Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• comment on NZ .. Jamieson could be the new Hadlee/McGrath (yes, I know he's an Ozzie)
  • I have just listened to a podcast which touches on the rise of left handed batsmen at the top level.

A couple of years ago I raised this very topic on here specifically in relation to why there are so many left handed batsmen as against left handed golfers. My argument is/was that batting should be top hand dominant and that still holds. The other aspect that comes into this is which eye is dominant.

When I originally raised this, the one thing I couldn't get my head round was why so many batting line ups at international level were left handed. I would suggest that the average number of top order batting left handers in club cricket is one - neither of the top sides of the two clubs I am associated with actually have a single left hander. But when one looks at the make up of Test batting line ups most have at least two (bar the ones I mention below) and in the case of a top three, the differential between the two has in the last 20 years or so been minimal. In fact, since 2000, 84% of Australian openers have been left handed. 

So why is this so? Fundamentally, because the LBW law that dictates that if a ball pitches outside leg a batsman cannot be out. Over 50% of balls delivered to a left hander by a right handed seamer that would have hit the stumps actually pitch outside leg. For that reason and the advent of DRS, twice as many right handers are out LBW than left handers. Left handed bats are equally as vulnerable to left arm seamers but how many, for example, left arm bowlers have we produced in the last 20 years in Test cricket?

Of course, the other question is why does a right arm bowler not go around the wicket more often to left handers and why are they not more successful doing so? The reason is that the bowler has to have the ability to attack both edges of the bat and to straighten the ball coming around. And that is a skillset in itself. Plus you are now no longer inviting the caught behind or in the slips and there is every potential of you being clipped through the leg side doing so.

Note I have consistently talked about "seamers". The reason I have done so is because the stats are not the same for spinners as they do not, as a rule, push the ball across the left hander - an off spinner will come around the wicket to a left hander, pitch it in line so still has the main three modes of dismissal available to him including LBW but, more to the point, they turn the ball away to the left hander. And that is why the likes of England, Australia, NZ and West Indies have a far higher number of left handers than their Indian counterparts do not. Because, at home, the former countries rely on seamers to take wickets whereas India are far more influenced by spin. Things are starting to change in this respect because there are fewer and fewer old school right arm off break bowlers - more and more are leg break bowlers or have the ability to bowl liquorice all sorts.

Fascinating stuff. Well it is to me anyway!  
    I’m pretty sure I remember David Gower speaking many years ago about how right handed people (like him) should theoretically be left handed batters (like him) and that he was always surprised how few people batted what he considered to be the “correct” way round.
    I may even have mentioned it on here, but I can’t be arsed to look. 😎
  • I have just listened to a podcast which touches on the rise of left handed batsmen at the top level.

A couple of years ago I raised this very topic on here specifically in relation to why there are so many left handed batsmen as against left handed golfers. My argument is/was that batting should be top hand dominant and that still holds. The other aspect that comes into this is which eye is dominant.

When I originally raised this, the one thing I couldn't get my head round was why so many batting line ups at international level were left handed. I would suggest that the average number of top order batting left handers in club cricket is one - neither of the top sides of the two clubs I am associated with actually have a single left hander. But when one looks at the make up of Test batting line ups most have at least two (bar the ones I mention below) and in the case of a top three, the differential between the two has in the last 20 years or so been minimal. In fact, since 2000, 84% of Australian openers have been left handed. 

So why is this so? Fundamentally, because the LBW law that dictates that if a ball pitches outside leg a batsman cannot be out. Over 50% of balls delivered to a left hander by a right handed seamer that would have hit the stumps actually pitch outside leg. For that reason and the advent of DRS, twice as many right handers are out LBW than left handers. Left handed bats are equally as vulnerable to left arm seamers but how many, for example, left arm bowlers have we produced in the last 20 years in Test cricket?

Of course, the other question is why does a right arm bowler not go around the wicket more often to left handers and why are they not more successful doing so? The reason is that the bowler has to have the ability to attack both edges of the bat and to straighten the ball coming around. And that is a skillset in itself. Plus you are now no longer inviting the caught behind or in the slips and there is every potential of you being clipped through the leg side doing so.

Note I have consistently talked about "seamers". The reason I have done so is because the stats are not the same for spinners as they do not, as a rule, push the ball across the left hander - an off spinner will come around the wicket to a left hander, pitch it in line so still has the main three modes of dismissal available to him including LBW but, more to the point, they turn the ball away to the left hander. And that is why the likes of England, Australia, NZ and West Indies have a far higher number of left handers than their Indian counterparts do not. Because, at home, the former countries rely on seamers to take wickets whereas India are far more influenced by spin. Things are starting to change in this respect because there are fewer and fewer old school right arm off break bowlers - more and more are leg break bowlers or have the ability to bowl liquorice all sorts.

Fascinating stuff. Well it is to me anyway!  
    I’m pretty sure I remember David Gower speaking many years ago about how right handed people (like him) should theoretically be left handed batters (like him) and that he was always surprised how few people batted what he considered to be the “correct” way round.
    I may even have mentioned it on here, but I can’t be arsed to look. 😎
    No source to back this up - but I think I remember hearing graham Thorpe was a left handed batsman because he’d bat that way round to be more difficult for his brothers to bowl him out 
  • Just got this email. Good news that the Pakistan series will be a test event, so can have a higher capacity than 25%

Dear Ticket Purchaser
    I hope this email finds you well.
    Following the recent announcement by the ECB, we are delighted to let you know that the men’s Royal London Series ODIs between England and Pakistan will be part of the Government’s Events Research programme, which allows capacities to increase from the current restriction of 25%.
    Further details on capacities and spectator arrangements are being worked through with the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, ECB as well as Public Health England and our own Safety Advisory Group.
    Once these details are finalised and our capacity is confirmed, we will contact you with further information regarding any necessary ticket refunds (which we hope will be very limited) and match day arrangements for the ODI on 10 July. Please only contact the Ticket Office in the meantime if you have an alternative urgent enquiry.
    We look forward to welcoming you to Lord’s very soon.
    Yours sincerely,
    Marylebone Cricket Club
  • Brewing nicely, this. Gwan, add a second reserve day
  • serious jug avoidance from Kane there
  • Got to laugh at the ICC. Inaugural competition & they have the final rained offed. Next time hold it somewhere like India where it's not affected by the weather.....or just not hold it at all. 
  • Got to laugh at the ICC. Inaugural competition & they have the final rained offed. Next time hold it somewhere like India where it's not affected by the weather.....or just not hold it at all. 
    There is still one day to go due to the 6th Reserve Day. You never know what might happen albeit that the draw is the massive favourite. 
  • Sponsored links:

• NB Eng v SL T20 starts 6pm today.
  • India are, effectively, 71-4. Still a bit left in this game.
  • Make that 77-5
  • 110 ahead and 6 down. Prices for the result are

Draw 4/7 (1.58)
    NZ 9/4 (3.25)
    India 14/1 (15.0)
  • What a grab from Nicholls! V much on now!
  • edited June 2021
    Pant out. India effectively 124-7. The draw is now odds against!

Edit - followed by Ashwin on the same score
  • Lady in the crowd yelling DROP IT as the ball fell towards Nicholls and he celebrated by pointing at her :D
  • 8 down now.
    Game on
    What do you reckon now Golfie?
  • Sponsored links:

• 9 down and 138 ahead. 

7/1 available on the "dead cert draw" now Golfie
  • edited June 2021
    170 all out

NZ win 138 to win the World Test Championship off 53 overs

NZ 1/6
    India 10/1 
    Draw 25/1
  • I love watching this NZ team play.
  • Sibley's drawing this game
  • I love watching this NZ team play.
    Proper cricket team. Hard but fair. Their Captain is proof that you can be both a great player and a winner and still retain an element of humility.
  • NZ in a final in England. Another tie?
  • crazy how such a small country can have one of the best cricket teams and one of the best rugby teams in the world. 
  • In the old days when a batsman played a forward defensive and the ball hit the middle of the bat you could hear a pin drop. Nowadays, whoever is playing and at most levels of the game, all you hear is "whey hay, ooh aah, ohhhh"  and other exclamations of excitement from any and even all of the members of the fielding side!
    What do you reckon now Golfie?
    O didnt realise that they took the extra day. I assumed after 2 days lost to rain that they were finishing yesterday. 

Looks a good finish (I've got it on in the background whilst I work). I think NZ will win but could run out of overs of they lose a few more wickets & go into their shells.
  • Here's an idea. 
    What if a 6th day was reserved in all test matches in case a day has been lost to the weather. 
    Sounds good to me.