Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    There again, it looks like Morgan's whispered in Sam Curran's ear and asked him to bowl a few half volleys and long hops!

That is rubbish.
    I wasn't actually being serious but I do agree that over was rubbish
  • Options
    From Cricinfo :"If this goes truly disastrously for SL, would the teams consider just throwing in an additional iT20? Give the spectators value for their money." -- Beer match with the Hundred's rules?

The ECB would be wetting themselves with excitement at the thought that England could play a Hundred game too today thus legitimising their baby even further. Which is probably a very good reason not to make that particular suggestion!
  • Options
    Yeah t Curran is the dernbach of this era, decent death bowler… but what else can he do? 
  • Options
    Hasaranga does all the hard work and gets out for a start in the deep. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    In the last 5 months Billings has played for the Thunder, England and Kent the grand total of 11 games. He's batted 10 times and amassed a total of 175 runs but in none of those innings has he faced as many as 30 balls.

Billings is 30 now but says that he has aspirations to break into the Test side. He made his First Class debut over 10 years ago but has only played 71 matches in that discipline during that time and I really do not see how you can do that if you only play one or two CC matches a year. Why else did Bracey get the opportunity in front of him? No one could realistically argue that Billings isn't the better glove man and their averages are very similar.

This will continue to do so all the time he is happy to be utilised as a bit part player and drinks carrier by England. Sadly, I think that he wants his cake and to eat it too.

Rob Key has also just made this very point. But he also pointed out that some of those games were for Loughborough so ,in reality, Billings has only actually played about 60 CC matches
  • Options
    Umpire to SL batsman wanting a wide to be called "I'll decide that not you. Alright? Now get on with it"

Great stuff. And something that a lot of players in the amateur game could learn from.
  • Options
    Woakes "dropped" after this 5 fer in the last game and replaced by Tom Curran who has 3 for 447 in his last 10 ODIs. Another "tried and tested formula". 

We are the World Cup holders, Morgan must be getting something right

Woakes has hardly played a game and is being rested again.

I am not disputing Morgan's captaincy  but don't get his desire to bat first against an extremely poor team. We should be, for once, thinking about those who have paid decent money to watch a game of cricket.  Where is the kudos in beating such a poor outfit this way? 

Equally, now 12-3 so  what are we going to learn about the batsmen who don't ordinarily play like Billings if we are chasing next to nothing

I think we are getting a decent game of cricket.
  • Options
    Woakes "dropped" after this 5 fer in the last game and replaced by Tom Curran who has 3 for 447 in his last 10 ODIs. Another "tried and tested formula". 

We are the World Cup holders, Morgan must be getting something right

Woakes has hardly played a game and is being rested again.

I am not disputing Morgan's captaincy  but don't get his desire to bat first against an extremely poor team. We should be, for once, thinking about those who have paid decent money to watch a game of cricket.  Where is the kudos in beating such a poor outfit this way? 

Equally, now 12-3 so  what are we going to learn about the batsmen who don't ordinarily play like Billings if we are chasing next to nothing

I think we are getting a decent game of cricket.

The proof will be if we get the runs and how quickly we do it. This looks like a road and I fancy chasing 350 would be a proper game.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what tome England's innings starts? That could be a good time to stop work today
  • Options
    Does anyone know what tome England's innings starts? That could be a good time to stop work today
    About 40 minutes ago. Or approx 10 minutes after you posted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Umpire to SL batsman wanting a wide to be called "I'll decide that not you. Alright? Now get on with it"

Great stuff. And something that a lot of players in the amateur game could learn from.
    Literally had a player say “yeah and?” On an lbw appeal against a left hander when the ball pitched about a foot and a half outside of leg. It was in a Sunday village game so probably not the keenest cricketing minds!
  • Options
    So, the 10 things we found out from this game are that:

(1) This current Sri Lankan team are incapable of setting a competitive total

(2) Sam Curran is an intelligent bowler and particularly effective when conditions suit

(3) Tom Curran is struggling to take wickets at this level

(4) It doesn't matter how big the boundaries are Morgan is reluctant to give Moeen Ali a bowl 

(5) England would rather go with "tried and tested" bowlers than give someone new a chance to show what they can do even against the weakest of opposition

(6) Roy, Bairstow and Morgan are capable of bullying any opposition attack, let alone a weak one, on a road

(7) Root is one of the best in the world at scoring at a run a ball without ever taking a risk

(8) Billings is a very good fielder but is equally adept at carrying the drinks for England

(9) The result is far more important to England than entertaining the paying public

(10) We already knew all of the above so, actually, gained absolutely nothing from this match
  • Options
    So, the 10 things we found out from this game are that:

(1) This current Sri Lankan team are incapable of setting a competitive total

(2) Sam Curran is an intelligent bowler and particularly effective when conditions suit

(3) Tom Curran is struggling to take wickets at this level

(4) It doesn't matter how big the boundaries are Morgan is reluctant to give Moeen Ali a bowl 

(5) England would rather go with "tried and tested" bowlers than give someone new a chance to show what they can do even against the weakest of opposition

(6) Roy, Bairstow and Morgan are capable of bullying any opposition attack, let alone a weak one, on a road

(7) Root is one of the best in the world at scoring at a run a ball without ever taking a risk

(8) Billings is a very good fielder but is equally adept at carrying the drinks for England

(9) The result is far more important to England than entertaining the paying public

(10) We already knew all of the above so, actually, gained absolutely nothing from this match
    I enjoyed seeing England win as well.
  • Options
    At some point a big team will put England in, and we will then have to front up and set a big target. Surely you need to practice this, especially as everyone knows we prefer to chase and are very good at it.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57697159

England fast bowler Ollie Robinson is free to play cricket again immediately despite being given an eight-match ban for historical racist and sexist tweets.
    Five games of the ban are suspended for two years and three have already been served, after he missed the second Test against New Zealand and two T20 Blast matches for Sussex Sharks.
  • Options
    Morgan said after the last match that we would be looking to experiment. This is a "dead rubber" after all and we are playing a poor outfit.

Well we've won the toss again. And we are going to bowl. Again. Conditions dictate. And we've experimented by replacing Wood with Woakes.

I give up
  • Options
    33-3

If you do want you've always done, you'll get what you've always got
  • Options
    Isn't 33-3 a good score if you want the bowling side to win?
  • Options
    42-4

Morgan will not give a "flying fxxx" about those who have paid meaningful sums to watch a game of cricket.

Equally, when Garton is needed against India or Australia or whoever because we have a shedload of injuries but has no experience Morgan will claim that they haven't had an opportunity previously to give him a game.

And potentially we will have a batsman who won't get a bat again today who has scored, in all forms of the game for county and country the grand total of 84 runs. When has any England batsman, apart from last year when we had the pandemic issue, been selected to play in July with that number of runs behind him?

• Options
    Chizz said:
    It isn't all about winning this match though is it? The fact is that we could probably win this game with a 3rd string side but we aren't giving those who lack experience a chance in the middle. In addition, how do we chase down a decent score against the likes of India if we always choose to bowl first?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sri Lanka have lost a wicket every 16.3 balls in the first 10 overs this series. That's the worst for any side in a bilateral series (min 3 matches) this century.
  • Options
    63-5 

All of the top 5 out
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It isn't all about winning this match though is it? The fact is that we could probably win this game with a 3rd string side but we aren't giving those who lack experience a chance in the middle. In addition, how do we chase down a decent score against the likes of India if we always choose to bowl first?
    Choosing to bowl first gives you the very, very best practice in chasing down totals. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Choosing to bowl first gives you the very, very best practice in chasing down totals. 
    I've done it again but putting 350 on the board might be better batting first
  • Options
    Can’t figure it out myself - surely the modus operandi this morning would have been - let’s put ourselves under pressure - if we had lost the toss we would have been put in so let’s simulate that. 

This England side have enough class to beat the Sri Lankans ever if the conditions are against them ? 
  • Options
    87-6
  • Options
    Fancy us to do this 
  • Options
    There are ten points up for grabs in this match in the qualification for the 2023 World Cup. 

If we missed out on qualification, but were able to point to the fact we'd given more players a go, would everyone be happy? 

Should we have let in a few goals in the first half against Ukraine yesterday? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    There are ten points up for grabs in this match in the qualification for the 2023 World Cup. 

If we missed out on qualification, but were able to point to the fact we'd given more players a go, would everyone be happy? 

Should we have let in a few goals in the first half against Ukraine yesterday? 
    If we are going to struggle against one of the worst teams in the world, batting first and giving Billings a bat and then giving Garton a bowl then how are we going to beat the better sides when circumstances dictate that we have to give them that opportunity against the better teams?
  • Options
    116-7