Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Maradona dies aged 60

Comments

• Options
    A cheat who said he didn't cheat when he obviously did. Also a liar and drug taker who was booted out of a world cup for using drugs to boast his performance.  

If you admire that more fool you.

Nothing to like there. Compared to Pele . You just can't.  

We can compare them based on their footballing ability as they're both footballers. He may not have been the nicest person on the planet, like a significant number of footballers, but as a footballer he was amongst the best
    He cheated...that ruins football but he then denied it...liar and cheat. I don't  admire that . If you want you can . To me is pointless having rules of we admire those who can't play within them .
    Thierry Henry cheated against Ireland,deliberate handball lead to the winning goal,rarely mentioned,If Maradona had done that to any other country nobody would have given a toss.Cheating is now part of the game,all the time players dive,feign injury,try to get opponents sent off,Lineker and Owen both went down very easily in world cup matches.Cyclists,athletes take drugs,none of this is right but Maradona was not the only guy who ever cheated on a sports field.(I remember Garth Crooks punching one in a Selhurst Park).
    v Norwich? Fake diving header? (or is my memory crap)
    100% this happened (at The Sainsbury End). I was stood level with it and the Norwich players rightly went mad. I liked Crooks but went off him after that. 
  • Options
    I haven't watched the hand ball goal for 20 odd years. For me it would be like watching all the Millwall goals scored against cafc and I don't need to, as I still wake up screaming in the night from nightmares as the spanner goals are on a loop in my subconscious. Especially the one goal up, two 1 down match when Solly got the Red card and Good Friday turned into the original Black Friday. 

Ray Clemence was quicker on his feet than Shilton and was fast off his line. Ray would have punched the ball away before Maradona had a sniff.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Simonsen said:
    A cheat who said he didn't cheat when he obviously did. Also a liar and drug taker who was booted out of a world cup for using drugs to boast his performance.  

We can compare them based on their footballing ability as they're both footballers. He may not have been the nicest person on the planet, like a significant number of footballers, but as a footballer he was amongst the best
    He cheated...that ruins football but he then denied it...liar and cheat. I don't  admire that . If you want you can . To me is pointless having rules of we admire those who can't play within them .
    Thierry Henry cheated against Ireland,deliberate handball lead to the winning goal,rarely mentioned,If Maradona had done that to any other country nobody would have given a toss.Cheating is now part of the game,all the time players dive,feign injury,try to get opponents sent off,Lineker and Owen both went down very easily in world cup matches.Cyclists,athletes take drugs,none of this is right but Maradona was not the only guy who ever cheated on a sports field.(I remember Garth Crooks punching one in a Selhurst Park).
    v Norwich? Fake diving header? (or is my memory crap)
    100% this happened (at The Sainsbury End). I was stood level with it and the Norwich players rightly went mad. I liked Crooks but went off him after that. 

Normally stood at Sainsbury's end but lots of family there that day and I could see ball was punched in by Garth Crook's with his hand, from my view in the stands on the half way line. 

• Options
    Good story about when Oasis met Maradona...

'We was in Argentina, and we’d done a gig,' Gallagher told Noisey three years ago.

'Next minute we’re sat in the bar having a f***ing drink, and about 30 people come legging it in, like the Ant Hill Mob.

'We were going "Who the f**king hell’s that?" Sting was at the bar crying cos he’d had his f***ing dressing room robbed, and anyway we found out it was Maradona.

'He’d gone upstairs with a load of f***ing madheads, and a load of f***ing, women of the night.

'And we were going like, can we go up and meet him, to the interpreter. And the interpreter said "Alright cool, let me go and square it with them."

'He’s gone up, come back down and gone "Only the Gallagher brothers can go up." So we were like, "laters".

'We steamed up there and there’s loads of f***ing, activity going on, and Maradona’s in the middle of the room doing football tricks with a bottle top.

'And his eyes were f***ing like that [huge], and ours weren’t far off, and I just went like, ‘It’s a bit moody in here, let’s get a quick picture with him and f*** off.

'And he’s sweating his b******s off, and we turn around [to the interpreter] and he says: "He told me to tell you, if yous leave with any of these b*****s, he’ll have you shot."'

• Options
    I haven't watched the hand ball goal for 20 odd years. For me it would be like watching all the Millwall goals scored against cafc and I don't need to, as I still wake up screaming in the night from nightmares as the spanner goals are on a loop in my subconscious. Especially the one goal up, two 1 down match when Solly got the Red card and Good Friday turned into the original Black Friday. 

Ray Clemence was quicker on his feet than Shilton and was fast off his line. Ray would have punched the ball away before Maradona had a sniff.
    No chance he would have got there before that
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Lineker was a great striker, second only to Greaves. Waddle, Hoddle, Barnes etc, great team shame about the goalkeeper. Shilton is lucky people talk about the punch. Bailey & Woods both better options. Wretched goalkeeping, jump, use your hands. It was Shilton that cost England 
    Nothing to do with Maradona “deliberately” palming the ball into the net then?🙄🙄🙄
  • Options
    Lineker was a great striker, second only to Greaves. Waddle, Hoddle, Barnes etc, great team shame about the goalkeeper. Shilton is lucky people talk about the punch. Bailey & Woods both better options. Wretched goalkeeping, jump, use your hands. It was Shilton that cost England 
    Nothing to do with Maradona “deliberately” palming the ball into the net then?🙄🙄🙄
    Footballers cheat and sometimes get away with it - that's life. The ref and the linesman were both pretty useless.

Blaming Shilton is truly bizarre.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn’t realise that Robson dropped Martin after an excellent performance in the previous game for Fenwick. Also Glenn Hoddle gets massively fouled before Maradona picks the ball up for the second goal.
    Fenwick and Palmer, would love to know how either got any caps at all
    Maradona wouldn't have got within 10 yards of the box if Darren Pratley had been playing  ;)

Pratley was just over a year old during the ‘86 World Cup so unless he was incredibly advanced for his age I’m pretty certain Maradona could’ve coped with him.
  • Options
    if im being honest I remember maradona for his handball and post retirement behaviour
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Didn’t realise that Robson dropped Martin after an excellent performance in the previous game for Fenwick. Also Glenn Hoddle gets massively fouled before Maradona picks the ball up for the second goal.
    Fenwick and Palmer, would love to know how either got any caps at all
    Maradona wouldn't have got within 10 yards of the box if Darren Pratley had been playing  ;)

Pratley was just over a year old during the ‘86 World Cup so unless he was incredibly advanced for his age I’m pretty certain Maradona could’ve coped with him.
    If you're good enough you're old enough  ;)
  • Options
    Widely discussed on here and perhaps i'd feel differently if i'd been old enough to watch the 86 world cup, but for me is he any worse a 'cheat' then Henry for his handball goal? Is he any worse a cheat than someone like Pepe who's spent a career trying to get strikers sent off. Is he worse than someone like Suarez for biting players and racially abusing Evra? Worse than Keane for deliberately assaulting Alf Inge Haaland?

A lot of shit goes on in football.
  • Options
    Widely discussed on here and perhaps i'd feel differently if i'd been old enough to watch the 86 world cup, but for me is he any worse a 'cheat' then Henry for his handball goal? Is he any worse a cheat than someone like Pepe who's spent a career trying to get strikers sent off. Is he worse than someone like Suarez for biting players and racially abusing Evra? Worse than Keane for deliberately assaulting Alf Inge Haaland?

That was Lineker
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Do you apply that to all Charlton and England games? 
    Stupid question...but  I don't  countenance cheats. Whst is the point of rules if scurrilous gits get lauded over as a genius when they behave like him. Drugged up cheat for most of his life. Tell me how many Charlton players you know as bad as him. 
    It’s not a stupid question considering your original statement. It doesn’t matter if someone’s ‘as bad as him’ because according to you, cheating or breaking the rules is abhorrent. Therefore ALL cheating should be viewed the same.
    This is the point I was trying to make earlier. Somebody diving for a penalty is cheating, but many, many players have done that. Including some Charlton and England ones. Giving opponents sly kicks or pulling their shirt is cheating, but many players have done that too.

The most ridiculous thing about the hand of god goal was that he got away with it because it was so ridiculous. That is one of the jobs of the officials, to spot cheating! It is hypocritical to decide one form of cheating, maybe cheating we are guilty of, is better than other forms of cheating, maybe a nasty Argentine is guilty of.

I want England to win a major trophy as much of the next fan. It is wrong to imply that if you respect Maradona as a great footballer you are not being loyal to your country. To be honest, if we won a World Cup final due to a dodgy penalty, I'd be happy about it. 

What I have heard about that game, is England players regretting they did not foul him earlier in his run for the second goal. I regret that too. But isn't that cheating? Some of us call it a good foul when our side commits it! Including, I suspect, some of those still moaning about the great little footballer cheating.
  • Options

I’d say most Ireland fans feel the same animosity towards Henry as some of us do Maradona .
    Suarez is a proper Cnut as well and Keane 
    yes all a bunch of cnuts don’t care how good they are at football 
    the Cnut that fucked me up the most being an England fan is Maradona and he’s the one we’re talking about
    I’m not sure who outcnuts who the most matters . 
  • Options
    Now saying that 3 of the 4 involved, have been killed by ultras.
  • Options
    3 of what 4......it says one fella together with his son.....curious?
  • Options
    3 of what 4......it says one fella together with his son.....curious?
    Others reports saying 4 sacked, not confirmed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was at the Barnsley 6-0 game, very soon after Maggie Thatcher passed away.  There were supporters singing in support of her death.
    F****** disgusting.
    I agree. Someone in our office started singing ,The witch is dead' I am  no Tory fan but  I objected and our boss did too.

I was at the Barnsley 6-0 game, very soon after Maggie Thatcher passed away.  There were supporters singing in support of her death.
    F****** disgusting.
    I agree. Someone in our office started singing ,The witch is dead' I am  no Tory fan but  I objected and our boss did too.
    I saw too many posts on here wishing death on Dushitelet, f*** that.
  • Options

Not after his money either.
  • Options
    The ultras killing the funeral worker is fake news. The video doing the rounds is apparently from months back and is actually of a chef who was murdered.

I absolutely wouldn't bet against this guy turning up dead sometime soon, but they haven't got him yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    https://m.facebook.com/mike.mccabe.5891/posts/10221157752386361

this is Diego in that game getting battered time after time 
  • Options
    Shear rubbish. The drug a using dwarf was never going to head that ball ,especially turning away from it. Shilton was bound to punch it away except Maradona either stuck is hand up to punch it or Shilton.  Then he said it wasn't  cheating. Later he hot banned fromanother World Cup for drug taking. 
    So Shilton on 120 odd caps was not better than other keepers at our disposal. Strange the managers a thought  different. 

He was short, he was not a dwarf :#
  • Options
    Unfathomable mass hysteria in Argentina. Perhaps someone can write a musical............. 
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Unfathomable mass hysteria in Argentina. Perhaps someone can write a musical............. 

Latins do run on emotion.......................apart from my wife.
  • Options
    Messi scored a great goal today, took his shirt off, and was wearing an old Maradona shirt from Newells Old Boys - the team he used to play for and where Messi played as a kid. Pointed to the sky and prayed.

Ref booked him!

Still for me one of, if not the most stupid rule in football.