Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Maradona dies aged 60

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    A cheat who said he didn't cheat when he obviously did. Also a liar and drug taker who was booted out of a world cup for using drugs to boast his performance.  

If you admire that more fool you.

Nothing to like there. Compared to Pele . You just can't.  

We can compare them based on their footballing ability as they're both footballers. He may not have been the nicest person on the planet, like a significant number of footballers, but as a footballer he was amongst the best
    He cheated...that ruins football but he then denied it...liar and cheat. I don't  admire that . If you want you can . To me is pointless having rules of we admire those who can't play within them .
    Thierry Henry cheated against Ireland,deliberate handball lead to the winning goal,rarely mentioned,If Maradona had done that to any other country nobody would have given a toss.Cheating is now part of the game,all the time players dive,feign injury,try to get opponents sent off,Lineker and Owen both went down very easily in world cup matches.Cyclists,athletes take drugs,none of this is right but Maradona was not the only guy who ever cheated on a sports field.(I remember Garth Crooks punching one in a Selhurst Park).
    v Norwich? Fake diving header? (or is my memory crap)
    100% this happened (at The Sainsbury End). I was stood level with it and the Norwich players rightly went mad. I liked Crooks but went off him after that. 
    I posted quite a few pages back that Viv Busby punched the ball in our net when we played Stoke in the league cup back in the 70s. Pretty sure Garth Crooks was playing for Stoke as well so I think it's fair to say let's blame Stoke City Football Club for promoting the punched goal across the football world. Maradona is innocent.
  • Options
    Said last week that it's a shame there are no fans at games. The atmosphere and send off for Maradona would've been incredible in a full Bombonera.
  • Options
    I would love to have seen Nobby Styles marking him.
  • Options
    https://m.facebook.com/mike.mccabe.5891/posts/10221157752386361

this is Diego in that game getting battered time after time 
    Can just imagine the size the chip woulda got to if DM had have used his hand of god against one of the other home nations. He'll always be remembered as a cheat by the majority(?) of England supporters and I dont understand how others cant accept that.

Think it's worth mentioning the amount of pats on the back the Scots got from quite a few England fans, over social media the other week an all.
  • Options
    Tribute at the copa America last night.
    Argentina's first competitive game since his passing
  • Options
    Would've been immense if that had been done (as i guess originally planned) in front of a packed house in Boca's stadium.
  • Options
    Couldn't they just have had a dignified minutes silence? 
  • Options
    First minute felt a bit "look what we can do" rather than a tribute, but the bit with him doing keep-ups was class.
  • Options
    Great video and tribute but how real was that ? 
    The hologram of him doing keeping the ball up isn’t possible is it ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-63327247

VERY generous gift by Lothar Matthäus, who has donated the shirt worn by Maradona in the first half of the1986 final to the Argentine Football Association.
  • Options
    Watched an interesting documentary about him and his life on prime.

I had no idea about his Italian love/hate connection.

Whatever anyone's got to say about him, he did absolutely love football and he was an extraordinary talent.
    His private life was not so private and he made mistakes, but he was only human and we only live once.

If he had modern day TLC psychological backing and help, then it's likely he would have had a more lengthy fufilling career. 

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Watched an interesting documentary about him and his life on prime.

I had no idea about his Italian love/hate connection.

Whatever anyone's got to say about him, he did absolutely love football and he was an extraordinary talent.
    His private life was not so private and he made mistakes, but he was only human and we only live once.

If he had modern day TLC psychological backing and help, then it's likely he would have had a more lengthy fufilling career. 

Cheating fucker.