Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Charlton v AFC Wimbledon | Sat 12 Dec 2020

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    I saw a reference to Tom Allen on Sky, and I assumed it was a sports reporter with the same name as the ubiquitous comedian, but no!

He went to school in Chislehurst - Coopers - so maybe he's a fan?
    He is my mates mate (one of them turn outs!). Safe to say he isn’t a Charlton fan. 
    So what was he doing there? Odd.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the 2nd half, good to see us come back from behind and dominate. Hopefully we can have more of that attacking intent more often as we'll blow the majority of teams away in this league. Really liked the new Valley pass coverage as well. 

I don't think we've been great this season but we're 2 points of the top 2. A good January transfer window could really set us up for an exciting 2nd half of the season 
  • Options
    At the game. 

The first half was slightly better rubbish than last week and the players rightly got booed off. The second half was brilliant when Gilbey came off, the atmosphere and performance on the pitch was finally in-sync. 
  • Options
    It was Cafc  best comeback since  21/12/57 against Huddersfield at the valley when we were 1-5 down and scored 6 goals and won 7-6. and those of us who didn't slag the team off in the first half and predicted we would still win ( one person did !) If we could get at their defence. I realized Rovers put 4 past their leaky defence last week so knew once Aneke and Williams could be fed with the ball we could emulate Rovers. Maddison was on his game and loved his free role where he can play right or left or down the middle. 

The headmaster Bowyer called Jonny Williams off the naughty step and made me look like I know what I'm talking about.

With Smyth out injured we have to play attacking full backs to give width. 

Mega issues having both Inniss and Famewo out and if we only buy two players in the January window it has to be another striker and a CB.

• Options
    DDOUBLEE said:

Now it's Gilbey's turn for the cryptic tweets...
    What a performance. A terrible one.
    Apart from one cross field ball he did not do anything bar pass back the way the ball came. Did even get his shirts dirty. At least Bogle works hard.
    Been deleted now. What did it say?
  • Options
    Only seen the highlights, but it is a long time since we've seen Charlton on the rampage like that and it makes great viewing.
    Width, tempo, movement, it was all there and what a great day to do it with TS at the Valley.
    Winnable games coming up, so I'd like to see us establish ourselves in the top 3 at the turn of the year, when hopefully we may have a couple of important players back including Famewo.
    Full marks to LB and the lads.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

Now it's Gilbey's turn for the cryptic tweets...
    What a performance. A terrible one.
    Apart from one cross field ball he did not do anything bar pass back the way the ball came. Did even get his shirts dirty. At least Bogle works hard.
    Been deleted now. What did it say?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    redman said:
    Can't believe people thought we were that poor in the first half. We we decent (and the better side) except for 10 minute spell just before half time. However we certainly stepped it up second half and then withe subs stepped it up again.
    Having said that best player on the pitch first half was Pigot. Superb exhibition of how to play as CF even ignoring his goal. Impressive the way he didn't celebrate when he scored. How some of the crowd were slagging him off I don't know. Would love to have him back in January. 
    Only real downside of today was seeing Chucks limp off after the warm down holding his hamstring. Don't expect to see him Tuesday chaps!
    Not sure if we are being whooshed.......anyone else see Aneke limp off after the warm down (although I doubt there were many people left in the ground by then)
  • Options
    I actually think Gilbey has the potential to be a decent player, but I just don't know if it is for us and the system we play in.
  • Options
    Watching that, have they narrowed the pitch? There seems to be a big gap between the sideline and the east stand.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I actually think Gilbey has the potential to be a decent player, but I just don't know if it is for us and the system we play in.
    I cant understand how he got Player of the Year at three clubs (Colchester, MK Dons, Wigan) and promotion to the Championship with the latter - Might just be a simple case that he doesnt suit our system but cant write him off yet on that basis
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I cant understand how he got Player of the Year at three clubs (Colchester, MK Dons, Wigan) and promotion to the Championship with the latter - Might just be a simple case that he doesnt suit our system but cant write him off yet on that basis
    Agree although I don’t see how a player like him doesn’t suit the system. I would have thought the diamond would have been perfect for him. I just don’t think he’s playing well but will hopefully improve. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Absolutely loved the 2nd half. Same again on Tuesday please but without the painful sight of Omar Bogle who was shameful imho.

Let’s learn from our mistakes for once and stop playing the players whose only role in the team is to lose the ball and spend the game sulking and moody. How unfit does Chuks have to be to choose Bogle over him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Just reading around elsewhere, it's amazing how some of the chief "Bowyer Out" vocalists don't seem to be able to find anything - anything - positive to say about a 5-2 home win.

It's almost as if they would prefer to see us lose just so they can be proven right.

What a miserable existence they must lead. I pity them.
    Consistent if nothing else
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Off_it said:
    Just reading around elsewhere, it's amazing how some of the chief "Bowyer Out" vocalists don't seem to be able to find anything - anything - positive to say about a 5-2 home win.

It's almost as if they would prefer to see us lose just so they can be proven right.

What a miserable existence they must lead. I pity them.
    Consistent if nothing else
    Pitiful
  • Options
    Well we’re up and down like a lady of the nights under garments at the moment.........we’ve got our Charlton back😂😂!!!!!!!!!.... well done Lee and the lads, in particular the ones that have received a bit of stick and are now showing some character. I get so much joy seeing Johnnie Williams face and reaction when he scores.Our new leader Thomas really gets Charlton, which is for an outsider an amazing thing, because only a Charlton fan would know that special feeling and the reasons why we all feel that way. Hopefully the negative vibes have switched bowyer on a bit more, which I think was needed, but credit where it’s due, well done bow’s onwards and upwards!!!. 
  • Options
    Started off better than last week but first half was pretty poor. Much better second half, We need to play on the front foot more often. We are better than the majority of teams in this league so lets show it more often by attacking them from the off. Very happy for Johnny Williams and Bowyer, lets sweep last weeks shit under the carpet and kick on.  Not a fan of Gilbey on the left and JFC on the right means they have to constantly cut inside whenever they get the ball to be on their stronger foot, it's clearly not suiting Gilbey at the minute as he has been awful for the last 3 games.

• Options
    That was the best game this season by a mile not least because I was there. Maddison is a must start player; he and Darren Pratley are my men of the match. So well done Marcus. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    That was the best game this season by a mile not least because I was there. Maddison is a must start player; he and Darren Pratley are my men of the match. So well done Marcus. 
    You should watch the re-run of the game... He wandered a few times leaving Pearce to have to do extra work, enabled them to get off 2 or 3 extra shots.