Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    I'd say that Livingstone is in front of billings now too ( barring keeping) 
  • Options
    redman said:
    AA - your analysis sounds pretty sound to me. However it is also fairly short term, because after a couple of years or not batting or keeping enough he is unlikely to get picked up in Big Bash, IPL, H or whatever (certainly not at a decent payoff) let alone England. 
    Can't disagree with that but I think it comes to that thing about being part of the England set up as long as he possibly can - one for the other opportunities that presents and two for the monetary gain. If he says to England that he is fed up with being the drinks carrier they will thank him for his service and unless he then does something fairly spectacular back at Kent he will rapidly become the forgotten man.

Both the counties and England operate like this - they pick the ones that they believe are good enough to hold down a place and in the case of Billings are good all round eggs who can fill in when required so they remain fixtures in the squad too. It's all about keeping that whole unit happy without any disruptive moaners in the camp. 

If anyone wants evidence of that let me throw one name out there - Alex Hales. I suspect that Morgan will not have him back regardless of how well he is batting. He averages over 50 in T20 this season but  he and England went  called up the younger Banton who is doing well too. And Banton carried the drinks. Who is also more likely not to moan behind the skipper's back about not being given a crack? 

I also don't actually believe that Billings is the type of guy who will want to do a Darren Stevens. Playing county cricket can be a real grind at times. On a much smaller scale my son is playing in a three day county U18 game this week, meeting tonight at the hotel and leaving at the end of the game on Thursday. But the forecast isn't great. Lots of sitting around but in his case there is that element of freshness and excitement because it's a whole new experience. Last week Kent 2s put out a strong side that contained the likes of Kuhn in it for a four day game against Sussex. The first three days were washed out and my understanding is that, because of the covid situation, the players spent most of the time sat in their hotel. It's one thing touring with England with the best food, hotels, beaches, swimming pools etc etc but a totally different experience playing for Kent - which is why I can't see Billings carrying on for many more years anyway and why he will make hay whilst the sun shines. Perhaps this is Kent's understanding too which is why they gave both Cox and Robinson 3 year contracts and why Bell-Drummond retained the captaincy when Billings returned for a couple of games this season. 

• Options
    Maybe Billings is just an old-fashioned, patriotic, passionate lover of cricket and his country and is willing to do whatever it takes to get any opportunity to win caps playing for England.  

And, maybe, despite that, he's simply not quite good enough to take the place of extremely talented rivals.  

In other words, the case of Billings is exactly what we want - a committed, excellent player, pushing better players as hard as he can, as much as he can.  I think that's a good thing. 
  • Options
    /Chizz said:
    Maybe Billings is just an old-fashioned, patriotic, passionate lover of cricket and his country and is willing to do whatever it takes to get any opportunity to win caps playing for England.  

And, maybe, despite that, he's simply not quite good enough to take the place of extremely talented rivals.  

In other words, the case of Billings is exactly what we want - a committed, excellent player, pushing better players as hard as he can, as much as he can.  I think that's a good thing. 
    Yep I bet each and every one of Morgan, Bairstow, Roy, Root, Malan, Buttler, Stokes etc etc wake up in a cold sweat at the prospect that the drinks carrier, who has a T20I average of 16 and scored 47 runs for England in the last 10 months, will displace them in the team. Especially when they know that he isn't going to get a chance to prove his worth anyway. 

• Options
    I think you're being a little harsh on Billings. It would take a brave man to turn down an England call up even if you arent likely to play. What if that one injury happens and you get a run in your best role and grabbing it with both hands and making yourself undroppable (see Malan).

As I said before were it not for that awful shoulder injury Bilbo would have been back up batsman in the 2019 world cup squad and would have played those 3 matches when Roy was injured and I would bet he would do a better job than Vince did. He would have a world cup winners medal right now. 

Its frustrating for the county cricket fan as it lowers the standard - even more so when he is in the IPL and not playing (see Tom Curran and Roy - at least Sam Curran plays when he is there). Is he in danger of doing long term damage to his career? potentially. Also see TC - until the T20 this season it was more than 2 years since he had pulled o a surrey shirt in any format, in that time he had been largely carrying drinks for England (or getting smashed around the park when he did play) or not playing for one of the franchises. I am glad that with some game time this year TC seems to have been able to get some form back for Surrey and perform better for England too. I still think some 4 day cricket for Surrey would benefit his form further. He simply needs overs in his legs. I think the same goes for Billings perhaps he should skip a franchise comp so that he can play for Kent and regain some form.
  • Options
    Wow ! 

Many thanks for that extremely detailed & informative piece, AA. 

Whilst I think I understand why it is what it is (where have I heard that before ?) as an ordinary, run of the mill but pretty passionate ( careful!) Kent supporter, I want loyalty & 100% from our players and, somewhat like my feelings about club v country in the Euros thread, I edge towards success for my county, but only just.

And I DO enjoy watching England play cricket more than football IYKWIM. 

When it comes down to the nitty gritty, I guess money is king. Sad but true. 

But despite that factor, Bilbo will continue to do as he's doing for as long as he's wanted.

Not a bad life, is it  ! 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57732043

England will name a new squad for their ODI series with Pakistan after three players and four staff members tested positive for Covid-19.
    The team were due to begin the series with an ODI in Cardiff on Thursday.
    But tests administered on Monday returned seven positive results and the rest of England's party will be required to self isolate as a result.
    The ECB said Ben Stokes will return to captain a squad which will be named in the next few hours.
  • Options
    Why was it that cricket teams seemed to adopt the term 'bio-secure' bubble when, well, it's not been secure at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Poor Billings - he still can't get a bat even when half the team have covid
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is one more implication of this isn't there? That is that players will be pulled left right and centre from the current CC games with Crawley being one of them. Kent 2s are currently playing in Durham so no doubt there will be a knock on effect there too.

Another kick in the teeth for County cricket.
  • Options
    There is one more implication of this isn't there? That is that players will be pulled left right and centre from the current CC games with Crawley being one of them. Kent 2s are currently playing in Durham so no doubt there will be a knock on effect there too.

If Stokes wins the toss, I hope he bets first, or we will never hear the end of it.
  • Options

If Stokes wins the toss, I hope he bets first, or we will never hear the end of it.
    This is Pakistan and not Sri Lanka
  • Options

Aren’t they playing at Beckenham ? 
  • Options
    Hearing Crawley has been called up from ITK sources. Posting it on the rumours thread
  • Options

I hope he doesn't.  There are rules about that sort of thing. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Aren’t they playing at Beckenham ? 
    1s are at Old Trafford and yes sorry 2s are at Beckenham
  • Options
    /Chizz said:

No rules just a bit of respect and decency to those who pay Morgan's wages
  • Options
    /Chizz said:

I think there are rules about this sort of thing. And they come with substantial punishments.  Rightly so. 
  • Options
    I bet Garton will really enjoy someone else getting their opportunity to make their debut for England before he did. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    darren stevens, your time has finally come.
    Not ready yet
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    /Chizz said:

I think there are rules about this sort of thing. And they come with substantial punishments.  Rightly so. 
    It would be career ending if Stokes did that.  He would certainly get a fine and a ban.  Possibly even a prison sentence.  And it would make it very difficult for IPL teams to pick him. 

And the suggestion that it's how Morgan's wages are met is very dodgy.  I would never suggest that - if he were to read this thread he'd have every right to be seriously offended. 
  • Options
    Alex Hales recall  ? 
  • Options
    Hearing Crawley has been called up from ITK sources. Posting it on the rumours thread
    If so, it shows their belief in him as he isn't in form
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Sorry you know I meant bats first, you are taking it a bit too far
  • Options
    Alex Hales recall  ? 

I mentioned him yesterday and how Morgan chose to call up Banton and not Hales. Now if Hales doesn't get called up when he averages over 50 in T20 this season then that really will send one very loud message to him. But, of course, it won't be Morgan's team will it? It will be Stokes and he is good mates with Hales. It just depends whether Stokes can influence Morgan and the selectors to pick him.

There is one issue with them doing so and that is that coaches, captains and selectors like to give as many opportunities as they can to those they rate and trust and as few as possible to those they don't. So what if Hales scores a ton? He has to then be right in the mix for future squads doesn't he? 
  • Options
    New squad

England Men's ODI Squad 
    Ben Stokes (Durham, captain)
    Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire)
    Danny Briggs (Warwickshire)
    Brydon Carse (Durham)
    Zak Crawley (Kent)
    Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire)
    Lewis Gregory (Somerset)
    Tom Helm (Middlesex)
    Will Jacks (Surrey)
    Dan Lawrence (Essex)
    Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire)
    Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
    Craig Overton (Somerset)
    Matt Parkinson (Lancashire)
    David Payne (Gloucestershire)
    Phil Salt (Sussex)
    John Simpson (Middlesex)
    James Vince (Hampshire)
  • Options
    No stevens so we riot, right?
  • Options
    Alex Hales recall  ? 

I mentioned him yesterday and how Morgan chose to call up Banton and not Hales. Now if Hales doesn't get called up when he averages over 50 in T20 this season then that really will send one very loud message to him. But, of course, it won't be Morgan's team will it? It will be Stokes and he is good mates with Hales. It just depends whether Stokes can influence Morgan and the selectors to pick him.

There is one issue with them doing so and that is that coaches, captains and selectors like to give as many opportunities as they can to those they rate and trust and as few as possible to those they don't. So what if Hales scores a ton? He has to then be right in the mix for future squads doesn't he? 
    And there you have it - no Hales