Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

Comments

• Options
    You can analyse the game to death but, if you gift any team two goals like we did tonight, you are going to struggle. 

We’ll bounce back on Saturday-Ipswich will be more attacking and I can see us taking advantage of the additional space. We just need to defend better....
  • Options
    Albie
  • Options
    I disagree that it is a match to forget. 
    For me it’s the opposite. 
    A team wins 6 on the spin and keeps 7 clean sheets, then goes away to a mid table side and scrapes a draw. 
    Four days later, they concede four to the bottom side. 

I suspect there is an issue among the lads. 
    Happy to be proved wrong, but we have gone from playing Championship football to playing dog shite, so for me - something is rotten in SE7. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    We lost because the make shift centre halves were found out. Bowyer was out thought by Buxton, their high press was making it very uncomfortable for our back four and we didn't change tactics until we were 2 down. 

You can have a preferred way of playing, but if it isn't working, you have to change it. Before they scored I was calling for it to be changed by bypassing the press with longer balls. The accident that happened was waiting to happen.

Not the end of the world, but give Buxton credit. Their play was tidy and they successfully bullied us. At 3-2 I would have taken Gunter off (He looked Sunday league today) and played three at the back and tried to press them where they did look vulnerable. Today was certainly a case where defensively we were so poor that we had to attack as much as possible.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Maddison was supposed to be able to influence a game, Watson supposed to bring nous and wisdom.
    Gunter is not a central defender, he was a liability this evening, and senior or not Matthews is in better form and if we get defenders back Gunter is benched.
    Williams is less effective than JFC, hope JFC is available soon.
    Bowyer needs a dispassionate and unsentimental look at the squad...oh and some central defenders back!
    Bit harsh on Gunter... he's in form at RB. Need at least one CB in as you say, though.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I love how Maddison seems to be getting so much vitriol. He's an attacking player, he didn't cost us the goals, the two at the back did.

I'm not excusing how poor he is, but people are frothing at the bit to have a go at him for tonight.
  • Options
    My only comment on that shambles is at least I’m in the draw for the Range Rover 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These stats don't tell the whole story, but another game during which we have dominated possession and not won. 

(The low battery warning seems very fitting)

• Options
    The defence lost us the game today, but Maddison really doesn't give off the impression he wants to be here, so frustrating as he clearly has talent. Hopefully he picks up over the next month, but Morgan should be starting ahead of him Saturday.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Bows would have learnt a lot tonight. He's shown some players a tad much loyalty and other's too much tough love. Time to find the middle ground. 

Am glad he's as pissed off as us. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I disagree that it is a match to forget. 
    For me it’s the opposite. 
    A team wins 6 on the spin and keeps 7 clean sheets, then goes away to a mid table side and scrapes a draw. 
    Four days later, they concede four to the bottom side. 

I suspect there is an issue among the lads. 
    Happy to be proved wrong, but we have gone from playing Championship football to playing dog shite, so for me - something is rotten in SE7. 
    Results like that happen though

Two years ago we lost 5-3 @ Scunthorpe, 2-1 at home to Coventry and then promptly beat Barnsley - Under Powell we got shell shocked by Colchester at the Valley when we hadnt lost all season before losing 4-2 at home to Notts County

Same with Curbishley and his 12 (?) game unbeaten run in 99/00 when Swindon came to the Valley
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I love how Maddison seems to be getting so much vitriol. He's an attacking player, he didn't cost us the goals, the two at the back did.

I'm not excusing how poor he is, but people are frothing at the bit to have a go at him for tonight.
    With the exception of Chuks and Albie, they all deserve vitriol
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    He doesn't need to play all those players. Yes Morgan is improving game by game and should have started. Gunter and Pratley have done well previously but I think the problem was more Gunter today than Pratley. I'd probably consider Pearce  and Pratley on Saturday or as you say Pearce and Barker.

Agree with Oggy that Bowyer made it too complicated. He needs to learn from this and I'm sure he will. What I think Bowyer does need to take away from tonight is that if it isn't working change it. That doesn't always have to be changing players, but stop passing from the back and go longer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, that was a waste of a tenner. Absolute shambles - did we ever pass the ball forward in the first half? All you heard from the match commentators was ‘Charlton play it backwards’ or ‘Charlton play it sideways’. How many goals have we conceded by fannying about at the back? Surely we have to do better on Saturday.
  • Options
    Pratley/Watson/Gunter does not work when you are playing from the back. 

Maatsen was poor but gets isolated so often.

Think this system is desperately missing a Cullen kind of figure. One that can retain possession and use it as well.

Looking at the cap I think we’ll pretty much have to use this squad going forward, so we need a lot of luck and potentially a tweaked system if we want to stay up there.

Oh well, on to Saturday 
  • Options
    Maatsen was like Bambi on ice, simple change your boots mate. 

It’s all well and good saying Pearce should have started given the result, but two calamity first half goals were not predicted. What was Amos doing for the second. 

Maddison keeps trying that extra touch. Disappointed he went straight down the tunnel.

After the year we’ve all had I’m just ‘Meh and not outraged rather than 90% on Twitter. 

We go again Saturday, I suspect Pearce will start. I hope Maatsen has new boots and Chucks and Washington start. 
  • Options
    Team sheet teased me into believing we were in for a show. Names on paper mean nothing and our defending tonight was fit for Sunday park football sadly. Only bright light is that Lee has more than enough bodies in the squad to shake it up. Expect Pearce in at the weekend.
  • Options
    So do we think we can slow the game down and play it from the back at our own pace, without any pressure or issues? I just don't get it. It was like hitting option Z after 2 minutes.
  • Options
    also what has Bowyer got against wide midfielders or wingers?  Maatsen and Matthews had no support when going forward (apart from when Morgan came on) - Maddison is a total waste of space and I don't know who ws supposed to be on the left side of midfield as there was never anyone there
    It did look like we missed a proper left-sided player (Doughty). That's one area we will have to strengthen in January, if Bowyer doesn't want to play Williams there. Give Frederic Bulot a call....

Need those two centre-backs to return or at least try Pearce and Barker. Get Gunter back to right-back...he was good there prior to the injuries. 

And get some striking back-up for Washington and Aneke. I feel for Bogle and I can't fault his effort but he actually looked like a non-league striker tonight and that's what he might be (I hope it comes good for him, I really do). 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    john3 said:
    Albie
    He's making himself undroppable apart from when he does need to be rested

But for me thats not the same thing as being dropped
    He starts Saturday, without a shadow of doubt.
    Was probably Bowyer's plan

Rest today as it was only Burton and we shouldnt have needed him to get us out of trouble tonight

Play Saturday against Ipswich as Gilbey certainly wont be ready for another start

Will no doubt be rested again with MK Dons visiting the Valley next Wednesday