Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Charlton v AFC Wimbledon | Sat 12 Dec 2020

Comments

• Options

Watching our goals again .......... you can't help but remember Bowyer saying that most goals are scored in and around the 6-yard box - and that's why he's always telling midfielders to continue their run into the box.

Particularly today with the Forster-Caskey and Williams goals.
    Plus, of course, Purrington doing what all good 'fox-in-the-box' strikers do and anticipating where the ball is going to fall. 

• Options
    WE’VE GOT OUR CHARLTON BACK !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Sublime second half performance. Love it.
  • Options
    I haven’t had time to catch up on this and I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but it’s no surprise that we score goals when the midfielders make runs into the box, chucks immense again and so so pleased for Williams, can just put last weekend behind him now, no reason why he can’t add goals to his game, super talent!
  • Options
    Little word for JFC I thought he played very well today and maddison is class there's no doubt. Certainly didn't see that scoreline after 45 mobs but credit to LB and just sooo pleased for Johnny. 
    I think we play a much better style of football when JFC plays
  • Options
    Little word for JFC I thought he played very well today and maddison is class there's no doubt. Certainly didn't see that scoreline after 45 mobs but credit to LB and just sooo pleased for Johnny. 
    I think we play a much better style of football when JFC plays

.........in the right position!
  • Options
    Wow, I think we all needed that second half and result!

Genuinely surprised that those watching on stream seemed to be less negative about the first half than I was. In the ground there just seemed a whole bundle of nothingness about us; ploddy, ponderous, unadventurous and bar Washington’s goal out of nothing, completely toothless going forward. 

It was an extension of the last two games and I’ll be honest I was very worried that we had a team that was falling into massive underperformance territory.

we had much more verve about us from the start of the second half and the additions of Williams and Aneke definitely helped crack it up a notch. 

It was a comfortable win in the end and you could see a weight seemed to be lifted off shoulders in the second half. It was soooo nice to cheer a goal and have a smile on your face in the stands again

We still have a long way to go though and have to improve considerably.  This squad / side is far behind the one from two years ago. But hopefully this is a turning point and we go on and play a lot more positively in the coming period. 

Smiles and cheers from a win but no getting carried away. Wimbledon were very poor. 

The voice of reason. That’s the game I watched.  
  • Options
    Our 5th goal is absolutely hilarious if you just watch Purrington. He has absolutely no right to carry on his run after he lays it off. Continues into the box and takes up the position of a centre forward waiting to receive it back, lingers, doesn’t get the ball and then gambles again to end up able to poke the ball over the goal line. It’s exactly the kind of goal you only score in injury time when you’re already 4–2 up. At any other point in the game Bowyer would have beaten him to death for that series of choices. I love that he decided to do it though, and it paid off for him 
    For a player that many claim doesnt get forward, its a run he's made before now late in the game
  • Options
    Lots of talk last week about Bowyer losing the dressing room,well if that is losing the dressing room,it will be a sight to behold when he gets it behind him.So much effort all round,so pleased for Jonny,this guy is a gem and if him and Maddison keep fit they will form the best midfield pairing in this league.Boggle is suffering a bit,but he has his job to do.Chucks clearly for some reason is not a 90 minute player,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our 5th goal is absolutely hilarious if you just watch Purrington. He has absolutely no right to carry on his run after he lays it off. Continues into the box and takes up the position of a centre forward waiting to receive it back, lingers, doesn’t get the ball and then gambles again to end up able to poke the ball over the goal line. It’s exactly the kind of goal you only score in injury time when you’re already 4–2 up. At any other point in the game Bowyer would have beaten him to death for that series of choices. I love that he decided to do it though, and it paid off for him 
    For a player that many claim doesnt get forward, its a run he's made before now late in the game
    Purrington was playing in midfield so more right than usual to be in the box.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I saw a reference to Tom Allen on Sky, and I assumed it was a sports reporter with the same name as the ubiquitous comedian, but no!

He went to school in Chislehurst - Coopers - so maybe he's a fan?
    He is my mates mate (one of them turn outs!). Safe to say he isn’t a Charlton fan. 
    So what was he doing there? Odd.
    He’s been doing a bit of work for Sky Sports / LGTB - He was at West Ham the other week and also on Soccer AM. But yeah, it’s bit of a strange one I guess. 
  • Options
    Great second half. At least now we’ve got 8 of 9 players that looked like they belonged yesterday. Maddison, JFC, Williams, Gunter, Maatson, Chucks, Washington all really played well. Well done to Bowyer for attacking with the defensive limitations that we have. If you look at Gilbert’s strengths- driving with the ball, long distance passing and getting around the pitch then why not play him at the base of the diamond? No idea why he started on the left again. Watson did as well as he could yesterday but any movement ether side of him and he just can’t react quick enough. Again lucky not to get booked- as soon as he’s one on one he has to try to foul. I’m sure Gilbey could play that role more effectively. And against quicker team without Famewo we will get exposed for pace in the break.  Maybe this is the time that Deji makes his name. He’ll add some much needed mobility at the back.  Would be great to see him come back like a new signing! And please in the transfer window a back up for Chucks is so needed! COYA
  • Options
    Both teams demonstrated why you shouldn’t be too cautious when you are winning by only one goal, Wimbledon more so because they were 2-1 up and time wasting. As Louis Mendez pointed out in a tweet, 2 minutes after their goalkeeper got booked for time wasting at 2-1 they were losing 3-2. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Davo55 said:
    I thought we played well all game except for the 5 minute spell before half time. The whole team played well , passed the ball well and were on the front foot , looked a different class to AFC.
    Agreed. I just don't understand some of the negative views of our first half performance. Obviously it got nowhere near the heights of that second half showing but for 35-40 minutes it was a major improvement on the performances against Burton, MK and Shrewsbury. 
    For me it was not a major improvement, or at least not for as long as you mention. I won't compare it to the MK Dons game because they were just the better side.

But after the first 20 minutes the way we played in possession was no different to Burton or Shrewsbury. We didn't lose the ball at the back like we did against Burton, but that's because Wimbledon didn't press us like they did - and we didn't look as likely to concede as against Shrewsbury but Wimbledon didn't have any pace to hurt us.

However once Wimbledon changed it up in that first half and stopped us playing through JFC and Maddison we slipped back into the same predictable patterns of play - passing along the back line, and cutting back when we advanced up the pitch due to lack of options and movement.

However the moment the second half started, even before the subs, this all changed. I'm not sure what we did, though I feel it might be to do with the full backs being more attacking, but we played with alot more pace and purpose and there were so many more options. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer clearly disagrees with me though looking at his comments!
  • Options
    I agree Afka - unfortunately modern day football at all levels doesn’t seem to last 90 mins any more - it’s 60 mins of nothingness abc then depending on the score, they engage in a game - most prem games r like this - wolves being the worst for it - we partially have an excuse in that our players who can actually play can’t last 90 mins - hopefully sort that in the window 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    AFKA sums it up well. It could have gone very badly had we waited any longer to make the subs but looking back, there were signs that Dons wouldn't be able to maintain their shape when confronted by players that ran at them.

Overall they looked physically weaker than us and when Terrell Thomas went off, they became an utter shambles at the back. LB has been pragmatic; he knows his star players are burst players, so tries to wear down the oppo physically and mentally before picking them off. 

There will be much greater tests than this one. It was great fun and should breed confidence but we do have frailties. 
  • Options
    FFS AFKA clearly plagiarises my post and starts to rake in the likes and plaudits. People will do anything for a promote!
  • Options
    Who did the tunnel jump? could hear it in the background of JW's interview
  • Options
    rina said:
    Williams certainly did... think Pearce as well from images I've seen on twitter
  • Options
    rina said:
    Pearce... eventually.  I think everyone was thinking it was nailed on Jonny to do it but he got collared by Minto at the end and we waited a while for it to happen.  I suppose it’s been a long time since the players have had a chance to do it....
  • Options

Some people are easily pleased.

You'd better hope.so, Santa. After the year it's been I'm hoping for decent presents.