Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Maradona dies aged 60

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    MrOneLung said:
    the only player who carried a team to world cup victory by himself

That 86 team was average in my opinion
    Agreed. He got an even worse team to the 1990 final as well

That will always be the (slight) failing in Messi's career to me, his lack of major success away from a superb Barcelona team, whereas Maradona carried Argentina to success and did it with Napoli too
  • Options
    Not a fan, but still very sad. RIP - far too young. 
  • Options
    Special, remarkable, player who will hopefully be remembered for his football and not some of his off field activities. 
  • Options
    George Best died same day 15 years ago apparently
  • Options
    I'm not sure if he was still a drug addict, but he was being treated for alcoholism.
    He was never going to live to a ripe old age.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP, wonderful player but a flawed genius.

Was lucky to see him play once at Wembley in '87 to celebrate the FL centenary.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    the only player who carried a team to world cup victory by himself

That 86 team was average in my opinion
    Disagree.

Maradonna was the star but they had lots other very good players Ruggeri, Passarella, Valdano and Burruchaga.

Would they have won it without him?  Most likely not.  Were the rest average?  Not by a long shot.  As Messi has shown great players need more than 10 other workers to win trophies.
  • Options
    Broke me and I blame him for fucking with my head in 1986 and i couldn't study properly and fucked my o-levels up 
    Will always be a cheating cnut to me but a footballer of the highest quality and a pleasure to watch .

RIP Diego you footballing god 
    This.

RIP.
  • Options
    The obvious parallels of great footballers and the addictions that brought them to an early demise - there was only six months difference in the age at which they passed away
  • Options
    A horrible coincidence. And indeed both players had their similarities, geniuses on the pitch, combined with problems off the pitch
  • Options
    Enormously gifted player.
    Never forgave him for '86.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP one of the greatest 
  • Options
    Also a legend at Napoli.
  • Options
    Great player. Big cheat. Was never going to live a long life but lived a star studded, bright one.

RIP
  • Options
    Very sad to hear this news. He was a truly gifted player and talented individual. His hand of God goal was just plain cheating, but some of his other goals were outstanding. RIP sir, god bless you. 
  • Options
    Cheat, Junkie, wound me up no end!  But could he play! Flawed genius!  RIP, 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would rate Pele higher personally but marginal and Maradona was undeniably one of the greatest players ever. Shame he tarnished his reputation with blatant cheating but genius is often flawed unfortunately.

RIP
  • Options
    Never forgave him for WC in 1986

I think the whole 'hand of god' thing did him no favours and made him believe he could get away with anything.

Unfortunately too many people around him agreed and allowed him to.

A sad man
  • Options
    I've been lucky enough to be in Naples twice this year and turning so many street corners there are still so many murals and posters around dedicated to him, a total god to them. 

RIP to one of the greatest footballers there has ever been.

• Options
    Good riddance
  • Options
    A truly great player - can't say that about many. At his best he was unplayable.

He lit the game up and yes his cheating did p*** me off. 

Surprised me he got to 60 given his lifestyle.

RIP. Definitely one of the best players the game has seen.
  • Options
    read the article from the athletic dated 18 July 2020. It’s based on that game !! England totally battered him. Elbows to the head and two footed challenges.  It justifies his hand of god goal. If you can do read it it’s a great article.