Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• Options
    ColinTat said:
    He doesnt take up wages as he's under 21.  
    He’s not playing for free
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    ColinTat said:
    He’s not playing for free
    His wages wouldnt impact the Salary Cap, hence why his wages wouldnt take up any room in the team is what Colin means
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    No but if he comes back then he's taking up a loan slot
    That only matters if we get a loan in to replace him. By all accounts we had one ready to play on Tues night. Thurs lunchtime & still no news. We will get to the transfer deadline still scrabbling around for players - David Davis anyone....??
  • Options
    Flogging a dead horse.
  • Options
    Losing our most exciting prospect in the last few years for peanuts it seems. It’s the Charlton way. I don’t blame TS as it was previous owners fault but frustrating none the less. 
  • Options
    If he signed a new 2 year deal with us and re-found his early season form for us he'd be getting a move to a much better team than Stoke. Shame as it's clearly his agent that's pushed this through more than anyone
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:
    If he signed a new 2 year deal with us and re-found his early season form for us he'd be getting a move to a much better team than Stoke. Shame as it's clearly his agent that's pushed this through more than anyone
    A risk, and by securing the move now he has mitigated that risk.
    'securing the move now' - done deal says bob !!
  • Options
    Wait how many loanees do we have? 

Famewo
    Smyth
    Millar
    Maatsen
    Shinnie

If all are fit and in a match day squad, that's all we can have anyway right? So any additional loanees either will replace one of these in the squad or won't make the squad, thus being a waste of money. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    sam3110 said:
    A risk, and by securing the move now he has mitigated that risk.
    'securing the move now' - done deal says bob !!
    Allegedly!  
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ColinTat said:
    But loan slots only count towards match day squad. You don't need Doughty, Millar and Smyth in the same squad (imo)
  • Options
    Happen by the end of today?.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    "Its not the lads choice...he wanted to come back...."

Maybe TS's choice....?  Get someone in now who can play half the season & maybe we could sign in the summer, rather than a player who plays the last 6 weeks & is then gone.
    Think it's probably Bowyer/Gallens myself - they won't want him to come back and take up wages/spaces if we'll get like 4 games out of him at half fitness at the end of the season. Just carrying dead weight then aren't we, and adds another job to the physio teams workload unnecessarily. 
    The decision was taken on medical advice and it was most certainly not the outcome Alfie wanted.
    Not listening to you anymore, you said you would “have a word” and tell your boss to take Bogle instead.  ;)
  • Options
    How is his injury healing going? A full hamstring tear is going to need some nursing back to full fitness 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    But loan slots only count towards match day squad. You don't need Doughty, Millar and Smyth in the same squad (imo)
    I’d agree with that. Although saying that if you had say Williams out injured and were playing 442 you’d like the option of one of them on the bench. 

Given injuries and the amount of games, I think having 6 loanees is a reasonable thing to do. Just never thought having Doughty back was good business given his injury. What would be an intelligent thing to do is let Stoke have him a bit cheaper and loan one of their players with Stoke paying the salary. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    If we’ve got a million, for a player who massively relies on his pace, coming back from a serious hamstring injury, and out of contract in 6 months seems like good business to me
    I agree. But let’s not forget the stick Roland got for selling Grant for more in fairly similar circumstances. Admittedly the injury is the difference but 1mil is very low risk. If he returns at 75% the player and fulfils half of his potential it’s an absolute bargain. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    LB, LWB,LW,RFD all the positions Doughty has played for us in about a season.

He's brought an attacking threat in games but having not played for so long, we need to move on. Sadly we have done so for now, but for the worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    If we’ve got a million, for a player who massively relies on his pace, coming back from a serious hamstring injury, and out of contract in 6 months seems like good business to me
    I agree. But let’s not forget the stick Roland got for selling Grant for more in fairly similar circumstances. Admittedly the injury is the difference but 1mil is very low risk. If he returns at 75% the player and fulfils half of his potential it’s an absolute bargain. 
    Main stick for Roland was that he let Grants contract get to 6 months as he did with so many others and that backed us into a corner.  TS never really had that chance with Doughty, how he manages other kids contracts will be interesting.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Main stick for Roland was that he let Grants contract get to 6 months as he did with so many others and that backed us into a corner.  TS never really had that chance with Doughty, how he manages other kids contracts will be interesting.
    Ah don’t get me wrong I’m not here to start defending Roland. But people were still annoyed at the price, but Doughty is going to be less. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Good signs so far. Both Barker and Maynard-Brewer have signed new deals this season off the back of one or two decent showings when we've needed them to play. Doughty should have been given a new deal after the Sheffield Wednesday match he started but Roland never did understand football.
  • Options
    I like Alfie but he’s no Ronaldo. A bit of a one trick pony.   If he wants to go and there is a doubt about his recovery (and I guess a question mark about future vulnerability) then cash in but spend the process wisely please.  I won’t lament his going as much as some of the others we’ve lost in recent years. 
  • Options
    Won't say too much about young players jumping ship too early, but thanks at least for agreeing to go now to an EFL club rather than totally shafting us
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Oh so here are all the posts coming saying he's not actually that good after all now he's left, classic.

We can't have one more situation like this where we get an absolute pittance for every youth player who comes through our system other than Lookman (I know he wasn't an academy player), obviously I realise there is the crossover from Roland but this is ridiculous to still be happening