Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

Comments

• Options
    I dont see the point of the loan back option. I think he will just stay here to regain his fitness I cant see him playing for us again. GL to him and hopefully he has a great career although I think he would have been better off longterm to have stayed
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Think it’s a great deal for us when you consider the circumstances.

We get money now and a very good sell on % with maybe some extra clauses.

We don’t lose him to a club cross border where we don’t have a chance of any kind of decent amount for him.

He comes back on loan where he doesn’t count towards any cap (not that we would be paying anything for him anyway).

He should, all fingers crossed, be available for around the last 17 games or so, plus the play-offs if we get there.

It’s not a bad deal really at all.

Doughty and Millar either side of Schwartz with Aneke coming off the bench is strong for this division.

Let’s hope we manage to see that sometime before the season is up. 
    Couldn't agree more. Let's hope that % is good.

• Options
    And Washington continues to be forgotten lol 😉
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    And Washington continues to be forgotten lol 😉
    Just how he likes it, for half a game. 
  • Options
    This is actually an ideal sale compared to others we've had to be honest. A lower fee to a middling club will mean that any profit would be immense, and the size of the club pretty much guarantees a future sale if he does well. If you sell a potentially world class player to a very big club you may as well have a 100% sell on fee, he's not going anywhere. Best thing for us is Stoke get promoted and then Doughty does well in the Prem and gets signed for big money by a bigger club
  • Options
    Sounds like as good a deal as possible under all the circs although I’m not as a rule a big fan of players being loaned back for a few months after signing.  Makes them a bit of a target for the boo boys who might claim that their heart isn’t in it (not that the boo boys can attend at the moment but the point is nevertheless made).  In any case we are now well served in the speedy winger camp with Miller and Smyth. I wouldn’t play Miller on his wrong wing just to accommodate Alfie if the latter has essentially left us. 
  • Options
    Sounds like as good a deal as possible under all the circs although I’m not as a rule a big fan of players being loaned back for a few months after signing.  Makes them a bit of a target for the boo boys who might claim that their heart isn’t in it (not that the boo boys can attend at the moment but the point is nevertheless made).  In any case we are now well served in the speedy winger camp with Miller and Smyth. I wouldn’t play Miller on his wrong wing just to accommodate Alfie if the latter has essentially left us. 
    I thought Doughty had some of his better games out on the right personally.
  • Options
    The signing is still risky as it assumes a full recovery from the injury - always a risk signing an injured player whose pace is a key quality.

I'm surprised we couldn't get him to sign a new contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With the salary cap in place, there was no chance of retaining him, especially when his agent could see another pay day looming on the horizon.
  • Options
    The signing is still risky as it assumes a full recovery from the injury - always a risk signing an injured player whose pace is a key quality.

All to do with his agent. Reckon if Sandgaard was in a bit earlier and we offered it in the summer, maybe with a clause to speak to clubs higher up if we didn't get promoted end of this season, we would've had a chance
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

All to do with his agent. Reckon if Sandgaard was in a bit earlier and we offered it in the summer, maybe with a clause to speak to clubs higher up if we didn't get promoted end of this season, we would've had a chance
    That was the type of contract I expected and it would have given us a transfer fee. He's still pretty raw and would have been guaranteed a start at Charlton.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Have to look at this as a signing. He's a loan signing now. And we're a club once again suffering with injuries, and we're signing a player who is long-term injured!

Not only that but it's such a serious injury that he will have to be nursed back to fitness so very slowly. Not on board with this.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:
    That's a steal if he can get over this injury. Imagine if we got deals like that done!
    We have, buy selling him. My gripe is ,why loan him back when we need a centre half !
    No I mean, we never get really decent young players at a good price. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    IAgree said:
    So much for loyalty! 

Get a few quid for him and leave if he doesn’t want to be at Charlton.
    Top bloke whose decision to which to remain with us on loan and help us get promoted shows his integrity.........I think! 
  • Options

This maybe suggests he won't be going to Stoke?
  • Options

• Options
    Alfie was coming back on loan supposedly so I doubt the Clarke deal would impact
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2021

I don’t understand. Stoke need a winger, Doughty is injured and they have to loan him back to us as part of any deal. They still need a winger until the end of the season so they loan one.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Use the fee to buy Baah. He looks a better prospect than Doughty!
  • Options
    Against a bloke who had no right to be right back! 

Sage for me I feel like Aneke and likely Schwartz both have to start. Do you think Doughty and Millar would work as traditional wingers in a flat 4-4-2 or is that a little too old school. 
  • Options
    I have been researching the lad a bit today and he looks a great prospect. 
  • Options
    I have been researching the lad a bit today and he looks a great prospect. 
    Fair enough, he took both his goals exceptional well. So I don't doubt he has talent - but he was not as effective when we changed formation and he up against Gunter. 
  • Options
    I am not thinking about this season, but he is 17. Scored a great goal against Wigan a few weeks ago.
  • Options

The word is that Bob Munro has been suggesting young Jack to the Stoke management all week. 
  • Options

Sage for me I feel like Aneke and likely Schwartz both have to start. Do you think Doughty and Millar would work as traditional wingers in a flat 4-4-2 or is that a little too old school. 
    Don't they both play on the left?
  • Options
    Looked lost against a proper full back and was taken off. Is there anything about Charlton you like?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

Don't they both play on the left?
    I believe they are both left footed, but have also played on the right wing. Which is not uncommon for wingers.