Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    cafctom said:
    Ha! Expect some tunes to change very quickly now about the ‘lack of loyalty’, when Alfie was the one who stated he was keen to finish the season with us....
    No change of tune for me. This is like getting a final BJ from the missus who's eloping with the window cleaner. 
    BJ you say Davo, don't be too hasty 😉.
  • Options
    Says it all when a club who can not house more than 10,000 or so are more attractive than us. Bloody sad .
    Very true, but overflowing with parachute cash. However, if they don't get promoted before those payments stop they'll be in trouble.
  • Options
    what is the fee ? 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Says it all when a club who can not house more than 10,000 or so are more attractive than us. Bloody sad .
    Very true, but overflowing with parachute cash. However, if they don't get promoted before those payments stop they'll be in trouble.
    We’ve seen last year that clubs are not in trouble after illegally overspending in championship. 
  • Options
    what is the fee ? 
    650k up front. Would imagine there are some other clauses in there too like percentage sell on etc.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    When is he due back from injury? 
    End of Feb rings a bell 
    So he could be available for our run in.
    Edited: Silly question
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    fmaddick said:
    Is it hypocritical from Bowyer after formerly criticising those who won’t sign (and openly declaring they won’t play), or is there some caveat to that policy? For example, perhaps he thinks what we’re able to offer Doughty isn’t reasonable, whereas others were offered decent wages?

just a thought, as this seems odd to me after such a principled stance previously. 
    In Dillon’s case, it was about making sure we didn’t start the season with a goalkeeper with one foot out the door and that was 100% leaving a few games in.

It wasn’t a punishment for Dillon like some appear to believe, it was what Bowyer and co thought was best for the squad and the upcoming season.

Equally, bringing a player of Alfie’s quality back for the rest of the season is good news for the squad and should help propel us back up the table when he returns. He can then leave us at a point where such a move doesn’t disrupt squad balance.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    cafctom said:
    Ha! Expect some tunes to change very quickly now about the ‘lack of loyalty’, when Alfie was the one who stated he was keen to finish the season with us....
    No change of tune for me. This is like getting a final BJ from the missus who's eloping with the window cleaner. 
    Been there.....😉😊
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think getting him back on loan makes sense. Surely what would be better is a deal from 1st July? It’s no different and it means he doesn’t take up a loan spot. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I don’t think getting him back on loan makes sense. Surely what would be better is a deal from 1st July? It’s no different and it means he doesn’t take up a loan spot. 
    Alfie gets his pay bump now if the deal is signed this month.

If he signed starting July 1st, he either doesn’t get the pay bump until then or we pay the extra for six months which takes us over the salary cap.
  • Options
    Alfie gets his pay bump now if the deal is signed this month.

If he signed starting July 1st, he either doesn’t get the pay bump until then or we pay the extra for six months which takes us over the salary cap.
    How would it takes us over the salary cap? 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I suppose it depends how much extra he’s getting from a new contract but we have £2.5m to spend in a season. Guessing he makes about £1k per week currently and his Championship contract will be worth £10k per week? That would seem to be about the average for teams with promotion aspirations these days.

That’s a £200k+ dent in our £2.5m allowance for the year. Gallen has said publicly that we are pretty much right up against that limit unless we can offload some players this month.

Maybe this is part of the compromise. Stoke/QPR/Bournemouth pay us £200-250k less in transfer fee but make it up by paying the wage difference for us.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    cafctom said:
    Been there.....😉😊
    As long as it wasn't the wife cleaning the windows and the window cleaner doing the...
  • Options
    What is the point of using up a valuable loan space on a player that's injured? I really don't see the point of it
  • Options
    I suppose it depends how much extra he’s getting from a new contract but we have £2.5m to spend in a season. Guessing he makes about £1k per week currently and his Championship contract will be worth £10k per week? That would seem to be about the average for teams with promotion aspirations these days.

That’s a £200k+ dent in our £2.5m allowance for the year. Gallen has said publicly that we are pretty much right up against that limit unless we can offload some players this month.

Maybe this is part of the compromise. Stoke/QPR/Bournemouth pay us £200-250k less in transfer fee but make it up by paying the wage difference for us.
    He’s exempt from the cap
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    What is the point of using up a valuable loan space on a player that's injured? I really don't see the point of it
    You can sign as many players on loan as you want. The limit is only on the maximum number of loan players allowed in a matchday squad. Since an injured player won’t ever be in a matchday squad, it’s not an issue.
    It’s not an issue now but will be when he gets back. Admittedly with Smyth and Millar being fairly similar, we will just have to pick two of those three. 
  • Options

He’s exempt from the cap
    Fair enough. I thought any player before born 1st Jan 2000 counted towards the cap if they signed a new contract but probably wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    cafctom said:
    Been there.....😉😊
    As long as it wasn't the wife cleaning the windows and the window cleaner doing the...
    Because the wife's not good on ladders?
  • Options

He’s exempt from the cap
    Fair enough. I thought any player before born 1st Jan 2000 counted towards the cap if they signed a new contract but probably wrong.
    Not quite. The length on his deal wouldn’t change, just the terms, I.e. his salary. So he wouldn’t count until next summer if for example he had signed a new 18 month contract. 
  • Options

He’s exempt from the cap
    Wasn't it any player under the age of 21 on 01/01/2020? So for this season, he's under. Next he's over. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He’s exempt from the cap
    Wasn't it any player under the age of 21 on 01/01/2020? So for this season, he's under. Next he's over. 
    And even then his wage will be classed as the average £1.8k or whatever, rather than what he's actually being paid (which will be significantly more than that you assume)
  • Options
    I've given Bowyer plenty of criticism recently but posters moaning he is inconsistent/unfair on sales I don't get... Who gives a shit how unfair he is to the players, he does what he thinks is best for the club and has to balance finance and team.  He has made the right call each time to date imo.

Initially I was not convinced by Doughty coming back on loan given he will remain injured for a while, but IF we make play offs then you want the best players possible in your team and we are unlikely to get better.

It would be funny if he played and scored in the final to get us up to the Championship with a great owner and going places... Whilst celebrating he might shed a tear about having to move to the sh1t hole that is Stoke instead of staying.  😂
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    You can sign as many players on loan as you want. The limit is only on the maximum number of loan players allowed in a matchday squad. Since an injured player won’t ever be in a matchday squad, it’s not an issue.
    So just taking up medical resource then. Good. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    cafctom said:
    Been there.....😉😊
    Window cleaner or husband?
  • Options
    MattF said:
    That's a steal if he can get over this injury. Imagine if we got deals like that done!