Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fleetwood Town | Tuesday 3rd November 2020 | Post Match thread

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    We're definitely top 6, where we rank against Posh, Ipswich, Sunderland, Hull and maybe Pompey and Doncaster remains to be seen
    When we played them we were Equal to Sunderland, worse than Donny, better than Pompey. Only Pompey came after the window, so I'm confident. 

Ipswich, Posh & Hull TBC
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    That was a penalty from a confident striker. Keeper was never going to stop that.
    Looking at it again it looks pretty close to hitting the post. On another day it will do so or go wide. Not confident as I was when Buyens or Taylor took them. 
    How many did Taylor miss in his 1st season? 
  • Options
    Surely a penalty that is close to the post but doesn't hit it is pretty good.
    You are right, a great penalty, and what made it a great penalty was
    the placement, the keeper went the right way, but was beaten by 
    accuracy and height, he lifted it above the keepers dive, and inside
    the post, not an easy skill, so well done
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me what the starting formation was?
    Flat 4-4-2

Amos
    Gunter Innis Pratley Purrington
    Morgan Watson Shinnie Maatsen
         Washington Bogle
    Maatsen is obviously more than capable at left back but I think, at this level at least, he's more suited to midfield.
  • Options
    I did say, after the first four games when many were moaning, wait until we have played 10 games and see where we are
  • Options
    We have the best squad of players in the League. We have the best individual players in many positions. I don't understand why people can't see that. Not only those being negative about our prospects but those setting incredibly low targets as being a success. I am expecting Play -offs as a minimum, but automatic as very possible.
    Very few people on here have detailed knowledge of League 1 players/squads, including you I expect. It's too early to simply say we have the best squad including individual players. 

We've had lots of positives so far, including 'unknowns' such as Maatsen, Inniss and Famewo. But it's a long old season so time will tell. 
    We have watched enough League One football to gauge the level in recent years. Yes it will differ a bit from one season until the next, but I think I have a pretty good idea what the level is. As I imagine quite a few others will have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not had a chance to catch up with the thread, but what a cracking game that was. In terms of the overall quality of the contest, it was certainly a level above anything else I’ve seen involving us this season.

An excellent first half hour and, thereafter, the lads showed a lot of character to recover from the gut-punch of conceding two goals in a minute. We have got a lot of leaders in the side and some real quality as well.

Fleetwood certainly played their part in a very entertaining game and I was impressed with their two midfield veterans, Whelan and Duffy, whilst the way Evans controlled the ball for his first goal was sublime. However, Barton’s assertion that they were the better side is wide of the mark. Defending your goal is a key part of the game and, in that respect, Fleetwood were happily found wanting.

Overall, a fine team performance from Charlton and I thought that Maatsen and Washington were particularly impressive. The squad is looking very good and I am still a little dumbfounded that we managed to get players of the quality of Gunter and Matthews on board. It’s early days but we are going to get better as fitness levels and combination play improve and the team also seems to have that element of nous and edge that all successful sides need.

With the Rochdale game postponed, there is now a much needed 18 day break for the lads until our short trip down the line to Gillingham on 21 Nov. A chance to get players like Maddison, Gilbey and Pearce fit and to put in some serious time at Sparrow’s Lane. Bowyer will doubtless play youngsters and fringe players in the FA Cup and the EFL - aka the Papa Doc Pizza Cup, which we’re already out of anyway. Some important game time for Maynard-Brewer, Levitt and some of the other youngsters, as well perhaps some minutes for Maddison off the bench. Happy days.

• Options
    We have the best squad of players in the League. We have the best individual players in many positions. I don't understand why people can't see that. Not only those being negative about our prospects but those setting incredibly low targets as being a success. I am expecting Play -offs as a minimum, but automatic as very possible.
    Very few people on here have detailed knowledge of League 1 players/squads, including you I expect. It's too early to simply say we have the best squad including individual players. 

We've had lots of positives so far, including 'unknowns' such as Maatsen, Inniss and Famewo. But it's a long old season so time will tell. 
    We have watched enough League One football to gauge the level in recent years. Yes it will differ a bit from one season until the next, but I think I have a pretty good idea what the level is. As I imagine quite a few others will have.
    Absolutely. But how does that fit with “we have the best individuals in many positions”. 

Cant see how there’s any substance behind saying we have the best squad in the league, not at the moment. 
  • Options
    I've not seen anyone comment, but the way that Ched Evans "caught" the ball on his foot, wrong footing Inniss before scoring the first goal was sublime.
    Yeah, spot on. I said to my son that it was Mendoncaesque.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    We must have a pretty average league one squad of players?

Maybe just about top 10 in terms of natural ability?

Form is picking up.

I'm still a bit "meh" whenever I see us win via online but it is still really important for the long term and means a lot.

Just looking forward to the January transfer window!

8 lols

I should try and do a stand up
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    We're definitely top 6, where we rank against Posh, Ipswich, Sunderland, Hull and maybe Pompey and Doncaster remains to be seen
    With the risk of eating my words & not trying to sound too arrogant about us.

We always do better than Posh, they are good early starters as always but then fade, I don't see it being any different this season and reckon we will get at least 4 points Vs them. We have Pompey's number, big time, no concern at all. Doncaster we will beat when we play them again, they played us at our worst and we saw them at their very best.

The other 3 however do concern me, Ipswich seem solid, despite what their fans say Lambert is a good manager and will always eventually get results, especially at this level of football, will be a tough game Vs them. Hull have some quality and a manager that knows us well, as for Sunderland simply put, I think we owe them one after Wembley.

I would say we are guaranteed play offs, top2 is quite open though, Plymouth and Lincoln are 2 sides not mentioned who will be right up there, obviously Fleetwood as well 
  • Options
    Another excellent win.
    My only concern is, Bowyer has managed to knit a team together in such a short space of time with impressive results.
    Last season he was offered a couple of jobs and it won't go unnoticed that he has arguably surpassed  his previous achievements. 
    Thomas Sandgaard  may find himself fighting off admirers of our brilliant manager.
    Was he actually offered any jobs, or was it just speculation in the media?
  • Options

Absolutely. But how does that fit with “we have the best individuals in many positions”. 

Cant see how there’s any substance behind saying we have the best squad in the league, not at the moment. 
    Using the same principle and knowing what players are well above the level. Alongside knowing who most of the best League One players are.
  • Options

Using the same principle and knowing what players are well above the level. Alongside knowing who most of the best League One players are.
    Sorry I can't agree. Most of us didn't know Famewo or Maatsen, two players who could easily find them themselves in the Team of the Season if they stay here. League One is so difficult to predict, although I agree there are some top players who stand out on stats. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I think we know enough, but we can agree to disagree. Of course there may be players that stand out that come to light. But we have an idea of the level from extensive experience of the level and we can gauge our players and the players from opponents we see against that level.
  • Options
    Playing catch up with this thread. 

It's all starting to feel very similar to the last time we were in league 1 towards the back on the season. Bowyer & Jacko has everyone so organised and focused that we can afford to make 3/4 changes per match and expect everyone to continue the momentum. Cannot fault anyone in that squad as they are giving 100%.

Big shoutout to Morgan. With the performances of Williams, Shinnie, Watson, Pratley & JFC in recent weeks I was kind of expecting not to see him playing in the league for a while. Put in a top quality performance and reminder everyone that we have a proper player in him.

Only negative is that we have got to wait two weeks for the next league match. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just had a look at our run in for the last 6 weeks of the season, during April and May.
    Those of faint disposition may want to look away!

Apart from Accrington away, we play all the current top 9 (except Portsmouth).

A whole sequence of nail biting 6-pointers. 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Just had a look at our run in for the last 6 weeks of the season, during April and May.

We will be about 12 points clear at the top by the time we play these games.
    Nothing to worry about. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Nothing to worry about. 
    Always got PPG to rely on after racking up a huge points total before we play our promotion rivals. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Nothing to worry about. 
    Yep, in any case, no reason why we wouldn't take a very decent number of points from these teams.
    They are 6-pointers after all.

But nevertheless, that's a very intense run in against the best teams in the division.
    They'll be fighting for promotion too!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I’m really not worried by any team in the league, bar Peterborough. I really believe this is a terrible year for quality and we’re just too good for 99% of the opposition. 

I’m not saying we’ll win the league, but we’ll be damn close to the top. We’re going through a minor injury crisis at the moment and have still comfortably won 6 from 6. 

Just wait until other teams have the same issues but lack the squad depth to overcome it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Ched Evans has been sacked by Fleetwood due to discipline and behaviour issues.

Performance at The Valley was probably best showing of the season so far.