while the team gels
    But we barely took control of the game! It was still a complete nonsense of a match, but we capitalised on a set-piece and scored a breakaway that had nothing to do with anyone other than Amos and Doughty. I agree that Williams and JFC had little idea how to find space in that formation (and I don't blame Levitt much at all), and that Pratley's introduction saw a definite improvement in JFC above all, but we absolutely didn't 'take control'. It was still horrible. 
  • Options
    Pratley and Watson will play centrally (most times), both a bit deeper than Shinnie.

Smyth will play wide, and Maatsen and Gunter (to some extent) will push forward in the wide positions.

I have a hat ready to eat if this is wrong.
  • Options
    The less glamorous players provide the balance that allow us to play better both ways. They shield the defence and they provide a platform for more creative players to build on. 
    It's like having 2 Kishishevs in the side. 

All we're lacking is a Darren Bent and a Sp*tty Parker.

• Options
    I thought this was on at 2am Hong Kong time. But it's on at 3am. Oh well too late to back out now.
  • Options
    I’d clap Robbo if I was there.... 
    Cheers mate 😃
  • Options
    Still sticking to my optimism and saying 2-0 unless we give them a penalty as Innis chops someone down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    The less glamorous players provide the balance that allow us to play better both ways. They shield the defence and they provide a platform for more creative players to build on. A midfield of Levitt, Williams and JFC failed spectacularly because they weren't smart enough on the pitch to know how to support each other, not just because it was windy. It's no surprise that we took control of the game once Pratley came on, because he freed up the players around him. I'd like to see us get to the point where we play only one of them, mostly because surely one of them has to run out of puff before the season ends, they're hundreds of years old each, but I'm ok with us starting with both while the team gels
    But we barely took control of the game! It was still a complete nonsense of a match, but we capitalised on a set-piece and scored a breakaway that had nothing to do with anyone other than Amos and Doughty. I agree that Williams and JFC had little idea how to find space in that formation (and I don't blame Levitt much at all), and that Pratley's introduction saw a definite improvement in JFC above all, but we absolutely didn't 'take control'. It was still horrible. 
    Who ever said it wasn't horrible? We took control because we scored ten minutes into the second half, restricted their chances completely, should have scored again through Smyth and then finished them off, all in a match where conditions weren't suited to brilliant flowing football. That's control. This is a League One team who only put their squad together a couple of weeks ago; you're not going to get free-flowing football here. I think there's some Champions League on tonight though
  • Options
    Bowyer always throws up 1 selection that no one predicts. 

Playing all 3 "strikers" is a bit of a risk isn't it?  Not so much for tonight but he will need at least 1 of them, if not 2, to start Saturday.

I am a bit surprised that Bowyer hasnt gone down the lions route with the front 6.  He can't have much time on the training padlock so combinations are going to be a problem. 

Why not at least try and get the same front 6 together on a Saturday and a different 1 midweek.  He has got the players to at least try. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Leuth said:
    I agree. When we scored (from a corner) Northampton went 2 up front. Then the midfield looked completely different. But that new look, spacious midfield is being credited to Pratley 'allowing others to play', and not to the goal which took their extra man out of the middle. 
  • Options
    I think KR's Oxford are going to try some free-flowing stuff actually ;)
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Don't worry about playing Watson and Pratley together, after tonight I do not expect to see Watson play Saturday  :)
    Let's hope he doesn't keep up his record.

We will need him at Pompey.

• Options
  • Options
    Feel a bit sorry for Leuth after Pratley coming on and scoring, almost spoiled his weekend.
    What if Pratley and Watson score a couple each tonight and we win.
    He'll go into orbit.
    I like L.B. selection, agree with sage, keep it tight until we (hopefully) have a full squad to choose from. 
  • Options
    Also, Northampton did have at least two chances I can think of! Someone fired into the side-netting after a corner and someone else blazed a decent chance over under pressure. Also, apart from the Doughty breakaway, all our chances were from set-pieces. We generated one thing from open play the whole game, and even that required a defender to blast one in for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feel a bit sorry for Leuth after Pratley coming on and scoring, almost spoiled his weekend.
    What if Pratley and Watson score a couple each tonight and we win.
    He'll go into orbit.
    I like L.B. selection, agree with sage, keep it tight until we (hopefully) have a full squad to choose from. 
    If Pratley and Watson score a combined total of more than 2 (i.e. 3+) then I can't even say what sort of forfeit I'd accept 
  • Options
    LATE CHANGE: John Mousinho replaces Marcus McGuane on the bench. McGuane has a slight knock so will not be risked. #OUFC
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    So he remembered a few of his own players then :D
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    still, no idea what t f he's on about ((:>)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Also, Northampton did have at least two chances I can think of! Someone fired into the side-netting after a corner and someone else blazed a decent chance over under pressure. Also, apart from the Doughty breakaway, all our chances were from set-pieces. We generated one thing from open play the whole game, and even that required a defender to blast one in for us
    Don't worry, Leuth.  Watson will play a Hollywood ball (from our D) straight into Smyth's path. 

Smyth will cut the ball back ... and there's Pratley.

I have a second hat at the ready.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I have not missed having to listen to Karl Robinson
    Watched that and thought exactly the same. Said absolutely nothing over a minute and a half. Couldn’t even remember his own team to fill out the gaps. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I'm always concerned that a vital player is gonna slip on the steps and come down arse over apex and miss the rest of the season
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Curious to see what Marcus McGuane is like if he plays

He's the lad who became the first English player since Lineker to represent Barcelona
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!