Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    In the last 5 months Billings has played for the Thunder, England and Kent the grand total of 11 games. He's batted 10 times and amassed a total of 175 runs but in none of those innings has he faced as many as 30 balls.

Billings is 30 now but says that he has aspirations to break into the Test side. He made his First Class debut over 10 years ago but has only played 71 matches in that discipline during that time and I really do not see how you can do that if you only play one or two CC matches a year. Why else did Bracey get the opportunity in front of him? No one could realistically argue that Billings isn't the better glove man and their averages are very similar.

This will continue to do so all the time he is happy to be utilised as a bit part player and drinks carrier by England. Sadly, I think that he wants his cake and to eat it too.
  • Options
    In the last 5 months Billings has played for the Thunder, England and Kent the grand total of 11 games. He's batted 10 times and amassed a total of 175 runs but in none of those innings has he faced as many as 30 balls.

Billings is 30 now but says that he has aspirations to break into the Test side. He made his First Class debut over 10 years ago but has only played 71 matches in that discipline during that time and I really do not see how you can do that if you only play one or two CC matches a year. Why else did Bracey get the opportunity in front of him? No one could realistically argue that Billings isn't the better glove man and their averages are very similar.

This will continue to do so all the time he is happy to be utilised as a bit part player and drinks carrier by England. Sadly, I think that he wants his cake and to eat it too.
    Perhaps he is the permanent drinks carrier because he doesn’t complain about it. Can’t see many players being happy with how he has been treated by England. 

Surely more mileage for England to bring in talented youngsters to get them in and about the squad ? 
  • Options

Perhaps he is the permanent drinks carrier because he doesn’t complain about it. Can’t see many players being happy with how he has been treated by England. 

Surely more mileage for England to bring in talented youngsters to get them in and about the squad ? 
    I think therein lies in the issue and England will use him as such because he is a great fielder as well as being a decent keeper, covering three disciplines at once. The money also helps but it's not as if he hasn't got a bob or two anyway!
  • Options
    I can see England trying to smash these off in quick time so they can watch the football.
    "England need to make another 70 runs in 30 minutes if they want to watch the start of the football"
    "Root plays out a maiden to furious booing from the England balcony"
  • Options

I think therein lies in the issue and England will use him as such because he is a great fielder as well as being a decent keeper, covering three disciplines at once. The money also helps but it's not as if he hasn't got a bob or two anyway!
    So, does he still get paid by Kent ? Hardly feels as though he is a team player these days....
  • Options

So, does he still get paid by Kent ? Hardly feels as though he is a team player these days....
    I believe England will pick up his wages when he isn't available for Kent as well as paying him appearance money. What I'm not clear on is, as he isn't centrally contracted, what is paid to him for being a squad player and for touring. Presumably there is an additional payment of some sort. 
  • Options

And yet if he hadn't had that injury he would have been a world cup winner! He would have come in when Roy was injured and killed done a lot better than Vince.
  • Options

And yet if he hadn't had that injury he would have been a world cup winner! He would have come in when Roy was injured and killed done a lot better than Vince.

Roy was killed? My god that's the trouble with cricinfo fatal injuries to England players are ignored in favour of a kohli love in ..they know their market don't they
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Roy was killed? My god that's the trouble with cricinfo fatal injuries to England players are ignored in favour of a kohli love in ..they know their market don't they
    Lol no idea what I was actually trying to type there....
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Lol no idea what I was actually trying to type there....

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Good night was it Canters? 
  • Options

Good night was it Canters? 
    Excellent!
  • Options
    And here we go again - England win the toss and elect to bowl. According to Morgan it's a "tried and tested formula". Disappointing.
  • Options
    Woakes "dropped" after this 5 fer in the last game and replaced by Tom Curran who has 3 for 447 in his last 10 ODIs. Another "tried and tested formula". 
  • Options
    Woakes "dropped" after this 5 fer in the last game and replaced by Tom Curran who has 3 for 447 in his last 10 ODIs. Another "tried and tested formula". 

We are the World Cup holders, Morgan must be getting something right
  • Options
    This could be a very short match, Sri Lanka already 2 down and they're not in double figures yet, plus they've used up/wasted both of their reviews.

6-2 off 10 balls
  • Options
    12-3 all to S Curran.
  • Options

Woakes has hardly played a game and is being rested again.

I am not disputing Morgan's captaincy  but don't get his desire to bat first against an extremely poor team. We should be, for once, thinking about those who have paid decent money to watch a game of cricket.  Where is the kudos in beating such a poor outfit this way? 

Equally, now 12-3 so  what are we going to learn about the batsmen who don't ordinarily play like Billings if we are chasing next to nothing

• Options
    I'm going to say 84 all out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I am not disputing Morgan's captaincy  but don't get his desire to bat first against an extremely poor team. We should be, for once, thinking about those who have paid decent money to watch a game of cricket.  Where is the kudos in beating such a poor outfit this way? 

Equally, now 12-3 so  what are we going to learn about the batsmen who don't ordinarily play like Billings if we are chasing next to nothing

This. At least bat first & give the public something to watch - for for some of the "fringe" batsmen to get some time in the middle.

What do we learn from this, apart from we can keep getting Sri Lanka 30-3 off 10 overs & having to chase 200 (if its a 50 over match) or 100 if its a T20. 
  • Options

This. At least bat first & give the public something to watch - for for some of the "fringe" batsmen to get some time in the middle.

What do we learn from this, apart from we can keep getting Sri Lanka 30-3 off 10 overs & having to chase 200 (if its a 50 over match) or 100 if its a T20. 
    Especially when someone like Billings has batted 7 times and faced the grand total of 124 balls for club and country since he went on the tour to India - that is less than one ball a day

Now 21-4

• Options
    There again, it looks like Morgan's whispered in Sam Curran's ear and asked him to bowl a few half volleys and long hops!
  • Options
    Why is Tom Curran in this squad? 30 career ODI wickets at 40.40 and an economy rate of 6.12. Why not take the opportunity to look at Garton instead?
  • Options

I don't think Morgan does have a desire to bat first. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I don't think Morgan does have a desire to bat first. 

Well spotted - "desire to bat second" 
  • Options
    Why is Tom Curran in this squad? 30 career ODI wickets at 40.40 and an economy rate of 6.12. Why not take the opportunity to look at Garton instead?
    Garton probably was overlooked because Sam Curran and David Willey were selected as the opening bowling pair and they didn't want a third, left arm seamer.  
  • Options
    I agree he needs the time out of the side - he hasnt done enough in an England shirt for a while - I can see their reasoning. England need a back up death bowler for the T20s. Someone behind Archer and Jordan, not likely to play but in the squad as a backup. The majority of the rest of our quick bowlers are openers or middle over bowlers. With Topley frustratingly injured again and Mills unable to play this format why not give TC a go. I dont really see any other death bowling options out there.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Garton probably was overlooked because Sam Curran and David Willey were selected as the opening bowling pair and they didn't want a third, left arm seamer.  

I figured that too. But we never worry about having nothing but right armers in a side when we have no other option. And why not select Garton to replace Willey? If we do not know now what Willey is capable of delivering now we never will.

It should be about experimenting and giving some unexposed players a chance to show what they can do.
  • Options
    There again, it looks like Morgan's whispered in Sam Curran's ear and asked him to bowl a few half volleys and long hops!

That is rubbish.