Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diego Maradona dies aged 60

Comments

• I've got mixed feelings. He was an amazing player in his day, but it's hard to forget that goal against England.
  • Dizzle said:

Sweary tweet image in spoiler. Don’t click if easily offended

I'm offended by how unfunny this is.
  • Maradona cheated and got away with it. Maybe the ref should have spotted it?

There's been plenty of cheating in the English game as far as I remember. 
  • As good a player as he was, his drugs cheating and the hand of God are what I will remember him for.
  • Getting away with cheating doesn’t validate it, it’s still wrong no matter the circumstance. To validate it by blaming a referee is laughable.

Either way, RIP to an exceptional footballer
  • He had many issues off the pitch and it's hard to forgive the hand of God goal, but no doubting he was one of best players ever. RIP
  • RIP.  Best footballer of all time imo.  2020 has been miserable.

Saw him play in 1987 at Wembley for Rest of the World v Football League in the centenary game and he was a level above the other 21 players many of whom were world class.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Imagine my Scottish family will be upset with this news. Absolutely loved north of the border. 

Anyone ever see get to see him play in the flesh?
    My Dad claims he was at Hampden the night Maradona scored his first goal for Argentina. I think around 2,000,000 Scotsmen also claim to have been there, but I think my Dad is telling the truth. 
  • Dizzle said:

Sweary tweet image in spoiler. Don’t click if easily offended

Thankfully it appears to be a fake tweet unless Shilton has deleted ut
  • Great player.
    Sad day.
  • edited November 2020
    A Football genius but el loco, even his supporters would agree on that.

I can never forget the "hand of God" non goal that was given. (That's why some form of VAR has to be used for gross errors like that) Maradona showed in that match he was a cheat and also he was a genius with a football at his feet. What a paradox in one football match.

In a parallel universe the hand ball was spotted and disallowed. Maradona is later fouled on the half way line as his amazing dribble started.
    England win and...

Football wise Maradona is up there with Pele, Best, Cruyff, Messi and Ronaldo.
    On the pitch he was magic but personally I found him boring and tragic off the pitch. I guess he needed to constantly be on a high to replicate his feeling on the football field.

RIP Diego if I wasn't English I may have been a fan.   

No more than most other footballers, every player that dives is a cheat, how about the handball from Viv Busby for Stoke against us in the 70s that knocked us out of the league cup. He just punched the ball in. That pissed me off more than the Maradona goal. (I'm not one to bear a grudge though  :D ) How about Thierry Henry's blatant handball for France that led to Republic of Ireland being knocked out of the world cup.
    Players that collapse as though they've been nutted to get opponents sent off. I really don't get the Maradona is a cheat when nobody else is ever mentioned, bizarre !

RIP Maradona ..... One of the best ever
  • Laddick01 said:
    Getting away with cheating doesn’t validate it, it’s still wrong no matter the circumstance. To validate it by blaming a referee is laughable.

Either way, RIP to an exceptional footballer
    I'm not validating it. I'm just making the point about the OTT reaction and how fans often turn a blind eye when their players cheat. The hypocrisy is what p***as me off.

I hate cheating whoever does it but I can't understand why so many turn a blind eye when it suits them.

Cheating has been in the game since it started whether we like it or not.
  • If true, very sad.
    He lived life to the full.
    I think that was the problem.
  • Sad about this. One the best if not THE best footballer ever.

Yes, we know about the Hand of God but people forget how we and everybody else tried to kick lumps out of him. 53 times he was fouled in that World Cup (a record by a long chalk) and that obviously doesn't count the many times he stayed on his feet while being fouled. Because apparently kicking people isn't cheating.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Imagine my Scottish family will be upset with this news. Absolutely loved north of the border. 

I was at the England 3 Argentina 1 game at Wembley in 1980 - I believe Maradona was only 19 then and I would imagine it was possibly his first appearance outside Argentina. I remember that David Johnson got 2 for England and the crowd was over 90,000
  • Good riddance
    Bit unnecessary. We all know what he did and how flawed he was but this isn't the time. 

why? because his friends and family might read CL and be upset? some people need to grow up a bit
  • SID said:
    Good riddance
    Good grief! Because of a hand ball? A genius with a football RIP. 

If you think he cheated just the once you are naïve. How many of those wonderful performances were fuelled on illegal substances. Remember the camera stare at one world cup? He was a thoroughly obnoxious man who surrounded himself with obnoxious people. But because he was good at football we can overlook all that. What a role model he was. But because he came from a poor background we can overlook all of that.
    If we judge Maradona as a footballer he was a great player. There are plenty of obnoxious characters in football.

I'm sure many of the greatest players were no angels off the pitch. I'll remember them for their football.

• Good riddance
    Nice
  • SID said:
    Good riddance
    Good grief! Because of a hand ball? A genius with a football RIP. 

If you think he cheated just the once you are naïve. How many of those wonderful performances were fuelled on illegal substances. Remember the camera stare at one world cup? He was a thoroughly obnoxious man who surrounded himself with obnoxious people. But because he was good at football we can overlook all that. What a role model he was. But because he came from a poor background we can overlook all of that.
    Speaking of obnoxious...
  • Good riddance
    Bit unnecessary. We all know what he did and how flawed he was but this isn't the time. 

why? because his friends and family might read CL and be upset? some people need to grow up a bit
    Agreed. 

I saw him at the San Siro in the opening game of Italia 1990, the loss to Cameroon. Some appalling flying tackles by the latter, much worse than the hand of god in terms of cheating but that didn't stop me cheering Cameroonians until I was hoarse. 

Amazing footballer, I don't think I've ever seen anyone with his balance. 
  • George Best and Maradona died at 59 and 60 on the 25th of November, 15 years apart;
    They were born with a fantastic football talent which came to fruition. 

They were both adrenaline junkies which in George's case included alcohol and lots of sex. In Diego case drugs and drink.  Have no idea if George was into drugs or Diego into Miss World's !

The reason they have died young is because of their choices. But they packed a lot of life into their six Decades; even if it was all about  self gratification.