Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

Comments

• Options
    I disagree that it is a match to forget. 
    For me it’s the opposite. 
    A team wins 6 on the spin and keeps 7 clean sheets, then goes away to a mid table side and scrapes a draw. 
    Four days later, they concede four to the bottom side. 

I suspect there is an issue among the lads. 
    Happy to be proved wrong, but we have gone from playing Championship football to playing dog shite, so for me - something is rotten in SE7. 
    Or missing the two centre backs that have been immense so far.
    I don’t think there’s anything rotten.
  • Options
    I'm not even going to talk about our display . 

Well done Burton. I can't believe how good we made them look  they were.

• Options
    No excuses for that display defensively - I hope Lee acknowledges that and doesn't trot out injuries to excuse it.

We will get injuries this season and he has to manage this. We were playing an out of form team who are bottom of L1 and we have to do better. 

Another defensive display like that on Saturday will lose any remaining momentum. 

A very disappointing night but hopefully a one off. Certainly the most farcical game we've had since the 5-3 loss against Scunthorpe. We had a far stronger team back then.
  • Options
    I'm not even going to talk about our display . 

Well done Burton. I can't believe how good we made them look  they were.

I can in a way as they should have three wins against us historically not just the one

Every time we've played them they've looked by far the better side - I just dont understand how they were bottom of the League
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Egg on the faces for all the young know alls on this forum tonight. Grossly over milking certain players, reading results off of league positions, not realising that without Famewo/Inniss we are really nothing special in this league etc etc.

Lack of goal threat, trying to shoehorn unfit players like Maddison and Gilbey into the side, not starting centre halves and putting them on the bench. 442 was a crap selection with that midfield. A good manager would have changed it after 15 minutes.

Keep the LOL's coming as per Saturday but I say it again, there is no room for an individual player like Maddison in this TEAM. Walking down the tunnel when subbed just sums this prima donna up. A player that divides the dressing room. Scandalous performance/behaviour from him tonight.
    when we didn't sign him last year after his attitude causing the Peterborough manager freezing him out the side i thought we've dodged a bullet there. just didn't think he was the type of player we need/want. seems as if Bowyer believes he can turn him around. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Only positive was there were no fans there who have to trek back on a cold November night having watched that shit.

The scoreline looks bad because of how many goals we gifted them. To offer up a 2 nil lead with those hilariously bad individual errors was unforgivable. Glad Smyth got off the mark by forcing it in from up close and Anekes goal was superb. Ultimate super sub.

Gunter and Pratley can't be a centre back partnership again. Sooner see Barker start there alongside Pearce at the weekend, need some proper CB's in there. Get some minutes into Oshilaja if not, but can't have two centre backs on the bench whilst we shed 4 goals. 

Morgan has had a couple of very good games in the pizza cup and at Gillingham and has been rewarded with being dropped. Changed the game when he came on, got an assist, passed to a Charlton player and got an assist for his troubles. Has to be a regular starter now, stop pissing about with him Bowyer.

Typical Charlton, can't decide if we showed Burton too much respect or no respect at all, because they were well up for it and we weren't. Interesting to see which of us or Ipswich can respond to being beat.
    I don’t think Morgan was dropped, it’s Bows and his rotation.
    But he's only played one game?? Surely he could've started Saturday then Tuesday, even Adam Matthews managed it
  • Options
    Top two.... my arse
  • Options
    Was half watching but that was poor, similar to gillingham, we lack pace in the side to make things happen imo. And we're missing the center backs 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MattF said:
    Only positive was there were no fans there who have to trek back on a cold November night having watched that shit.

The scoreline looks bad because of how many goals we gifted them. To offer up a 2 nil lead with those hilariously bad individual errors was unforgivable. Glad Smyth got off the mark by forcing it in from up close and Anekes goal was superb. Ultimate super sub.

Gunter and Pratley can't be a centre back partnership again. Sooner see Barker start there alongside Pearce at the weekend, need some proper CB's in there. Get some minutes into Oshilaja if not, but can't have two centre backs on the bench whilst we shed 4 goals. 

Morgan has had a couple of very good games in the pizza cup and at Gillingham and has been rewarded with being dropped. Changed the game when he came on, got an assist, passed to a Charlton player and got an assist for his troubles. Has to be a regular starter now, stop pissing about with him Bowyer.

Typical Charlton, can't decide if we showed Burton too much respect or no respect at all, because they were well up for it and we weren't. Interesting to see which of us or Ipswich can respond to being beat.
    I don’t think Morgan was dropped, it’s Bows and his rotation.
    He has to rotate though - If he doesnt he's playing Russian Roulette with an injury crisis like last year

A bit like how he had to keep playing Inniss and Famewo as there was no other Centre-Back options...
  • Options
    We lost because the make shift centre halves were found out. Bowyer was out thought by Buxton, their high press was making it very uncomfortable for our back four and we didn't change tactics until we were 2 down. 

You can have a preferred way of playing, but if it isn't working, you have to change it. Before they scored I was calling for it to be changed by bypassing the press with longer balls. The accident that happened was waiting to happen.

Not the end of the world, but give Buxton credit. Their play was tidy and they successfully bullied us. At 3-2 I would have taken Gunter off (He looked Sunday league today) and played three at the back and tried to press them where they did look vulnerable. Today was certainly a case where defensively we were so poor that we had to attack as much as possible.
    But the first 2 goals weren't because we had makeshift CBs. Indeed you'd have thought an international RB and a midfielder would be more comfortable on the ball than the likes of Pearce and Deji. They were gifts from individual errors
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty concerning that Bogle was subbed after 30 minutes for tactical reasons, when our other target man striker Aneke is made of glass.
  • Options
    Poor showing from midfield until Albie came on. Very poor from defence. Burton had us sussed. That was terrible. No one showed for the ball until Albie came on either. 
    Terrible mistakes leading to goals from Gunther and Amos. Lack of focus, an off day for Maatsen, Gilbey, Maddison, Watson, Shinnie all various degrees of anonymous. Don't know if Bogle was injured or taken off tactically, but this game wasn't lost in attack. Hopefully a wake up call. 
    I get Maatsen is talented, but tonight he played worse than Purrington does usually. He was obviously having a shocker by his normal standards. Ipswich have been on a bit of a bad run, they'll be over the moon watching that, we're there for the taking if we don't change what we're doing. 
  • Options
    If Bogle wasn't injured the sub should have been Gilbey and play two up top. This was always a game where we were going to have to score a few.
  • Options
    Pretty concerning that Bogle was subbed after 30 minutes for tactical reasons, when our other target man striker Aneke is made of glass.
    That tells you how bad Bogle was in those 30 minutes. 
  • Options
    Apologies for tipping Cafc to win.

We gave 4 terrible goals away and the only inference is we are missing 2 proper bona fide CB's in Inniss and Famewo. Pearce must've been disappointed not to get a game 

The line up seem wrong after just a few minutes. Burton had time on the ball and the passing was poor from early doors.

Morgan and Aneke were our best players by far and the six wins and clean sheets seem a world away. 

The first two goals were shockers.
    Both Gunter and Amos have been solid this season, but Sunday park football errors tonight. 

Washington at least looks like a striker when he comes on even if he couldn't find the net.

Keystone cops meets the Nigerian ice skating team was our defensive work.
    Totally baffled how Maddison and Shinnie were second best in midfield. Gilbey had a decent second half but seemed to be played in the wrong position 1st half.

To win Ugly is acceptable on occasions but to lose ugly to the bottom team is not.
    Only one defeat but have our top 2 chances gone for a Burton.

We need a response.

• Options
    Sage said:
    Egg on the faces for all the young know alls on this forum tonight. Grossly over milking certain players, reading results off of league positions, not realising that without Famewo/Inniss we are really nothing special in this league etc etc.

Lack of goal threat, trying to shoehorn unfit players like Maddison and Gilbey into the side, not starting centre halves and putting them on the bench. 442 was a crap selection with that midfield. A good manager would have changed it after 15 minutes.

Keep the LOL's coming as per Saturday but I say it again, there is no room for an individual player like Maddison in this TEAM. Walking down the tunnel when subbed just sums this prima donna up. A player that divides the dressing room. Scandalous performance/behaviour from him tonight.
    You’ve got a problem.

Why you even need to bring any other fans into your post shows how you see yourself in comparison to any other.

We are all equal on here and no ones opinion is greater than another. We can disagree on subjects and how we see the game. That’s fine, like tonight we were awful overall. And I would agree Bowyer got the shape wrong at the beginning.

But there is still no need to mention any other fan, especially younger fans on this forum. We have an ageing fanbase as it is, comments like yours doesn’t help anything.
    Ignore him. He's doing his usual and is looking for a reaction.
  • Options
    I do love Bowyer, BUT I do question what he says at times. Some of the players must think he’s too harsh 
  • Options
    I disagree that it is a match to forget. 
    For me it’s the opposite. 
    A team wins 6 on the spin and keeps 7 clean sheets, then goes away to a mid table side and scrapes a draw. 
    Four days later, they concede four to the bottom side. 

I suspect there is an issue among the lads. 
    Happy to be proved wrong, but we have gone from playing Championship football to playing dog shite, so for me - something is rotten in SE7. 
    I was wondering the same myself. Perhaps
    something will come out.
    Was the squabbling over the penalty on Saturday suggestive of a bit of ill feeling? Tension in the dressing room?
    Probably bollocks.