Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    Vaughan does come out with some crap. On the TMS podcast last night he admitted saying he thought that broad and Anderson shouldn’t bowl away from home anymore. 

381 all our. First time since 1994 that a spinner didn’t take a wicket in the first innings in Sri Lanka. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I haven’t watched a single ball of this match. Does zero wickets for the spinners reflect their quality/performance or is it not a spinners wicket
  • Options
    A spinner just got Sibley out, so.....

• Options
    Crawley has had a few failures on this tour but if they drop him for Jennings in India then frankly Ed Smith can go jump in a volcano
  • Options
    Anderson continues to be just remarkable and irreplaceable .. the young openers are having a hard time of it so far
  • Options
    Also, talk of bringing in Jennings for India rather ignores that India's strength is fast bowling atm
  • Options
     Nervy start from us. 

Had it on the iPad quietly in the kitchen while washing up. Wife shouted from next room ‘what you mumbling about’, which gave me the glorious opportunity to say ‘that was Bumble, not a mumble’.

must be great living with me...
    Today is a great day.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I haven’t watched a single ball of this match. Does zero wickets for the spinners reflect their quality/performance or is it not a spinners wicket
    Just seen a clip of Tuffers showing the difference in the bowling action of the Sri Lankan who got the 2 openers out to Jack Leach. Loach's arm comes straight over so less of an angle to deviate from. Then again, Tuffers was showing this from what appears to be a hotel corridor....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Crawley has had a few failures on this tour but if they drop him for Jennings in India then frankly Ed Smith can go jump in a volcano
    Sibley's scores here have been 4, 2 & 0 and he has just 104 in his last 7 Test innings.  Whilst Crawley has only scored 22 in 3 innings here, he does have that 267 as his last England score prior to this series so I think that Sibley is more in danger of being dropped of the two. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Very surprised Jennings isn't playing to be honest. I suppose he's not good enough generally but his record in Asia speaks for itself. Personally would have had him opening and Crawley at 3 for the series but Bairstow did ok in the first test.  

That left armer must love it against our openers though, got them out all 6 times when they've scored 28 runs combined!
  • Options
    Just seen a clip of Tuffers showing the difference in the bowling action of the Sri Lankan who got the 2 openers out to Jack Leach. Loach's arm comes straight over so less of an angle to deviate from. Then again, Tuffers was showing this from what appears to be a hotel corridor....
    He's at The Oval!
  • Options
    Very surprised Jennings isn't playing to be honest. I suppose he's not good enough generally but his record in Asia speaks for itself. Personally would have had him opening and Crawley at 3 for the series but Bairstow did ok in the first test.  

That left armer must love it against our openers though, got them out all 6 times when they've scored 28 runs combined!
    England may be thinking about the summer and the Ashes next winter, but in Asia and especially Sri Lanka, Jennings would definitely be a better option
  • Options

England may be thinking about the summer and the Ashes next winter, but in Asia and especially Sri Lanka, Jennings would definitely be a better option
    It also doesn't particularly help playing spin that our top six here are all right handers - Jennings would have offered a different challenge to the spinners being a left hander as would Burns and of course Stokes.
  • Options
    Decent recovery by Root / Bairstow 
  • Options
    Watching the golf and cricket on split screen. Totally agree with @Leuth about Crawley. He should be in that top order for many years. The first hour tomorrow will probably decide a lot. 
  • Options
    Joe Root is batting like a god on this tour. Absolutely superb. Piles of runs still to come during his 30s, I hope. 
  • Options
    Root has now passed Boycott and only Cook, Gooch, Gower , Stewart and Pietersen ahead of him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always surprises me how high Pietersen is as for some reason in my head he didn’t have the longevity to be that high. 
  • Options
    SL and India are completely different bowling propositions, is the thing. SL have good spinners and popgun pacers. India have serious, good pacers. Sibley gets the first Test against India on that basis alone
  • Options
    To me Root is still the young cheeky chappy, not someone who's gone past Boycott now!
  • Options
    Was confused when they said Root gets his 50th half century when I was sure they said that in last test but then realised as he got a ton they remove that half century from the list !! 
  • Options
    Root a rare example of someone with far, far too many Test fifties
  • Options

It also doesn't particularly help playing spin that our top six here are all right handers - Jennings would have offered a different challenge to the spinners being a left hander as would Burns and of course Stokes.
    I think India’s seamers would have Jennings on toast 
  • Options
    Anderson is a freak
    Cummins is another who fits in this category from current world cricket. Their bodies are essentially perfectly suited to their bowling actions. Cummins will be bowling this well in ten years too. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Steyn also went on much longer than you might expect, due to the perfection of his action 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anderson is a freak
    Cummins is another who fits in this category from current world cricket. Their bodies are essentially perfectly suited to their bowling actions. Cummins will be bowling this well in ten years too. 
    Providing Cummins does not have a re-occurrence of his history of injuries (including a number of stress fractures). He made his Test debut at the age of 18 in 2011 against South Africa when he took 7-117 but didn't play again because of ongoing issues 'til 2017. 

That said, he doesn't have that many miles on the clock with just 35 Tests which makes Jimmy's tally of 157 matches even more remarkable.