Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Maradona dies aged 60

Comments

• Options
    He cheated
    He said he would happily cheat against us again
    He openly detested England.
    No class
    Alleged domestic abuse
    Drugs abuse

As a proud Englishman I’m never going to be a fan, irrespective of his undoubted genius. From the amount of comments on here in the past from people who have no interest in England, I’m not surprised many don’t mind him and would not get the dislike some may hold.

Always sorry for peoples families but personally would genuinely be more upset to hear the dog next door has passed.
    So presumably if you're a fan of Maradona as a footballer it means you're not a proud Englishman? 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    RIP Diego, amazing as you were ‘86 still grates. 

PS I cried out loud at the faux Shilton tweet, proper guffawed
  • Options
    I thought you had bid me goodnight. 
    Anyway life's too short.
    Have a good evening 
    Especially if you are @ElfsborgAddick
    I was thinking that in August Dicky.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Stig said:
    One of the most iconic football photos.

It’s a brilliant pic and absolutely sums up Maradona playing to a tee.

But I’ve always suspected the origin of the photo was a short free kick played right to Maradona, causing the (Belgium?) wall to break up.

anyone know?
    Definitely Belgium.  Not really thought about how those players came to be in that position, but your free kick explanation sounds highly plausible to me. No-one, not even Maradona, ever had six men marking them. To do so would mean there were five players running around unmarked, that would be football suicide.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/05/diego-maradona-belgium-famous-photo

This article explains it nicely.
  • Options
    Not at all, you feel how you feel but for me personally his footballing ability is irrelevant vs the man he was and what he represents to me and that’s fuelled by my dislike off anyone or anything that openly dislikes my Country. 

• Options
    Not at all, you feel how you feel but for me personally his footballing ability is irrelevant vs the man he was and what he represents to me and that’s fuelled by my dislike off anyone or anything that openly dislikes my Country. 

Based on his footballing ability he was a great player.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Greatest to ever kick a ball

could watch videos of him all day, the famous clip that’s always on twitter of him warming up is superb 

He single handedly turned good/average teams into great ones and winners 

I noticed what you did there  :)

• Options
    As most of us here, I always supported the team he played against.
    We knew how great he was.
    We felt that fear every time he had the ball...
    A bit of football died with him.

Only one Diego Armando Maradona
    Thank you little big man for the passion.
    Rest in peace
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    philcafc said:
    Imagine my Scottish family will be upset with this news. Absolutely loved north of the border. 

Anyone ever see get to see him play in the flesh?
    I was at the England 3 Argentina 1 game at Wembley in 1980 - I believe Maradona was only 19 then and I would imagine it was possibly his first appearance outside Argentina. I remember that David Johnson got 2 for England and the crowd was over 90,000
    I was at that one, Phil - I remember Maradona going past about four England defender and sliding the ball inches past the post.

It's difficult to say who was the best player across different eras, but he was certainly right up there with Pele and Cruyff.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    philcafc said:
    Imagine my Scottish family will be upset with this news. Absolutely loved north of the border. 

Anyone ever see get to see him play in the flesh?
    I was at the England 3 Argentina 1 game at Wembley in 1980 - I believe Maradona was only 19 then and I would imagine it was possibly his first appearance outside Argentina. I remember that David Johnson got 2 for England and the crowd was over 90,000
    I was at that one, Phil - I remember Maradona going past about four England defender and sliding the ball inches past the post.

It's difficult to say who was the best player across different eras, but he was certainly right up there with Pele and Cruyff.
    Impossible to decide.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    We have lost one of the absolute greatest footballers of all time. His struggles with alcohol and cocaine are a tragedy. The Hand of God was infamous, shameless cheating - The Goal of the Century was genius, peerless ability. He carried Argentina to a World Cup and simply lit up football for the duration of his career.

Some of the stuff on here and elsewhere has been disgraceful. Lineker referenced the "hands of God" in his "tribute" Tweet; the Falklands are trending on Twitter; and so on. I assume those revelling in Maradona's passing will also be mocking Gazza's substance abuse problems when he eventually moves to the next life.

This is a devastating piece of news and if you are still so bitter over one incident 34 years ago that means you'll take joy in a man's passing, take a long look in the mirror.

RIP Diego Maradona.
    Well said that man.
  • Options
    I’m sorry but the Lineker thing was totally respectful and was a brilliant nod to a rival. They’ve met several times since then and they clearly got along. People getting ‘offended’ that didn’t even have the relationship that they did can wrap up. Ridiculous.
    Cool. I'll take that back, but none of the rest of it. I've just seen this, which is lovely:

• Options
    https://twitter.com/footballtips/status/1331643784401195008?s=21

Just the beginning of that meeting. You won’t find me sticking up for Lineker too often but his ‘hands of god’ comment was a heartfelt one. Amazing that people can take it any other way from someone that clearly had deep admiration for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I’m sorry but the Lineker thing was totally respectful and was a brilliant nod to a rival. They’ve met several times since then and they clearly got along. People getting ‘offended’ that didn’t even have the relationship that they did can wrap up. Ridiculous.
    Cool. I'll take that back, but none of the rest of it. I've just seen this, which is lovely:

Okay cool. Some people are way over the top but if you haven’t seen when GL goes to see him I urge you too. It’s class.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    No surprise and I bet there is a lot more of thins kind of behaviour if you were within his inner circle.

In today’s climate does this change anything for those who refuse to hear a bad word? Or is footballing ability more important than racism?

@PaddyP17 does this change your opinion expressed earlier?
  • Options
    I think the references to the Falklands is because DM himself was quite outspoken about the subject 
  • Options
    as was Ronaldo 

• Options
    His time in Napoli is a right eye opener. Mixing with the mafia. It’s actually one of the main reasons he went so off the rails. The drugs and high life. He got properly carried away with it until he couldn’t get out of it. Proper Goodfellas stuff.
    A genius on the pitch. God given talent. And hand.
    RIP
  • Options
    No surprise and I bet there is a lot more of thins kind of behaviour if you were within his inner circle.

In today’s climate does this change anything for those who refuse to hear a bad word? Or is footballing ability more important than racism?

@PaddyP17 does this change your opinion expressed earlier?
    Well, that's put a sour taste in my mouth for sure. I knew he was no angel, obviously, and an extremely complex man blighted by substance abuse issues. This particular incident had escaped my attention, and goes to show that very little is black or white.

Even so, a sad loss.
  • Options
    Sorry to see how this thread has turned rancorous, but I’m sure it isnt the only one tonight. 

I’ll just say that if I hadnt seen the Maradona film I probably wouldnt even have opened the thread. I  really urge everyone to watch it, its one of the finest sport films I’ve seen, from the director of Senna. If you thought the bloke was just a bit of a knob, as I did, it’ll make you think a bit. And you will see the genius, not least in the clip of him on a waterlogged Napoli training pitch. 

RIP.
    Is that film available on Netflix or something Prague?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    SID said:
    Sorry to see how this thread has turned rancorous, but I’m sure it isnt the only one tonight. 

I’ll just say that if I hadnt seen the Maradona film I probably wouldnt even have opened the thread. I  really urge everyone to watch it, its one of the finest sport films I’ve seen, from the director of Senna. If you thought the bloke was just a bit of a knob, as I did, it’ll make you think a bit. And you will see the genius, not least in the clip of him on a waterlogged Napoli training pitch. 

RIP.
    Is that film available on Netflix or something Prague?
    Youtube it, Maradona Story.