Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Charlton v AFC Wimbledon | Sat 12 Dec 2020

Comments

• Options
    Oh that’s it, he’s lost the dressing room. 
  • Options
    Pleased I invested the ten quid after all.

I enjoyed the post match coverage too.

Thought Pratley and Gunter were excellent today. 

Hope we can keep that shape.  With Williams and Maddison it makes it very difficult for the opposition.  Much more variation than the slow, slow, stop, stop, slow of recent weeks.  
  • Options
    So then comes the question was J Blocks information duff? Or was the player overreacting?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    first half poor, then chucks and williams come on - hopefully in the window we will bring more in that are at their level and be able to have a 90 minute threat 
    Are you sure you were watching our game?

Poor 10 minutes at the end of the 1st half, but we were exploiting space and creating chances. I thought Maddison played well, and tactically the front two splitting to the wings left their back three marking each other forcing their full backs to play as a back five. FC playing right side didn’t work for me, but we had clearly identified a weakness there and tried to exploit it all game.

Second half we were superb with most of our attacks coming down their left and Gunter took full advantage of the space, and what a game he had. Chucks outstanding and Williams busy. Comprehensive well deserved victory. Roll on Tuesday. COYR!
    there were a few decent performances first half but had we not brought chucks and williams on, we would not have won that game - our goal was a great individual effort but don't kid yourself that we looked like a good team first half coz we didn't. 
  • Options
    A brilliant second half performance, the best 45 we've played for a long time. It started before the subs came on, as the energy and intent was so much better, and then bringing on Williams and Aneke was a big leap in quality too.

It also has to be said that we weren't great in the first half, better than MKD and Shrewsbury, but still too slow and predictable. Other than the goal we didn't really create any other decent chances, indeed Wimbledon had the better chances when you consider the one Gunter cleared off the line.

Our second half performance showed how we should be playing, aggressive on the ball and positive. 
  • Options
    Missed it today but oh a much better Saturday evening! Great for Williams and Bowyer. 
  • Options
    Which is why, instead of Bogle (1 goal and 1 assist in 668 minutes this season), had we had Pigott (9 goals and 4 assists in 1401 minutes and involved in more than half of Wimbledon's goals) starting we wouldn't need to rely quite so much on Aneke winning the game for us. Pigott has a much better first touch than Bogle too so the ball would stick a bit more up top.

Is a player swap in January plus say £300,000 from us too far off the mark?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t enjoy being negative after a 5-2 win, but the class difference between Aneke & Williams and Gilbey & Bogle is massive.

Huge impact by those two players. Delighted that we've won and scored 5 goals. Do need a good January window if we are serious about finishing top 2. 
  • Options
    We had a pop and rightly so at Bowyer last week for his treatment of Johnny Williams. 

But that Johnny Williams today was absolutely immense when he came on, was everywhere winning the ball and going forward with intent. 

Maddison whilst not overly effective going forward as he can be, but did a lot of donkey work. 

I think the team got the kick up the arse it needed not just last week but going in 2-1 down today. 
  • Options

Now it's Gilbey's turn for the cryptic tweets...
  • Options
    “Jake took to getting in to the box like water”...not a duck to water....just water. Thanks Lee.
    What a ridiculous failed analogy by Bowyer that was, Bowyer out! :) 

Shows sometimes as football fans we need to turn it in and let the people who are qualified just do their jobs. My main concern with Lee was outing players to the press but the players he has openly criticised have all responsed well so clearly he has their respect. 

Williams lightning, Gunter solid, Aneke unplayable and Maddison oozes class at times. Great turnaround and hopefully we can keep it going, great result as I didn't see a way back after going 2-1 down with how we have recently been I'll be honest 
    Just for the record I’m not slagging him off....I know he isn’t the sharpest knife in the draw, it just made me chuckle. Obviously I Bow(yer) to his management skills. 
  • Options
    A cracking day in the EFL, looking forward to the Quest highlights. Hull losing has stopped them running away with it, while 2nd place Lincoln were put in their place by Sunderland

Ipswich consistently lose against the better teams, they've lost to Pompey, Charlton, Hull, Sunderland, Lincoln and Doncaster now!
  • Options
    A completely different proposition after the substitutions - finally some genuine build-up play and real quality on show in the final third.  
  • Options
    What a day. Thomas choked with emotion at the reception he received, Maddison showing real class in a MoM performance, Chuks doing what Chuks does best when he came on and Williams proving a point to Bowyer - as well as muscling two Wimbledon defenders off the ball. Magnificent!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw a reference to Tom Allen on Sky, and I assumed it was a sports reporter with the same name as the ubiquitous comedian, but no!

I love this. Can we have him covering the match every week? :joy:
  • Options
    Excellent second half, we have to find a way to play well when Chuks isn’t on the pitch though. The difference when he comes in for Bogle is scary. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So then comes the question was J Blocks information duff? Or was the player overreacting?
    Will be intriguing to get an update ... as said at the time, I felt the player was over reacting 
  • Options
    Is it the first time ever that three substitutes have scored for Charlton in the same game?
  • Options
    Couldn’t watch today but so pleased with that. We’ve had a wobble and that should steady the nerves everywhere from fans to players. Something to build on. Terrible news re Akin Famewo and we really need in my opinion to get another centre back in now. Without him and Inniss the defence looks weak. 
  • Options
    I don't think Aneke plays with the same intensity when he starts games. Bowyer has stated before that Bogle wears the defenders down then Chuks, who is the more skilful of the two, comes on and takes advantage. It's worked before, it worked today.

I liked the way we mixed the play today with Amos sometimes playing short, sometimes kicking long. Generally it's been one or the other and therefore predictable. A lot of players deserve credit today but I'll leave that for the marks thread but huge respect to Jonny Williams who did brilliantly after what happened last week.

Enjoyed the new Valley Pass coverage and great that it debuted with a seven goal game.

Only saw the second half, as at work.
    Bogle certainly wears me down! He needs to simplify things instead of the unnecessary twists and turns. He's forever falling over. I'd have Pigott over him any day of the week. 
    I thought that Chuks and Jonny were great, but Gunter and JFC were superb, especially Gunter. 
    Great to see Maddison finally playing like a team player. If he keeps doing that he'll be a huge asset for the rest of the season. 
    Also think it's a bonus to have Purro coming on and pushing Maatsen forward. 
  • Options
    Williams goals celebration is pure class