Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Maradona dies aged 60

Comments

• Options
    Jints said:
    Imagine my Scottish family will be upset with this news. Absolutely loved north of the border. 

Anyone ever see get to see him play in the flesh?
    I saw him at the San Siro in the opening game of Italia 1990, the loss to Cameroon. Some appalling flying tackles by the latter, much worse than the hand of god in terms of cheating but that didn't stop me cheering Cameroonians until I was hoarse. 

Amazing footballer, I don't think I've ever seen anyone with his balance. 
    Low centre of gravity and muscular physique. A nightmare to play against at his best. 
  • Options
    I hated him up until last year when I saw the documentary. What a player, nit just his skill etc but if you watch how he was absolutely butchered game after game, people literally trying to chop him in half and he either rode the tackles or just got straight up without a fucking word. The fella went right up in my estimation.

plus more gear now for every one else, so every cloud.

Like a lot of skilful players he got hacked to bits and had little protection. As you say he just got on with it.
  • Options
    RIP
    Like others on here, saw him at the Football League versus Rest of The World in 1987 (with Barcelona's Gary Lineker playing for ROW). there were only 61,000 there and pleased that I saw him play in the flesh.

Also like others watched the documentary film on him earlier in the year, his own flaws and addictive tendencies accelerated in Naples with Mafia involvement.

A life well lived....
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I’m convinced the best, most skilful player of all time. There’s definitely a footballing class associated with a left footer above a right, but I’ve never seen a player’s foot have such a command of the ball. 

Probably the only player I’ve seen single handedly control a game at the highest level. 

Football genius. All other thoughts on him being a cheat etc are valid but secondary imo
    You’re not left footed are you? 
  • Options
    No!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SID said:
    Good riddance
    Good grief! Because of a hand ball? A genius with a football RIP. 

If you think he cheated just the once you are naïve. How many of those wonderful performances were fuelled on illegal substances. Remember the camera stare at one world cup? He was a thoroughly obnoxious man who surrounded himself with obnoxious people. But because he was good at football we can overlook all that. What a role model he was. But because he came from a poor background we can overlook all of that.
    And just because he may or may not have cheated a few times in a game(yes we all love football but lets remember it is a game) you are glad that a man has lost his life

Wow I actually pitty you, that you can hold that much of a grudge for someone you have never met that you are actually cheering their death.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    A flawed and troubled character, but today I choose to focus on his football.

In my opinion not quite the greatest of all time but I accept he would rightly be in that argument among people who love the game. In my lifetime he is in my top 3.

He will be talked about as long as football is talked about. A sublime footballer, limitless skill, physical strength, vision, passion - all in abundance.

RIP Diego
  • Options
    Just watched the director of the Maradona documentary on C4 news - will definitely give it a watch. Such a complex life...
  • Options
    One of the most iconic football photos.

His teammates must have been screaming for the ball, there wouldn’t have been anyone marking half of them.
  • Options

His teammates must have been screaming for the ball, there wouldn’t have been anyone marking half of them.
    To be fair it was at half time. 
  • Options
    I’m too young to have seen him play during his career, but I’ve seen countless videos and the guy was a footballing genius. My old man absolutely hated him 😂, but as naughty as that handball was, he had the brains and audacity to do it. One moment does not define a footballer, look at Henry against Ireland. He also absolutely lived his life to the full, which has eventually caught up with him. 
    I think most people are amazed he made it to 60...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Over half a team shitting themselves in the face of the greatest footballer ever.
    Neeeer, he did a handball and took cocaine drugs
    Aaah, shuddup you heathens.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Fuck him 
    Horrible England hating little cheating drug addict .

If I offend anyone with this post 

Tough 
    Exactly what I expected from you.
  • Options

It’s a brilliant pic and absolutely sums up Maradona playing to a tee.

But I’ve always suspected the origin of the photo was a short free kick played right to Maradona, causing the (Belgium?) wall to break up.

anyone know?
  • Options

It’s a brilliant pic and absolutely sums up Maradona playing to a tee.

But I’ve always suspected the origin of the photo was a short free kick played right to Maradona, causing the (Belgium?) wall to break up.

anyone know?
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/05/diego-maradona-belgium-famous-photo

• Options

Such a pleasant individual 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Greatest footballer ever ?
    Pele, Messi, Ronaldo and Maradona equal second but Messi has never emulated the other three for his country.

The clear winner for me was Roy Race:
    Over 55-year, he won the league 10 times, the FA Cup 10 times, European Cup three times, Cup Winners Cup four times, UEFA Cup strangely only once, and the World Club Championships twice. He even managed England. He scored 436 goals for Melchester and is the record goal scorer in English football.

• Options
    Fuck him 
    Horrible England hating little cheating drug addict cunt.

If I offend anyone with this post 

Tough 
    Exactly what I expected from you.
    Glad I  never disappointed you.

Any fucker that hates England Will always be supported by a prick  like you.
    You really have anger issues don't you and a rare gift for language. .