Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Charlton v AFC Wimbledon | Sat 12 Dec 2020

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    That was the best game this season by a mile not least because I was there. Maddison is a must start player; he and Darren Pratley are my men of the match. So well done Marcus. 
    You should watch the re-run of the game... He wandered a few times leaving Pearce to have to do extra work, enabled them to get off 2 or 3 extra shots. 
    As to be expected slightly as he's not a CB but gotta agree, he wasn't one of our best players. 
  • Options
    He also got sent into next week by Pigott for his goal
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Wow I have missed that feeling. 9 months to wait to get back into The Valley for a game, and we get treated to that! I’ve missed going so much, I just so wish everyone else could’ve been there today to be apart of it. Let’s hope that day is not too far away.

The second half we done exactly what Bowyer said no one else has done to Wimbledon. We steam rolled them. Chuks and Jonny coming on made a huge difference. The ball sticks to the big man and we look so much better when he’s playing. Williams was so unlucky not to have scored twice, but he really was very good. Maatsen in the second half also had a great game, can see him playing further forward as the season goes on if we don’t sign a winger or wide man with pace.

I thought in the second half we got into such great positions so often. We got in behind and down the sides, we looked a real threat. We haven’t had that for a long while really. So that was pleasing to see.

The atmosphere was very good and being honest, my voice now sounds like Barry White! But I really don’t care, just am very happy tonight. Makes writing the preview for Tuesday much easier too. 
     I only managed to watch the last 20mins or so on my phone so can't comment too much but I agree Maatsen looks quite effective pushing forward with Purrington behind him. It could be a short term solution with the Doughty injury.
    Do you/we/anybody think Chucks is always going to be a player that can only manage less minutes than everyone else, or can he get up to a fitness where he can play 90mins a week and not have to be rested or "looked after"?
    Its a shame, as hes such a difference to the team when he plays i just wish he could manage more games. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Can't believe people thought we were that poor in the first half. We we decent (and the better side) except for 10 minute spell just before half time. However we certainly stepped it up second half and then withe subs stepped it up again.
    Having said that best player on the pitch first half was Pigot. Superb exhibition of how to play as CF even ignoring his goal. Impressive the way he didn't celebrate when he scored. How some of the crowd were slagging him off I don't know. Would love to have him back in January. 
    Only real downside of today was seeing Chucks limp off after the warm down holding his hamstring. Don't expect to see him Tuesday chaps!
    Don't tell Covered end that Bogle's got to play 90 minutes against Bristol Rovers as
    CE said he's the worse striker he's seen in 50 years at the valley ! 

Not sure that's true as we've had some poor strikers over the years (as well as some crackers)
  • Options
    I thought we played well all game except for the 5 minute spell before half time. The whole team played well , passed the ball well and were on the front foot , looked a different class to AFC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we took advantage of a very poor team which we have struggled to do.
  • Options
    Was able to be there today, had that been a full house the roof would have come off when we scored the third. Maddison looks like he is starting to be the player we know he can be. We still have those  periods of play when we take our foot off the gas, and look shaky. 
    Great to have  Tommy S at the game.  Full marks to LB/JJ for the subs, Jonny getting his goals and around play. Oh yes the good times are 2yrs away!!!. COYRS
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Gunter took a lot of stick (justifiably so) for his performances as a CB but put him in his correct position and he looks exactly like the player we hoped he'd be.
    Not sure it was totally justifiable. He was playing out of position alongside another player out of position, so 2 peas out of their pod so to speak
  • Options
    For Paddy:

Purrington was on long enough to out skill the defender in the box and then get on the end of the move after Jonny's flick.

Fans never miss Purrington's mistakes but don't seem to give him credit when he does good things.

Sage did TBF.
    There are a lot of players who seem to fall in that category, this season and previous ones.

I think at the next Football League AGM Thomas should put forward a motion to change our name to Scapegoat Athletic.

Some of our fans can be shockers.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't agree with those saying that Wimbledon were poor. I thought that both teams contributed to a good first half, always moving the ball forwards, and going with the intention to score, and I felt like I was watching a different league because it was by far the most entertaining match of the season.
    So at half time I was quite happy. I would rather see that and accept some defeats. Playing defensively and winning like we did back in the 'Inniss / Famewo' partnership was all fine and dandy, but when you defend and lose then I get fed up with it.
    I said that Bowyer needed a rethink and also that if you play both Madison and Williams then you need to attack. My excitement at the second half performance was such then that I accidentally punched my ten year old boy celebrating Williams's goal! 
    Then too my surprise and delight we didn't defend the lead. Just what the doctor ordered. Then we murdered them: just like Norman Bates doing the two killing strikes on Saturday 12th December. Will it be 60 years again until we ditch Wimbledon into the South London swamp?
  • Options
    For Paddy:

Purrington was on long enough to out skill the defender in the box and then get on the end of the move after Jonny's flick.

Fans never miss Purrington's mistakes but don't seem to give him credit when he does good things.

Sage did TBF.
    That's 5 goals Purrington has scored for us, a decent ratio

In the match thread I was slightly puzzled why Ben was there in the first place to score a poachers goal, but not complaining!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    redman said:
    Can't believe people thought we were that poor in the first half. We we decent (and the better side) except for 10 minute spell just before half time. However we certainly stepped it up second half and then withe subs stepped it up again.
    Having said that best player on the pitch first half was Pigot. Superb exhibition of how to play as CF even ignoring his goal. Impressive the way he didn't celebrate when he scored. How some of the crowd were slagging him off I don't know. Would love to have him back in January. 
    Only real downside of today was seeing Chucks limp off after the warm down holding his hamstring. Don't expect to see him Tuesday chaps!
    Don't tell Covered end that Bogle's got to play 90 minutes against Bristol Rovers as
    CE said he's the worse striker he's seen in 50 years at the valley ! 

Not sure that's true as we've had some poor strikers over the years (as well as some crackers)
    I wouldn't even say Bogle is our worst striker in the last 5yrs😉
    I am not sure Bogle is even the worst striker of 2020.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I think  the first half was a classic example of what we have been doing wrong lately. We played too slow with not enough energy and didn't create enough against a team with bodies behind the ball. The introduction of Williams and Aneke changed the dynamic. In the second half, it was clear before we equalised that we were playing braver football and trying to be quicker in our moves and more incisive,
  • Options
    Well we can also see what happened when we played higher tempo and more direct. Hopefully they can also see it and we dont go back to the passing sideways and backwards style 😂
  • Options
    redman said:
    We weren't good in the 1st half though. How many chances did we actually create, other than the goal? The Wombles manager commented on how we stepped it up after half time, watching Quest Ally Maxwell also commented that we weren't good in the first half.

Expected goals shows this. We really came alive in the second half, and especially after the subs came on

what a load of total crap this is! Even Thomas driesen could do better than this !